A Dozen Top Tips for SOTA

Hi Matt,
great video, great list. You have put quite some thought into it.
I’d add:

• know the time of the last downhill journey of the gondola, bus, …
  • in autumn / winter, know when sunset begins
  • nevertheless, take a small torchlight with you. This can help to get you home or serve as alarm.
  • don’t expect always to be in mobile cell coverage. take paper or offline electronic maps with you. When using offline maps, make sure the phone / GPS receiver is fully charged (my torchlight from above can also charge mobile phones)
  • if you follow the advice from SP6SUD and don’t let the weather deter you from doing SOTA, take a large plastic / IKEA bag as an improvised tent for radio and logging (I’m still using paper logging). This bag also serves as rope deposit when throwing an arborist’s weight (otherwise it is prone to tangle on anything)
  • leave the summit at least as clean as you encountered it.
  • After the activation, reflect on what was good, what was not so good. Your next activation will be better!

But the most important of all:

• Go out! Try it!

73 de Martin / HB9GVW

3 Likes

I enjoyed the video Matt. I want to put in a plug for the humble throw line and weight over a heavy and bulky mast. I know not everyone has tree covered mountains like we do here in NC but if you do, it’s a good and efficient way to get your wire up high. I also enjoy the sport of looking for just the right limb and getting it over in the first toss. Thanks again Matt. Scott kw4jm
PS: I make my throw weights from PVC filled with shot.

2 Likes