40 metres, strange propagation

Has anyone else suffered the strange propagation on 40 metres that I have had for over a week now? Today EU sigs are all well below normal on both of my antennas, with a lot I can’t even hear, but I hear Roy SSH and Phil OBK giving good reports out. The skip must be good down the east coast of the UK, fill your boots lads. Roger G0TRB nearly blew my IC-7400 out of the shack while in QSO with INKy, so short skip is the order of the day I guess.

I guess you can’t win them all, so it’s a quiet Sunday for me. That’s the fascination of SOTA chasing, it would be pretty boring if the QSO’s were guaranteed.

Mike GW0DSP

In reply to GW0DSP:
Signal levels seem pretty normal to me, Mike, tho’ there seems to be stronger than usual signals from the continent on 80m today. Have you left the attenuator in? I do that sometimes!:frowning:

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

No attenuator in Brian and all EU sigs are low. I better check my antennas and coaxes etc, see if Steve AAV has pinned them:-)

Mike GW0DSP

In reply to GW0DSP:

I have had poor reception on 40m for the past week, but the problem has been the background noise holding at a steady S5.

All this changed today with the S meter needle resting on the Zero stop and the ability to hear all the EU activators.

Mind you, the use of 30m by activators would solve all our probloems.

73 Roy G4SSH

In reply to G4SSH:
Not for inter-UK, and only for CW - but it would be nice to have that band expanded and some phone permitted (dream on, Brian!!)

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G4SSH:

Thanks Roy. It’s really poor here, s5 noise on 40m and weak sigs from EU. I have only worked six stations today, Lutz AX being the strongest and he was GMA. I’ll always call any DL station GMA or SOTA.

I’ll do some antenna/feeder checks tomorrow but theres a good chance I’ll be out activating if the wx is ok.

Mike GW0DSP

In reply to GW0DSP:

Lutz did call CQ DMA but said that it was also SOTA, otherwise chasers are unable to know if it qualifies for both, or not, at the moment.

73 Roy

In reply to G4SSH:

I didn’t realise Lutz was SOTA also Roy, thanks. I would have in checked the d/base anyway. I just wrkd Walter, he was 599, it’s really weird today, hi.

Mike GW0DSP

In reply to GW0DSP:

Just an afterthought:

I would just love to have a noise level of S5 here, its usually 7 - 8 and often S9! I think I’ll go and live on a desert island and be DX…but then there would be no real ale:-(

Brian G8ADD

In reply to GW0DSP:

Chasers will have to hope that DL stations calling CQ DMA on a summit that also qualifies for SOTA, enter them in the SOTA database.

Tnx for the info re delated summit. I am happy to give points to any activator on a summit if it helps them to qualify

73 Roy

In reply to G4SSH:

Sorry Roy but in the Database…

DM/TH-849, Sankt Georgsberg - 481m, 4 points
This is no longer a valid summit from 31/12/2008

73 Mike

In reply to GW0DSP:

No longer valid for SOTA after (not from) 31/12/2008 Mike

73 Mike G4BLH

In reply to G4BLH:

I copied and pasted the info as is from the summit page Mike. Click on the summit ref in the spot for Lutz.

Mike GW0DSP

In reply to GW0DSP:

It does indeed. Just poor wording I suspect as on the specific summits page it clearly states
"Valid To: 31/Dec/2008"

In reply to G4BLH:

The bottom line is it is not valid for SOTA. I will claim the GMA points instead and it’s always a great pleasure to work Lutz and not forgetting the DM/TH Bergdiplom Award.

Mike GW0DSP

In reply to GW0DSP:
my 2 cents concerning conds on 40m. Sorry but i cannot agree about the remark using 30m would solve the problem… today while on HB/FR-028 my friend CGL was on 40 ( he has a 40 m monobander) I tried desesparetely for 15 minutes on 30 managing 2 QSOs only. when CGL handed the 40 m position to me I made 33 qsos in 25 minutes… (until cold fingers forced me to QRT) Beside that I like to work some HBs, which is nearly impossible on 30m !

73 cu
kurt HE8AFI

Hi Kurt

I called both you and HB9CGL, but I wasn’t making the trip. You were only 339 today but usually you are one of the strongest on the summits. Poor condx or I need to check out my antennas.

I hope you both had a good day out, it sounds like you did.

vy 73 & HNY

Mike GW0DSP

In reply to HB9AFI:

Hi Kurt,

I was not suggesting that activators should use 30m only, which would be inaudible to chasers close by. Rather that 30m be used in addition, after 40m as a much quieter and less crowded band, which is often better in the UK when conditions on 40 are poor and activators are limited to QRP.

I agree that, unusually, conditions on 30m were not good today

Many thanks for FR-031 today, it is always a pleasure to work you.

73 Roy G4SSH

In reply to GW0DSP:
Hi Mike.
I have suffered from the poor condx on 40 (and 30) myself during the last days. I worked most of the spotted stations yesterday, but had to struggle with both hearing them and getting through (used 600 watts at times - that was never necessary before). Same thing today with F5UKL, not even a ping on 40 and 30, and all chasers weak (strongest an ON with 559). Andre came out of the QSB on 20 and faded away after the qso.
I don’t think there is anything wrong with your antenne - received you with strong sigs several times recently.
Mike

In reply to GW0DSP:

I thought conditions on 40m ysterday were very good. As well as the Continental stations I also logged quite a few UK stations all at good strengths. Not sure what the critical frequency reached, but it was down to 4.9 MHz when I got home. From my 100 contacts, 54 were on 40m.