5 Megs Xmas Present!

In reply to G0RQL:

Good use of the majority of the bands is the responsibility of we hams, not the RSGB or any other national society. The bands are getting used in the way that we currently wish to use them, rather than in any individuals or pressure-groups idea of the way that we “ought” to be using them. It is nothing whatsoever to do with licensing then and now, it is just the way that we are, it may even be considered an impertinence to try and change things.

As I see it, the big difference in useage between now and, say, fifty years ago is that today ham radio is much more goal-orientated. Fifty years ago (when I was a keen SWL) we had DXCC, WAS, and WPX. Today we still have those plus a plethora of other sheepskins: SOTA, IOTA, WFF, we chase castles, churches, mills, lighthouses - you name it - instead of roaming the bands and ragchewing. Listen to the way the hue and cry starts when DX appears on the cluster or a spot comes up here. Where were all those people? Doing whatever took their fancy whilst waiting for the game to be afoot! There are plenty of people waiting for the signal to jump in, they don’t even have to keep the heaters hot and the rig pre-tuned - target appears>rig on>shout>succeed>rig off. That is the way many or even the majority operate today, its the way they want to do it, who are we to argue?

As for frequencies above 70 MHz being underused (Walt) - I was driven off my main band, 2 metres, by man-made noise, more than half the simplex channels were blotted out by carriers, even the SSB calling channel had an S9 carrier on it, so can I be blamed for migrating to where I could still do something despite the funny noises?

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

As for frequencies above 70 MHz being underused (Walt) - I was driven
off my main band, 2 metres, by man-made noise, more than half the
simplex channels were blotted out by carriers, even the SSB calling
channel had an S9 carrier on it, so can I be blamed for migrating to
where I could still do something despite the funny noises?

What is all this about “channels”? There has never been anything in my licence about channels. I have always used FREQUENCIES within the bands allocated to us.
There are no channels … least of all on SSB!

It was the UK FM Group (London) who introduced the concept of “channels”, 'way back in the early 70s. That was when the rot started to set in on VHF.

Walt (G3NYY)

In reply to G3NYY:

Calling the SSB calling channel a calling frequency will not remove an S9 carrier, Walt!

As for the concept of Channels on FM starting in the early 70’s, was that really so much worse than being rock-bound, calling CQ on your crystal-controlled frequency and tuning the whole band through the various geographical allocations for a reply? As I remember it, you are quite wrong, Walt, VHF reached its peak during the decade that FOLLOWED the mode split and FM channelisation. I have fond memories of a time when you just couldn’t find enough clear space to call CQ in, when a bit of a lift led to hubbub and a big opening sounded like 20 metres during a major contest! Alas, those days have gone, the magic gradually drained away as we found other ways to enjoy ourselves, the diaspora from 2 hastened by pollution from various technologies.

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

when a bit of a lift led to hubbub and a big opening sounded like 20
metres during a major contest! Alas, those days have gone, the magic
gradually drained away

Not for me it hasn’t, Brian. Two consecutive days in March on G/SP-004 this year produced 432 2m FM contacts. Radio don’t get much better than that.

73 Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to G8ADD:
" As I remember it, you are quite wrong, Walt, VHF reached its peak during the decade that FOLLOWED the mode split and FM channelisation."

Having never operated in the 80s when VHF was at its peak is very annoying to me!

I could not agree more with you guys on the lack of activity in the upper spectrum of the bands! Why are so many people drawn to HF bands? SSB on 2m is so much fun! Even when the band is flat you can work 60-100 miles very easily as well as using aircraft reflections etc! In addition when it is open the feeling you get when you work over 1000km is far superior IMHO to working ZL or VK on HF!

Mainly because it is so unpredictable!!!

In terms of AM, my father runs AM on 80m in the morning and having listened to the band at 0815 in the mornings, there is plenty of room for everyone to have fun!! The need for more spectrum is not needed IMHO. I am sorry to say, despite being QRV on FSK 441, PSK 31 and RTTY I would rather an AM QSO anyday!

Plus AM sounds fantastic when done well!!! Lovely Bass response, clear modulation etc!! The only thing that lets commercial broadcasts down is the crap receivers that are on the market now! Nothing quite comparable to listening to Test Match Special on 198KHz using an old girl from the 50s with a big 10 inch speaker in the system!!

AM should be used and celebrated, I would be keen for a 2m AM QSO from the next SOTA summit if anyone is keen?

Anyway with regards 60m we now have a 12.5 KHz section so who would be keen for some 60m FM???

73 all

Matt G8XYJ

In reply to G4OIG:

“Whether we keep using FE or choose a new frequency centrally within one of the larger segments is open to debate,”

On page 8 of Radcom, it seems a “net” has decided to occupy FE albeit only on a Sunday evening.

In reply to G3NYY:

(It’s only Class Bs who think it’s “Advanced”.)

And it’s only G3s who think there’s still such a thing as ‘Class A’ and ‘Class B’?

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:
Hi Tom,
I’m a G3 and I’ve never been accused of thinking.
Frank

In reply to G1INK:

On page 8 of Radcom, it seems a “net” has decided to occupy FE albeit
only on a Sunday evening.

For a very good reason, it’s available to amateurs in EI which the current frequency is not.

It’s one of the reasons that using FE for SOTA is a good idea, more people with access which means a better chance of contacts.

When I’m doing an HF activation I tend to start on FE, have a quick listen/call on adjacent channels if there is nothing about or when I’ve exhausted those on FE then move up to 40m.

Colin G8TMV

In reply to G8TMV:

I don’t think the sunset net will be much of a problem, most activators would be descending by then, anyway!

Brian G8ADD