5MHz (60 metres) and CEPT

SSB has been an occasional mode for me for the last 25 years. I regularly activate SOTA summits on 60m CW and am lucky to get 5 or 6 contacts.

So it was nice to use SSB on 60m yesterday from G/LD-041 and get a string of 11 SSB QSOs back-to-back including two S2S’s.

And all on 10W with an antenna not even designed for 60m (my 40/30/20 EFHW). Some of the chasers were on 5W.

Chaser feedback on my Tx audio (using a cheap Sony iPad type earphone/mic) said my audio was fine (using Wunder’s Tx EQ settings for my KX2). Compression (at setting 20) didn’t seem to make a difference.

Pity my 5m pole fell down twice, once in the middle of my first QSO so Andy (MS0TA/P) thought it must have been a sudden and deep QSB fade. That’s pegging guy ropes in thin soil over rocks for you.

So, even a CW hack like me sees the advantage (and fun) in activating 60m on both CW and SSB in future.

1 Like

Hi Andy

Good to work you s2s yesterday and glad you enjoyed 60m - my favourite band :slight_smile:

FWIW although very subjective and there was quite a bit of QSB about, I was listening as you adjusted compression and mic gain and the increases brought a definite improvement in readability. Well worth further playing.

73 de Paul (G6GGP at the time)

1 Like

Hi Paul,

Mine too along with 30m (but for different reasons). Thank you for the S2S.

Thanks for that very helpful feedback. Someone earlier said my signal was a bit under-modulated so I increased the mic gain hoping that would help. The compression makes my sidetone sound a bit echo’y but if it helps readability, I’ll leave it on.