76 down, 1 to go...

Thank you all!

Thursday 6th June 2019 - Y Garn GW/NW-037

Well that was a good celebration! This was our 77th and final GW/NW region summit to activate. It might seem somewhat premature to celebrate the completion of a region, but GW/NW is a tall order - and is bigger than many entire associations, including four that we have completed ourselves!

It was a very short drive from our B&B in Dolgellau, and we parked In a wide track opening quite a way down a long narrow winding dead end lane.

We walked initially along a track but soon branched right to follow a footpath up a slope. This one just went up and up, teasing me with false summits, one after the other. Some sections were quite a steep pull.

On the higher flanks there were gates to pass through tall dry stone walls. The final ascent was almost a scramble up a steep rocky ramp. The summit was marked by a distinctive cairn. There were wonderful views in all directions.

It had been great weather for the ascent, but an expected rain shower materialised as we arrived on summit. We set up quickly and got into our bothy bags to operate. We were in an out of them several times during the afternoon!

Jimmy made 25 QSOs - 10 on 2m FM and 15 on 40m FT8.

I made 36 QSOs - 5 on 2m FM, 13 on 40m FT8, 3 on 80m CW, 5 on 30m CW, 4 on 30m FT8 and 6 on 40m CW.

We both got S2S contacts on 2m FM, but the clear highlight was us both working Roger F5LKW/P on F/AM-327 on 40m FT8.

We marked the completion with a celebratory bottle of Snowdonia Ale each, which was delicious and refreshing.

It was glorious late afternoon sunshine for our descent, and Cadair Idris looked stunning. We will now celebrate with more beer and some supper in Dolgellau.

5 Likes

It’s always good to get some nice WX for these special summits.

All of GM/SS next?

1 Like

Given that GW/NW took me 16 years, the remaining 280 summits in GM/SS will take me at least 60 years from now. Hopefully I’ll still be activating SOTA when I’m 108 years old…

3 Likes

We had hoped for something a little bit more ambitious. But Jimmy was tired (yes, Jimmy M0HGY, not me), and the weather forecast was horrendous.

Friday 7th June 2019 - Great Orme GW/NW-070

The very wet weather was moving from south to north. It was due to hit southern Snowdonia around 10am BST, but not Llandudno until early afternoon. So the extended time window for activating, and the “quick escape” possibilities were the deal breakers.

I paid £3 for up to four hours parking on the car park just below the summit. The warden was working right beside the car park, so I verified permission with her.

It was actually unusually mild and calm for the summit of the Orme, even in summer. We were perfectly comfortable until the rain front finally arrived around 1.30pm. Before then, we were approached by an interested fellow - Pete MW1AWT - who stayed with us for around an hour chatting and observing our activity.

One of Jimmy’s 2m FM contacts was Karl MW3KMB who was with the NWRS, at the foot of the Orme and setting up for the weekend’s GB2ORM D-Day special event station. We went there after packing up to meet the team and were impressed by the organisation and planning involved, including the food and hot drink tent!

Jimmy made 20 QSOs - 14 on 2m FM and 6 on 30m FT8. I made 33 contacts - 6 on 2m FM, 14 on 30m CW and 13 on 30m FT8. Several S2S were made.

Richard G3CWI in Macclesfield couldn’t hear my 30m signal, so received me via a webSDR. I was able to receive him though, albeit weakly, and so a good QSO was made.

A satisfactory conclusion to a very good and successful week in Snowdonia. Thanks to all chasers.

3 Likes

Some figures:

Total QSOs: 168

MW1EYP/P: 97
MW0HGY/P: 71

80m: 3
40m: 34
30m: 42
20m: 20
2m: 69

CW: 39
FT8: 51