Other SOTA sites: SOTAwatch | SOTA Home | Database | Video | Photos | Shop | Mapping | FAQs | Facebook | Contact SOTA

A Day on the Orme

Returning home from visiting a customer in North Wales meant I was driving almost right past GW/NW-070 Gt. Orme again, so it would have been positively rude not to activate it.

Starting on 20m found just over 40 chasers and a QSY to 15m found one Canadian and 3 USA chasers on a band that I can only describe as rubbish.

10m FM found Roger MW0IDX and his XYL, Sue…Thanks guys.

40m was its usual struggle with 9 contacts.

The WX suddenly changed and threatening clouds appeared in the sky and once again the temperature dropped sharply. So much so, I donned the fleece I was carrying in the rucksack.

Did I go QRT or did I walk to the trig point with the H/H and rubber duck… No contest, it was off to the trig.

Mike G4BLH was first out of the traps, a good contact, followed by a very nice 82 mile hop with Phil, G6UYK/M in Kendal. It was Phils second call after an absence of over 20 years. They’re not all that easy Phil ;-).

By now, the wind sheer was making contacts difficult, so with eleven 2m calls in the log, it was time to make my way home.

Rather surprisingly, the Wouxun and rubber duck was virtually unaffected by the dreaded masts. However, I suspect, attaching it to the collinear would have been a whole different story.

Once again, thanks to all the chasers.

73 Mike
2O0YYY