A strange behavior

Hello All,

I have experienced that logging in to this forum does only work from my computer at home.
I am running since many years only Linux as operating system. Works UFB, No problems at all to log in here or into any other forum.

But trying from a windows machine (XP or Vista) at any other place, like my laptop at work or from a computer at a hotel or any other computer like my YL:s own computer with Windows XP - I cant log in to this site, sotawatch using the EXACTLY same username or password!

And yes, I am carefully that CapsLock is OFF… And I can log in to any other forums too…

Have anyone observed this before?

The reason for asking is I am going to buy a ultramobile PC, it comes with windows, I have been thinking about to change it to Linux, but will probably not.

73 / SM5KRI Chris

In reply to SM5KRI:

Not seen that problem Chris. I use Sotawatch from Linux and Windows XP machines at work, at home with no problems. My last post was from my WinXP machine and this comes from my eeePC701 running Linux. I’ve also used my Nokia 6120 to login in to Sotawatch.

Could it be that you have a non-ASCII (32-127) character in your password and the character sent from a Linux machine is different than when sent from Windows but the look the same on screen?

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to SM5KRI:
Hello Chris, I’m using four (4) different computers with Windows XP, 3 phone numbers and I haven’t noticed any loging problem yet. You could try to change
your password with Windows XP, and user name too. There is a slight possibility that operating sistems are not compatible.

Ogi ,9A7W

In reply to SM5KRI:
In order to have immediate access to the Add New Spot facility I do not log out of SOTA. Sometime last year, in addition to this PC I had use of a laptop for a few days, but found that I could not log on to SOTA by using the laptop. The solution I found was to log out of the PC and then to log in on the laptop.
73 de Mike, EI2CL

In reply to EI2CL:

I’ve got IE and Firefox on my laptop, I can read Sotawatch from both programs but if I’m logged in on one I cannot also log in on the other. Not that its a problem, just interesting info!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

I seem to be able to log in as many times as I like at the same time…

This is FF/WinXP

and this line was edited and added from FF/Linux

and this line added from the original XP machine without having to log in again.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:
Indeed… this reply in FireFox XP

…and this line added logged in at the same time using Google Chrome in XP (which seems to be a hybrid of FireFox and Safari anyway)

Might go and try the same from the Mac but it all seems to work.

You must have a Troll Chris (Nordic Trojan) hi :slight_smile:

73 Marc G0AZS

In reply to MM0FMF:

Quote Andy: “Could it be that you have a non-ASCII (32-127) character in your password and the character sent from a Linux machine is different than when sent from Windows but the look the same on screen?”

KRI: Well, could be possibly, but exactly same combo of user/password works fine on an another website I regulary visit, no matter what computer with Linux or windows I am using when logging in!

I will not dig into this too much now, will try later to figure out this.

I can mention that the last three days I worked in Stockholm, and tried to log in from a computer at the hotel I stayed two nights, no success at all!

Thanks everbody for your reply!

73 SM5KRI Chris

In reply to SM5KRI:
Some websites only allow you to log in if you have cookies enabled / allowed. Could this be the problem?
73 de Ken

In reply to GM0AXY:

In reply to SM5KRI:
Some websites only allow you to log in if you have cookies enabled /
allowed. Could this be the problem?
73 de Ken

Hello Ken, Generally I allow cokkies but not from 3rd part. If i see that i cannot log in to a site from an another computer, one of the first things I check is if cookies is enabled in the browser.

Problem solved!?

I have found that if I add an blank space after the password when logging in from a Windows computer, XP or Vista then I can get in to the reflector… FB!

…But still when logging in from Linux I must use the password WITHOUT that extra blank space!

Some sites I log in to with just ignore the blank space regardless of what OS I use, while others dont…