Other SOTA sites: SOTAwatch | SOTA Home | Database | Summits | Video | Photos | Shop | Mapping | FAQs | Facebook | Contact SOTA

50 years ago today.

Absolutely Tom. I saw them around 2009 and they were really rather special live. Everybody knew what to do and they played off each other perfectly. It was a very, very good show, one of the best I’ve been to and I am not a Quo fan, I just like the odd song and seeing Quo live was a bucket list thing. They opened the show with a belting version of Caroline with Francis Rossi say “Right that’s that out of the way and if you’re all good we might play it again later.” Which ISTR they did.

It all sounds delightfully simple stuff till you see another band try to do it and then it turns out it’s not as simple as it seems.

1 Like

Tribute bands of all kinds abound, but I’ve never seen the point of them. The Quo is the Quo, perfect for what they did, and I think essentially it was party music. Back in the day I attended many parties where the music was the Quo and the Stones. Lets face it, you wouldn’t sit by the fire with a single malt and think deep philosophical thoughts while the Quo was playing on your hifi! So yes, Andy, it all sounds delightfully simple stuff, because that is what it was, simple and stripped down, played with precision and in the right time and place, delightful. Other bands played simple and stripped down music but they sounded like themselves, which is the way things ought to be.

1 Like

I’m starting to understand why you are subscribing to the urban myth about Status Quo and the three chords! :smiley:

Use your ears Brian - you’re a musician and you’ll quickly find a lot more chords including ones only normally associated with jazz. There’s even a celebrated Quo tune in the set list here on Spirit of Adventure. F#dim makes an appearance in that one!

1 Like

What I said was that it was an 8-bar blues format that only needed three chords, a truism because as you know, the bog-standard format is I/V/IV/IV/I/V/I/V. I added that in various performances they use 4, 5 and 6 chords. I’ve never swung an axe so I don’t normally consult websites like ultimate-guitar but I imagine it is mainly a resource for beginners. I don’t know if it is like that today, but it used to be that the chords on sheet music were for ukelele and conformed to the limitations of that instrument. All these plus a humorous remark by a band member (“In search of the fourth chord”) have contributed to the myth.

It might only need three chords - but then it wouldn’t sound anything like Quo, who typically have this F - F6 - F7 - F6 thing going up even before the root shifts up a fourth. Anyway, even if you discard that and insist on counting it all as a single F chord (which would sound rubbish), then the tune still goes on to exceed three chords.

Reminds me of two chord composers, like Elgar or McCartney/Lennon (Paperback Writer). But in the blues, I never used more than three during 64 years on the Hohner 265, or six on the D-28.

Question… If blues are supposed to be sad, why is none of it in a minor key?

EL

1 Like

That is another popular myth, I guess. There is nothing more mournful in music than major thirds moving in semitones at a moderate pace, run it fast and it becomes something else!

I take it that you don’t mean Sir Edward? :grinning:

And people ask me why I keep my Onkyo (c.1990) stack. Haven’t had it wired up for several years, but when there’s something I want to watch, the CD player is great and the quad sound is the only way to go.
Someday, I’ll dust it off!

1 Like