9M2CDX, Wants to set up 9M2 region

Alright.

SOTA MT is very responsive. Yet, I just hope that they can facilitate SOTA application. Rely on available open source map if there is not quality mapping.

1 Like

A few moments using Google shows that Gunung Bintang is the highest summit in Kedah at 1860m vs Bukit Perangin at 717m which is around the 31st highest summit in Kedah.

You can argue Gunung Bintang is on the border with Perak and it could be that it is not a Kedah summit but there are still more summits in Kedah higher that Bukit Perangin.

This shows EXACTLY why we need to use maps and analyse the area so that we get an accurate and objective list of summits. It also shows that until we know the distribution of summit heights, we cannot allocate points as we do know how many summits there are. We can start with the highest summit as that will be 9M2/??-001 and worth 10 points but as Bukit Perangin is not the highest, we cannot start with that.

2 Likes

Actually it gets worse. Ive just looked at Bukit Perangin and it’s a HEMA summit but not a SOTA summit. It’s near neighbor, Bukit Lebai however is a SOTA summit.

Ron
VK3AFW

1 Like

The 5mins I spent looking suggest the prominence for Bukit Perangin is around 150m. That places it onto the questionable list as marginal measurement errors in its height and col could easily make valid or not.

Hi Andy,
OK. If you have a map that shows it qualifies or maybe qualifies then Mohammad and I would be interested to know which one it is. PM is OK. I have examined the saddle and the peak height on two maps and would not claim it qualified. Sad. However “maybe” isn’t going to impress Simon.

Ron
VK3AFW.

That’s terrible… HEMA is not open to all hams.

2 Likes

Andy I did not know that. Is there a blacklist?

Ron
VK3AFW

2 Likes

Alright. Thank you for the explaination. I got it.

I agree. It is not the highest.

I have reviewed again the summit. It is indeed that near neighbour summit which is Bukit Lebai is more higher.

Can we use below map. This is the best digital map, that I can find:

https://garmin.opentopomap.org/#malaysia_singapore_brunei

1 Like

Hi Muhammad,
Have you read the information I sent you? It should answer your question.

Height is not the factor that determines if a summit qualifies. It is Prominence.

Ron
VK3AFW

2 Likes

Just open the email. Many thanks. Its really helpful.

1 Like

Yes. Members of the MT.

2 Likes