Very impressive!

1 Like

Love the trig point picture

karl

2 Likes

Breathtaking green-activations!
Hats off!!

1 Like

Nice work. You will be faster next time.

2 Likes

If itā€™s the Cloud at moonlight photo, I canā€™t take credit for that one. As explained, my phone ran out of charge shortly after Gun, so I used a couple of archive photos I had for the Cloud section of the report. That one, IIRC, was done by a serious photographer up there one night while I was doing a VHF activity contest. He was keen to get photos of my mast and antenna - he was rather drawn to their artistic potential! In return he promised to send me his photos once completed, and this was one of them - I think itā€™s stunning!

Souped up, maybe? :wink:

1 Like

No. A flask of soup is too heavy for a massive walk like this, plus it would be inefficient to then have to carry it for two days while it is essentially redundant.

IF I was tackling this one again (and I emphasise ā€œifā€), I would, from my experience, make the following adjustments:

• Avoid the navigational errors (hopefully Iā€™ll have already learned from the mistakes!)
  • Set off earlier. Maybe Three Shires Head or somewhere near Gradbach might be a nice place to camp.
  • Make sure that Iā€™ve always got a meal in the rucksack, taking care to ā€œtop upā€ at Gradbach and Rushton Spencer.
  • Investigate the roll-up solar panel chargers for smartphones - or at least take my own with me to plug in at any place Iā€™m stopping for a meal.
  • Take a lightweight HF antenna, mast and a Rockmite (or similar) rig.

All-in-all though, the expedition was ultimately successful - still canā€™t quite believe I had the audacity to attempt it, let alone actually complete it!

1 Like

Yes but wont that mean he can spend more time ā€œrefuellingā€ in the pubs? :beer:

I could suggest a multiband variant of this challenge. And the cw only, ssb only variants. The possibilities are endless.

But - well done. On several counts. Not just the km walked.

73 Andrew VK1DA/VK2UH

1 Like

Thanks Andrew. In fact, youā€™ve just reminded me. I knew there was something Iā€™d missed out of my list of things to improve for next time. And that was it - to take a very lightweight compact mast and simple aerial, and a little CW transceiver (Rockmite sort of thing). Iā€™ve edited that in to my report above.

That would have been nice on the evening camps, to be able to play radio and not worry about depleting the battery! I think everyone eventually gave up on Kjell LA1KHAā€™s PP3 challenge because no-one ever managed to deplete their first PP3!!!

Haha, that pp3 challenge all happened before i discovered SOTA i think. I read through a very long thread documenting the number of contacts etc. exhausting really.

For a bit more success while operating from the tent Iā€™d favour a more capable rig than a rockmite. The mtr series would be great for such a trip. I plan to take my mtr3b with me on a few such walks. I bought a qcx kit for 80m too.

73 Andrew VK1DA/VK2UH

1 Like

Hi Tom
Thanks for the report Tom sounds like you had a great time and great effort in succeeding, hope you managed to get all the noodles from the bottom of the rucksack.
Been trying to find the time myself for a multi summit camping trek but work has been hectic lately last trip I done was last year to G/LD-025 Seatallan and G/LD-006 Pillar. One thing I have done before is to have a dead drop were I stash a few items in a dry bag (food, beer/hip flask and water) somewhere along the route prior to starting and pick it up on way past. Even dropped a few items of once during a hike and collected them as I drove home, just remember to mark a way point on your gps.
May be time to make a start on building I that station for under 1kg.

Graeme
M0OAT

1 Like

Yeah I fancy a MTR for a future backpacking expedition. Feet still too sore to think about it right now though!

1 Like

Well done Tom.
I am searching for a loop of 3 summits after breakfast.
What is the minimum distance required for such an event in the 48 hour period.
regards Ian ā€¦

1 Like

I dont have time to read it all now, but I will. However, I just wanted to point out from the summary that I like your camping style and alignment of priorities. :smiley:

1 Like

Whatever you like Ian! Find your own route, set your own challenge. GL.

Map & Compass?
Two wrong turns is three too many

1 Like

Smartphone? Nahā€¦ Nokia 6310i with 2.5 weeks standby time is what you need.

1 Like

Nice photos of Ludā€™s Church. Itā€™s hard to believe, yet those green and dripping walls have attracted the attention of rock climbers - but one look and I decided I wanted sport, not suicide!

1 Like

I had map & compass Barry. I didnā€™t bring a Jimmy. I suspect that was where I went wrong.