30m - what can it do?

Hi Ian, yes I use that with some ops, others I use Discord, which seems pretty easy and helpful to use.
But beyond just one becomes unmanageable. The lasts thing I want when I’m up to my armpits in guy wires and antenna feedlines is a phone to answer, where someone says “are you on the air yet?” To which the obvious answer may offend…
:slight_smile:
73 Andrew VK1DA/VK2UH

Indeed.

My attempt to convey this information is the post 24 up the thread. Bit of a long shot, but my ancient old phone was about to run out of charge! BTW I soon QSYd away from 10.115MHz when I noticed you were spotted on the same QRG. I couldn’t hear you at that point, but figured I was never going to if I was working chasers on the same QRG!

Tom

Have you thought of putting a link in the 1/4 wave vertical??

If you measured 5.3m of wire, that would be (300/14.100Mhz) / 4 = 5.3m (a 1/4 wave on 14.100mhz) then simply add links of 2.1m, on the radiating element and the ground plane guys, that would get you up to (300/10.140Mhz) / 4 = 7.4m (a 1/4 wave on 10.140MHz)

Are the groundplane wires acting as guys?? Hence the 10m fishing pole???

Just a thought, that would you offer a dual band antenna for the same wire. Just make some strain relief links out of chopping board and get some bullet connectors or spade tags and you have the antenna made! I bet Mr SotaBeams has some old plastic kicking about the workshop?

Matt XYJ

1 Like

Hi Matt,

If I was going to multiband one of my groundplane verticals, I would be more likely to do so via the trap approach.

Yes, I’m a big fan of the elevated groundplane thing - had some stunning results with it over the years on 6-10-12-15-17-20. I just wanted to try such an antenna out on 30m, which I think is optimum for Far East / Oceania DX (including S2S) opportunities at the present time.

I don’t really need to go multiband - I’ve usually got a specific band in mind when I go out, and if doing a longer activation, I fill my time by cycling through the modes as opposed to bands. I do SSB, PSK, JT65, FT8 and CW, so plenty to keep me entertained!

Having said that, I’m going to be using my little HB1B CW transceiver again soon, and will use a SOTABEAMS Bandhopper 4 (80-40-30-20 linked dipole) with that.

1 Like

Ah yes, I did see that when I got home. I didn’t want to stay another hour as I had promised to be home by sundown, which was around 0900. I have the impression that the half hour after I decided to close down might have been the best half hour of conditions. But if I had delayed longer I would not have met my deadline.

We will have to try again.

73 Andrew VK1DA/VK2UH

1 Like

Thursday 21st February 2019 - Gun G/SP-013 & Shining Tor G/SP-004

There was little chance of answering the question “30m - what can it do?” - not when I’d left the 10m Travelmast at home! I’d been a sensible chap for once, taking my pole in from the car after a damp activation, wiping it down with towels and storing it with the end caps off. Unfortunately, this change in MO caused me to forget that the mast wasn’t it in the car as I left the house!

No problem I thought, instead I’ll check out the Youkits HB1B CW transceiver. Richard G3CWI had kindly repaired this for me a few days earlier. I was very pleased as the rig had been out of action for a long time, and it is a favourite of mine that I really enjoy operating with. Anyway, that plan was soon as dead as the 30m plan, once I realised I hadn’t thought to bring any earbuds out with me (the HB1B doesn’t have a speaker).

So there I was at the parking spot for Gun, in my car, with unexpected heavy rain lashing down. Both my radio agenda items were not possible - see above - and I even thought about going home activationless. I then started to think about nipping up to the summit with the HT and just putting up with the weather for half-an-hour or so.

Then the rain stopped and the skies began to clear. I decided to do an activation on good old 20m using another of my groundplane antennas. The going was fairly slow, but a variety of modes allowed a respectable number of contacts to enter the SOTA log.

20m SSB: 3 QSOs
20m CW: 5 QSOs
20m FT8: 6 QSOs
2m FM: 4 QSOs

A change of plan at home and a glorious sunny afternoon gave me the opportunity, and idea to have another crack at testing out my 30m GP and HB1B. I invited Richard G3CWI out on the trip, more for his antenna analyser than his company between you-and-me, but don’t tell him that. Main thing is that I did remember to take the Travelmast and earbuds out of the house this time.

The walk up Shining Tor was very pleasant in the sunshine, but there was a fair bit of breeze which concerned me with regard to deploying a 10m mast. We checked some mapping to determine the extent of the AZ on the lee (north) side of the hill, and continued downslope after the summit to get a little more shelter. We found a good flattish grassy spot to the right of the path, and where we determined the wind would not be too disruptive to the large vertical antenna.

The aerial went up and was found to be resonant on 9.6MHz. I cut off some of the vertical element, and the CF moved up to 9.880MHz. Repeat a couple of times, and I got it to 10.110MHz - perfect! I verified that the SWR indication on the FT-817 was good right across the band, and started activating.

9 QSOs were made on 30m CW, and everything seemed to be working nicely. I then swapped the FT-817 for the HB1B, and thoroughly enjoyed using that rig for the first time in nearly two years. It’s such a pleasant rig to use, and 5 more 30m CW QSOs were made.

Walking back over the summit on the way back to the car, I put out a few calls on 2m FM with the handheld, resulting in three further QSOs.

The return journey was punctuated with a refreshment stop at the Stanley Arms, Bottom o’th’ Oven. Jennings Cumberland - always a favourite for a sunny SOTA day.

2 Likes

…and so I’m now ready to have another crack at early morning greyline DXing with the 30m GP - which is the main reason I built it.

Tomorrow (Friday) morning, I should be QRV from around 0700 to 1100z, on The Cloud G/SP-015. 30m CW and FT8.

2 Likes

Almost mission accomplished. 2 VKs, including a S2S, plus a ZL worked on 30m CW in the activation currently in progress.

No DX on FT8 yet, but trying for that now.

4 Likes

Tom, Was chasing you this morning FT8 & watched your S2S with F5LKW/P F/AM-337 on 30m. Saw JA, VK, ZL, HK plenty of DX out there on both 30m & 40m.

73’ Don GW0PLP

1 Like

I got Andrew too, wonder who the other VK was, in VK6 could hear some chasers LP chasing Andrew very weak, so suspect that may have been a LP Contact. Had a look SP but was pretty quiet. Was not around for long but was surprised to see 30 open.

John VK6NU

2 Likes

Hi John,

The other VK I worked was VK4TJ. No prizes for guessing who the ZL was!

Nice activation lapping up the sunshine under the cliffs on the north-eastern ledge of The Cloud. Very happy with the new antenna and the design modifications I made after the first couple of outings. These were:

• Used extra strong military green wire
  • Used a custom made centre plate
  • Guyed to the centre plate, not just to the ends of the radials
  • Used brand new guying cord for this
  • Used guying rings and insulators of decreasing size up the mast to keep the radiating element in better control
  • One extra radial - now 4, instead of 3

It was because of the wind that I went down to the sheltered ledge at the edge of the escarpment. The only issue here was space for the radials - this is a large antenna. I managed to deploy the antenna, but two of the radials were angled upwards from the feedpoint (ie pegging point on higher ground), not down as is customary, and three of the radials were all directed within a 90 degree angle! So far from the optimal groundplane, but it still did it’s job, and importantly, there was no windload on the mast.

The main objectives of working DX on 30m was met, with the bonus of working a DX S2S on 30m, and a S2S on FT8. Some DX on FT8 would have been the icing on the cake, but the phrase “water, water, everywhere, but not a drop to drink” springs to mind…

30m CW: 23 QSOs - DXCCs: DL, EA, F, G, HB, I, LA, OH, RA, SM, SP, VK, ZL
30m FT8: 29 QSOs - DXCCs: 9A, DL, EA, ES, F, G, HB, I, LY, OE, OH, OK, SM, SP
2m FM: 10 QSOs - DXCCs: G, GW

Total: 62 QSOs

2 S2S:
VK1DA on VK2/ST-053 - 30m CW
F5LKW/P on F/AM-337 - 30m FT8
G7OEM/P on G/SP-014 - 2m FM

An interesting thing to note as I was about to walk off the summit, there is a new marker post up there on one of the paths, designating it as a “shared trail” for walkers and mountain bikers. Cycling until recently was entirely prohibited on The Cloud, though a great many ignored that restriction.

Other than that regrettable development, a very pleasing activation. I’m feeling gruntled.

1 Like

Once again, I was a lurker on FT-8, but never heard the slightest peep from you. No chasers, either, but I guess I know why, if you rung up zero QSO’s. Glad CW saved the day…73 John VK4TJ.

1 Like

?

29 > 0

Sorry, misread it. I’m a newbie on FT-8. The band was VERY busy (and yes, lots of G’s), but stuff was scrolling off my screen pretty quickly. Had exactly the same experience with VK announced activations on 20 mtrs - I can see lots of stations, but never seem to see the SOTA activators. I’ll be back on 30 mtr FT-8 around 0700Z to see if the band continues to be in top form.

1 Like

@M1EYP/Tom, oh I wish I had seen this last week. I love 30m when I am in the states, when 20/40 are getting hammered with contest weekends, 30cw is a great fallback, I can hit most of the same chasers I would normally hit on 20/40 too. That said I was in VK last week when you were testing this and that would have been a great contact to make. I even did a couple of later in the day activations hoping to get some VK/EU S2S/QSO. maybe next time!

I thought folks interested in this post might be interested in this event:

30 Meter Multi Mode Weekend
When: March 16th and 17th 2019
Where: 10 MHz - 30 Meter Band (10.100 – 10.150)
Objective: To promote experimenting and using different digital modes on the unique 30 Meter Band

Please join in if you have time this weekend. Those of you who want to participate using the more common modes of CW, FT8, BPSK31, RTTY, we welcome that, but those wanting to try other less used modes please do so and turn your RSID/TXID on to help others know what mode you are transmitting (common modes i.e. BPSK31/RTTY no need for RSID, do use RSID on the less common/exotic modes i.e. QBSK/HELL/MSK/DOMINOEX/THOR/THROB/CONTESTIA/OLIVIA/etc.).

A number of digital mode groups will be participating this weekend so if you have wanted to try out a new digital mode or make some contacts using less common digital modes this weekend might be of interest to you. There are a number of multi-mode digital software programs so this is also a chance to get on the 30 Meter Band to try them out. Most of them have RSID/TXID (Reed Solomon Identifier- automatic mode detection and tuning which will help or aid for the less commonly used digital modes so turn on the RSID/TXID).

This event is NOT a contest…no set times…no rules…no exchanges…no logs to send in or to anyone…no winners other than those that participate with casual use of the 30 Meter Band knowing that others with like interests will be on this weekend to experiment, ragchew, DX and have some fun trying different digital modes!

Where on the 30 Meter Band to find different digital mode activity:
(Note: these are suggested only and observations of known digital mode activity…all dial frequencies are USB for digital modes…below " **** " indicates for the more active or used frequencies/modes)

[10.100 - 10.130](tel:10.100 - 10.130) CW ****

10.130 - FT8Call
10.132 - SSTV-Narrow (MP73-N) Region 2

[10.132 - 10.134](tel:10.132 - 10.134) ROS Region 1 (Region 2 - note not legal in USA)

10.135 - OPERA

10.136 - FT8 (WSJT) ****

10.138 - JT65 JT9 (WSJT)
10.1386 - MEPT/WSPR
[10.138 - 10.140](tel:10.138 - 10.140) - JT65 (WSJT)
10.1405 - PROPNET & PropNet Robots (BPSK31)
[10.140 - 10.141](tel:10.140 - 10.141) BPSK31 QRP
[10.140 - 10.142](tel:10.140 - 10.142) BPSK31 - DX Region 1,2,3 (or BPSK/QPSK,31,63,125,etc.) ****

10.142 - 10.144 RTTY
[10.142 - 10.145](tel:10.142 - 10.145) RTTY,MFSK,THOR,THROB,DOMINO,OLIVIA,CONTESTIA, SIM31,etc. - note:Turn on TXID/RXID
10.144 - FeldHELL (10.137 - 10.144)
10.144 - SSTV-Narrow (MP73-N) Region 1
[10.142 - 10.144](tel:10.142 - 10.144) - ALE-400hz
[10.145 - 10.148](tel:10.145 - 10.148) - ALE-2khz
10.147 – 10.148 PSKMail/APRS
[10.1491 - 10.1495](tel:10.1491 - 10.1495) APRS

For a more detailed 30 Meter Band Utilization Chart our digital friend Ian G3NRW has helped us on that so please go here: 30m BAND UTILIZATION CHART -- G3NRW

Operating hints for the weekend:

• Do use RSID (RXID/TXID) for the less common/exotic modes (i.e. Contestia,Olivia,Domino,etc)

• Do CQ with RSID for more than just a few of CQ’s, don’t expect to have someone to reply on a less common used mode the first few CQ’s…give it a while for others to find you and the mode being used

• Do use good operating habits – clean signal, lowest wattage to complete the QSO, QRL in common mode first, if band is busy or crowded spread out or use narrower width modes (i.e. if band is busy don’t use OLIVIA 8/500 in the middle of the 30 Meter PSK 10.141 portion of the Band-not good operating habit if the band is busy and you will not make many friends)

• Do not let not having a dedicated 30 meter antenna stop you from joining in…load up what antenna you do have and give it a go on 30 meters.

• Do have fun and compare modes, wattage, antennas, etc with other operators that are interested to do the same…most the 30 Meter Digital Operators are not Call,599,73 most want a QSO (even DX) but also keep in mind that for poor band conditions or weak signal work WSJT modes of FT8 (JT65/9) is hard to beat!

• Do use http://www.HamSpots.net for spotting, announcements of mode, etc.

****Please note we are secondary users of the 30 Meter Band and to use good operating procedures
http://www.30mdg.org/tips.html

Have fun and hope to see you on the waterfall!

Friday 1st March 2019 - The Cloud G/SP-015

I was on my way home from a day’s supply teaching in Newcastle-under-Lyme, and wondered about getting stateside on my newly built 30m GP vertical antenna. So I repeated my regular old trick of the past when teaching in the Potteries, and visited The Cloud G/SP-015 on the way home.

There was only a light breeze, so I was able to set up this enormous antenna right on the highest point. There was no issue with windload, but the radials had to be carefully placed not to block any paths.

I operated on FT8 on 30m, but I don’t think conditions were particularly favourable. DXCCs worked were EA, G, HA, OH, RA and several URs.

I also put out a few calls on 2m FM with the handheld. A total of 17 QSOs were made in the activation, 10 on 30m FT8, and 7 on 2m FM. Many thanks to all chasers.

Day off shift here today and saw you spot on FT8 looked for you but no luck. I wonder if your Vertical is resonant on 18 or 24mhz??? My home built doublet here is with less than 1.5 swr and the swr below 2.0 on 10mhz.

Don GW0PLP

Saturday 2nd March 2019 - The Cloud G/SP-015

It was too windy for 17 candles for SOTA’s 17th birthday, so an activation comprising 17 QSOs it had to be (well not really, that was just a coincidence I noticed after getting home…)

I had a couple of hours free between taxiing Liam to Congleton and back where he was meeting a mate for the afternoon. Obviously that would be spent on Cloud summit, doing FT8 on 30m - mainly.

On the ascent, it was noted that the pathworks had progressed higher up towards the summit after a dormant few weeks. The reworked path, with tree-trunk borders, now extends just into the activation zone.

I set up beyond the summit rocks, just above the north ledge. It was a little breezy, but not so windy as to feel the need to actually drop down to the ledge to set up. As it was, there was a “courting couple” down there who looked like they would prefer not to be disturbed.

The only problem with erecting the huge 30m GP antenna where I did was that loads of walkers passed within a few metres of it, and without exception asked me to explain what I was doing. Of course, I was happy to oblige, even if it did hammer my QSO rate!

Not that there was any potential of a mega haul in the log anyway. There were no signs of any proper DX, and the band was closed to North America. The first 25 minutes of operating saw me scrape to the nominal four QSOs in what was looking like a total yawnfest. It reminded me of those initial activations 17 years ago in 2002, using a 230mW Standard C108 handheld and taking half-an-hour to complete four good contacts!

In protest at the embarrassment that is FT8, and its pathetic QSO haul, I switched to the entirely superior CW mode - and made three QSOs in the next twenty minutes… Maybe the 30m band wasn’t playing today?

I started, out of sheer boredom, putting out occasional calls on 2m FM, but that was pretty quiet too. 30m FT8 then picked up at least, and the QSO rate actually increased to the dizzy heights of one every three minutes!

Eventually the call came from Liam to say he was ready to be picked up. I told him I’d be at least half-an-hour, and to go in somewhere to sit down and have a hot chocolate while he waited.

Total QSOs: 17 (as if by design for SOTA’s 17th birthday)

30m FT8: 12
30m CW: 3
2m FM: 2

@GW0PLP - I would have thought that you are in the skip zone on this band, so no chance of us hearing each other?

Not heard (or seen) you today Tom on 10136 FT8. No surprise there, the skip distance would be wrong 90% of the time and I am in your dead zone, but I could see plenty of stations working you. Conversely Roger F5LKW/P was on later than you using FT8 also, further away so we had skip and I followed through after Don G0RQL giving Roger -15 and getting -05 back.

73 Phil