A mess with the new setup

Hi.

I’ve been in the process of lightening the weight of my backpack for a while now, so I’m doing some tests and changes to my station and procedures. Today I have gone up to EA6/MA-032 with the intention of doing a quick test of the new combination.

I have replaced my Yaesu FT-817 with a MTR3B without a LCD screen. CW p0wa!

As an antenna, I keep using my trusty EFHW (with traps) for 40m, 30m and 20m and have swapped the RG-58 cable for RG-316.

As a power source, today I tested a USB converter (9V and 12V), taking advantage of the fact that I always carry a small power bank with me. I was concerned about the electrical noise the adapter might cause, but I was pleasantly surprised that I could not detect any worsening in reception.

Problems I have encountered:

1. Intermittent electrical contact in the BNC to RCA adapter connector for the antenna, endangering the equipment during transmission and making reception difficult.
  2. Problems in the adjustment of a new leg paddles that I was given. :slight_smile: It has been impossible to use it in iambic mode, having to press dots and dashes separately. I’ve ended up mounting it on the board for convenience so they need a few more adjustments.

With this problems and considering that I am a novice in CW, my keying has been very poor lately.

My apologies to those who have contacted me these days. I will continue to debug my setup.

Work in progress…

73, Xisco.

14 Likes

Hello Xisco,
thanks for the qso today, I didn’t notice any trouble on your transmission.
Sure you will be able to fix the issues and enjoy with this little gear soon.

73 de Ignacio

1 Like

Hello Xisco,

did you consider replacing the RCA jack with a BNC jack?
I did the same when I got the MTR3B kit some years ago. It can be done easily. Never had an issue with it.
Looking forward to our next S2S QSO.

73, Roman

2 Likes

Hi Roman.

Yes, I’ve been considering the replacement and will probably make the change.

I just need to find a BNC socket that properly feets the enclosure, stays secure and does not loosen.

2 Likes