70cm multimode activations

Tell me about it! :grinning:

Like, for instance, Yaesu? Truth is, they don’t need justifying, they work, they are robust and reliable (more so than BNC!), and they are easy to solder when your advanced years gift you with less than steady hands…and for me the best reason - using the front socket on the FT817/8 makes it a pain in the rectum to get at the home and clarifier buttons and a nuisance to get at the select knob. Of course, I do have an SO239 to BNC converter… :wink:

3 Likes

Brian, this has got to be just another FMF wind-up.

… given the difference in weight is in the noise level compared to the - ahem - other excess baggage.

What’s that famous line from a supermarket advert… oh yes “every little helps”.

So you save 10g per connector say. I take typically some feeder and patch leads. There are a total of 5 BNC plugs and 1 BNC socket. That’s 60gm or more than 1/2 a bar of chocolate. You’re trying tell me that changing the connectors so you can take an extra 1/2 bar of chocolate for no weight penalty is not worthwhile?

1 Like

You wouldn’t [and I wouldn’t] notice carrying the extra weight if you had PL259s AND took the chocolate bar. I’ve spent quite a few hours in the past weighing my kit and making choices to keep the rucksack weight down for the sake of my old knees.

But actually it would have been better to have avoided eating those nicely-chilled-in-the-fridge Twirl chocolate bars whilst reading this thread. Reducing my ‘personal’ excess baggage would help more than tradeoffs in my radio kit.

Don’t remind me of the days when I cut half the handle off a toothbrush and cut off three quarters of a bar of soap to reduce the weight of my backpack, not to mention the diabolical flavour and texture of those dehydrated single pan meals, ugh!

1 Like