2M SOTA events

Hello all,

Over 10 years ago (has it really been that long!) I organised a G/NP event. It was 4th January 2009 and people were out on the hills in far from ideal weather. I activated G/NP-004 Whernside and these were my S2S contacts…

Geoff G6MZX/P on G/NP-032 Cracoe Fell
Rick M0RCP/P on G/NP-006 Great Shunner Fell
Ron GW4EVX/P on GW/NW-051 Foel Fenlli
Gerald G4OIG/P on G/NP-015 Great Knoutberry Hill
Steve 2E0KPO/P on G/NP-017 Fountains Fell
Steve G1INK/P on G/NP-008 Great Whernside
Lee M0LMP/P on G/NP-010 Pen-y-Ghent
Jimmy M3EYP/P on G/NP-007 Wild Boar Fell
Steve G3WGU/P on G/LD-028 Harter Fell
Mike G0DSP/P on G/NP-028 Rombalds Moor
Jordan M3TMX/P on G/NP-011 Great Coum
Tim 2E0KEA/P on G/NP-029 Sharp Haw
Dave G7SKR/P on G/SP-010 Winter Hill
Scott 2E0RCS/P on G/NP-005 Ingleborough

People are aware of the more recent excellent event in G/LD that Mark M0NOM arranged. I also believe there have been several other events that have taken place in the past.

There are several regions that are ideal for future events and I think it would be good if different regions could be considered for future events if there is sufficient interest. Maybe a G/SP event, G/NP event, G/NW event etc… SOTA does a marvellous job of raising 2M activity outside of the contests and sharing it around so to speak would benefit the area it took place in and mean that not as many people miss out and they get to share in the fun.

Now some may be thinking ‘go on then Chris organise something’ but I’m set to change job sometime soon and I’m unsure of my days off so I cant really commit to anything. There are a couple of Bank Holiday weekends in August and I’m available for the one at the end of that month if there is any interest in organising something.

Any thoughts?

73 Chris M0RSF

1 Like

Hmm… I definitely have Cross Fell on my list :wink:
It sounds very much like you are not-not volunteering to me Chris :smiley:

Mark. M0NOM

Gaulfest (Church Stretton, so GW/MW, GW/NW & G/WB all feasible) will probably happen again between Christmas and New Year.

Ah yes, I recall that event Chris; great fun. I’m pretty sure that someone took a nice video of Mike up on Rombalds Moor to commemorate it. Anyone got a link?

1 Like

I think Steve M0SGB did that video but not sure if it is still online. Interestingly, I noticed that an activator has made it onto the Trigpointing UK website from this summit!

I believe this is Matthew M0FEU / @OE6FEG

Yep, that’s me.

1 Like

Hi Chris

Yorkshire Flag:

One suggestion I was thinking off was August 1st - which as a Yorkshireman yourself, you will know is Yorkshire Day. However, this year it falls on a Thursday. In 2020 it falls on a Saturday, so a SOTA Yorkshire Day would likely get more interest next year. I’ve studied the OS Maps and arrived at a figure of 23 Yorkshire summits. Nine Standards Rigg I am counting as North Yorkshire falls within the Activation Zone, but the top is in County Durham. Operation would have to be from the Yorkshire side of the summit.

Like I said, 2020 may be a better time to do this one. See list.

73 Phil

PS Yes I also remember the G/NP event you organised in 2009. The XYL Judy and I sat in the sinkhole on Hoove and operated from there on 2m FM. A very memorable event!

2 Likes

Great idea Phil. No need to decide between 2019 and 2020 - go ahead and do both. The first can be a test event for the second - plus a Thursday and a Saturday widens total potential participation. Not everyone works a conventional Monday to Friday 9 to 5 pattern. If all SOTA events were at weekends, I’d probably never get to do one these days.

Yes Please! I still have a lot of NP hills left as well as SB SP etc…so it would give me a good excuse to be out. Might struggle with the Thursday…
Paul