Abandoned activation

We’ve had weeks of glorious weather so when I realised I’d be able to get out in the hills today I thought I’d do my first activation in a year. I chose Cracoe Fell G/NP-032 which is quite local. Of course, it was just my luck that there was a little bit of rain forecast but I wasn’t going to let that worry me. As I got near to the top the drizzle and low cloud came. At the summit I set up the EFHW and then the heavens opened. Oh well, a chance for lunch while I waited for it to pass. And then one of the loudest claps of thunder I have heard. Since lightning, aerials and hills don’t mix well I quickly lowered the antenna and made my way down.

It wasn’t a complete waste of time. I enjoyed the walk and I’ve realised a few things with the antenna that could do with improving.

1 Like

You still managed to burn a few calories and get some fresh air. With my vertical antenna when doing SOTA, I have always thought of myself as a portable lightning rod. I usually do not wait for the first clap of thunder. When I see that cumulus start to turn to cu-nimbs I start packing. A few days on an activation with Tof, F5UBH, we knew that bad weather was coming in the PM. We started early and packed early and happily so. On the way back in the car I was hit by an amazingly strong hail storm to the point I was worried about the windshield and dents in the car. I sure was glad we were not on the summit anymore. The weather in the French Alps for the next few days looks fairly horrid as well…