About CW speed and more ...

Hi Armin and Guru. Thanks ever so much for your replies, I have taken what you say on board and yes looking at how I have been doing it ,now that you’ve both explained makes so much sense so a Big Thanks to both of you. Stay safe and all the very best 73

Allen

1 Like

Thanks, Andy, for bringing that post back here. Well, it confirms quite well what I just wrote above in this thread. At the present time my FT-817 keyer speed is set to 20 WPM and it’s been like that for quite some time (i.e. several activations)
This morning I activated with my MTR-2B and I think I went at about 22 WPM. I know it’s possible to change the speed, but I’ve never done it yet on this MTR and I don’t know how to do it. I know it’s explained in the manual but I haven’t got a chance or the mood to look at it yet.

Guru

3 Likes

Hi Eric! There are both sides. I’m honest with you, I love QRQ (40wpm in contests and 30wmp in SOTA) and when I reply to someone who transmits slower I often forget to slow down. Why? because for me the CW is like talking, I can’t think in dahs and dits, for me it is something musical and rhythmic. For example, if I go to France with very basic French, you will not speak to me slower but you will use easier terms.
Unfortunately the CW in most cases is poorly (or baddly) taught. I have read that many start at very slow speeds and this is counterproductive as it limits you to operate at a maximum of 15wpm in the future. The CW should not be learned as something mathematical but should be learned as a new language.
I think these are some reasons why many do not slow down. I understand that we have to slow down to people who answer us more slowly. But instead of a problem of values ​​I think it is a mismatch of customs.
73 Takeo

3 Likes

Hi Takeo San @JP3PPL

Thanks for your reply and I understand your point of view.
But I was mostly talking about SOTA, and for those who one day decide to switch to The CW. Due to the behavior of some hunters it can disgust them …
Just a reminder !

For my part I have no problem, I can at the same time do a CW QSO and answer my wife who came to ask me a question about a cooking recipe. :wink:

73 Éric

3 Likes

Got it! Sadly these are the display operators (decoders) and many of them know absolutely nothing about CW tips.
I am not at all against the new CW ops helping themselves with decoders, but if they do not know the basics, it is preferable that they do not operate.

3 Likes

Hi Eric

Catching up with CW is a project for me for the time after retirement at the latest. From time to time I listen to the CW SOTA frequencies to “suck in the music”.

I am pretty sure that I will cope quickly with a reasonable pace, since I will base on those 4 CW QSOs done 33 years ago, hi, so I won’t have a starting point at 0.0%. But there is that a bit difficult period in between where I must build up my ability, and I certainly will be happy with those partners who know where/how they can reduce the CW speed on their device and who certainly know what “QRS” means. But this is something in the future, the rat race wheel at my QRL turns too fast at present.

So looking forward to meet the pros like you somewhen for SOTA! :+1:

Vy 73 de Markus, HB9DIZ

2 Likes

Hi,

I will try to say a few things as I see them with regard to cw.
First of all I admire the activators, their cw, sending as well as copy/understanding is very, very good, outstanding in fact, generally I would say magna cum laude.

I chase the activators with qrp and a simple antenna, well the use of qrp limits the maximum cw speed one can use, I would say somewhere between 20 and 24 wpm, I use 24 wpm.

Head copy is something that comes automatically, starting with things that you hear on a everyday base, like 5NN, RST, name QTH etc.
My experience is that your capability to copy and send drops as soon as you leave the standard qso and enter free text/ragchew.

Good advice is to record from time to time your own cw sending and check the quality of your sending.
A recording device can also be useful to record your qsos, so if there are parts you did not copy 100% sure, you can hear them again.

One of the things that annoy me the most, and thats outside of SOTA is an operator who calls cq and after sending pse k is listening only for a second or 2 before starting again calling cq. At 24 wpm I can barely squeeze in the prefix of my call in the time he is not sending. This one can hear on a single day dozens of times without effort.

And last but not least a lot of operators outside SOTA are allergic against any remarks with respect to their operating techniques.

3 Likes

You’ve obviously not worked me while I’ve been activating sheltering from the horizontal driving rain! :grinning:

I do generally agree with your comment Patrick. Unfortunately my experience has been the poor standards exhibited by chasers who latch on to the fact that the SOTA summit area also applies to the scheme they are interested in. How many times recently have I heard appeals for these ops to listen!

1 Like

I’ve heard that professional CW radio operators have this ability [or had? - do they exist anymore?]. Meanwhile, the rest of us mere morals will admire that but also be jealous.

2 Likes

Hi Gerald G4OIG,
Chasing SOTA with QRP is not easy, especially when there is a pile up. The difficulty is with qrp you cannot penetrate the QRO pile up, so I try to place my call sending when the calling qrm in the pile up is getting weaker, but in doing so there is a risk to disturb the activator qso that might already be in progress. But far more often it is exercising patience and waiting until the pile up is over and hoping the activator is not going qsy fast.
For me with qrp I get best results during the week (less chasers) compared to weekends.
Paradise situation would be if the activator is not only regularly asking any /P stations? But also asking any QRP chasers?

2 Likes

When activating I typically set my keyer to something between 12 and 15 wpm. Some folk come back to me at the same sort of speed. Others run faster. I’ll work the ones I can read enough of. On a really good day with a clear signal and very low noise (from weather or RF) I might read a callsign and a signal report up to around 30wpm, given repeats. The ones who run too fast I simply won’t catch, as they’ll get lost in the noise.

Some rigs make it easier to change keying speed than others. My main rigs make it easy, and I adjust where necessary, but I’m already at the slower end, so don’t have cause to adjust speed often.

When I first started learning morse back in 2010 I tried to start fast, and it really didn’t work for me. (Having an actual teacher and more appropriate teaching tools than Koch might have made a difference back then. Who knows. I am where I’m at.) For morse contacts with me, please keep the overs short and repeat the important words. If you launch into a long conversation you will loose me. For a SOTA activation the contact’s mostly about getting the essential informaton exchanged, and nothing more, so please keep it brief.

I did, early on, try using decoders, and they really didn’t help me at all.

I know at least one OM who was an intercept operator many decades ago who does that, taking CW copy and holding an un-related conversation at the same time…

1 Like

Indeed Patrick. I spent a day with the HB-1A on the operating bench and by waiting and patience I managed to work 6 HB9 summits and 1 HB0 summit. Of course waiting can mean that the activator suddenly decides to go QRT and the chance for a contact evaporates. :frowning_face:

The ideal scenario of the activator asking for QRP does not often happen. Unfortunately I rarely remember to ask for QRP stations when activating as just trying to work through the pile up can call for concentration. Of course a request for QRP chasers would be made in the hope that those running QRO would not call. I think human nature might make this difficult for some.

73, Gerald

1 Like

Most times, SOTA pile-ups aren’t all that long-lived, and near the end things often get easier. When a SOTA’s combined with a *FF or similar I generally give up that chase.

Must confess I’ve never specifically asked for QRP (or QRS) callers when activating. I just pick the ones I can read.

2 Likes

Éric F5JKK’s original post was not just about CW speed, but more generally poor operating. Put simply, being a LID :slight_smile:

SOTA is no different to any other on air operating, in fact just like any dxing where a pileup forms. How to operate and behave in these situations is covered in detail by ON4WW & ON4UN (sadly SK last week) in their excellent Ham Radio Ethics and Operating Procedures

Here is what it says about calling in a pileup

III.1.3. How to behave in a pileup?

•Never call the DX station if you cannot copy him well enough.
•Make sure your station is properly adjusted before calling.
•Do not tune your transmitter on the frequency where the DX station is transmitting.
•Is the antenna in the right direction?
•Have you heard the instructions of the DX station? If not, wait and listen for instructions first!
•Listen.
•Listen.
•Listen and get acquainted with the operating rhythm of the DX station.
•If you hear frustrated hams making comments on the DX station’s frequency: keep quiet and wait until the chaos has subsided.
Only if all these requirements are met, can you call the DX station!

And a whole section on how to run a pileup!
73 Gavin
GM0GAV

8 Likes

Hi Allen.
If you are the activator, you are the ¨owner¨ of the rhythm and cadence of the operation. No one can force you to change.
But if you are a chaser you have to listen to what type of operation the activator does.
Now something about your procedure. If you feel secure with that, it is ok.
Here some tips:
Instead NAME you can use OP (operator)
You don´t need to send HR, but if you like it… DO IT!
Some confusing points:
The BTU means BK? there is a big difference between -… - …- and -… -.-
Good luck and enjoy CW
73 de JP3PPL

6 Likes

BTV ?
Are you sending faster than you can comfortably key here? Perhaps you should QRS a bit? :wink:

3 Likes

Ha! Amusing reply!

Excellent discussion. This is very helpful to this new chaser and soon-to-be-activator-I-hope.

2 Likes

New guy question: How does one ask for QRP?

1 Like

When running a pileup on SSB, after my 73 I will say “This is N1RBD activating WWW/XX-YYY. QRP, Mobile, and portable only. QRZ”

I supposed for CW you could do something like “de N1RBD QRP STNS KN” although I’m not sure how many SOTA chasers would know the meaning of KN.

1 Like

Oooo! Ooooo! We’ve been here before:

4 Likes