2m Multimode Saturdays - or Sundays!

Presumably if they’re working that way they’ll come back to .500 as opposed to staying on .400 or whatever channel they ended up on? I’d probably expect that

Edit: it appears I don’t know how to quote a post. Not to worry

Highlight the text, a button marked Quote will appear above the highlighted text, click that and off you go. Isn’t this covered in the Discobot training course?

Phil, it was a very good tent, a Hilleberg Nallo 2 GT, but I bought it for cycle touring and was too big for foot slogging on my own. What I think I’ll buy first is one of these bothy thingies which are a new idea for me. Which shows how out of date I am with modern equipment. But I’m also tempted to go back into camping. :slight_smile: When I visited High Willhays on Dartmoor recently there was a small tent just below a nearby summit and I felt very envious as it was a perfect morning - blue skies and no wind. What a morning to wake up on a hill. :slight_smile:

But thanks for the suggestion, I’ll have a look at those Breeze models. I can’t afford another Hilleberg. :slight_smile:

John

I did see that afterwards and assumed it would fail on my phone but I’m honestly impressed with how good this forum software is.

Or I slept through that lesson, who knows?

1 Like

Heading out shortly for today’s 2m Multimode Saturday. I expect to be QRV around 0930z / 10.30am.

Will have 2m FM, AM, SSB, FT8, CW, SSTV and C4FM. Possibly RTTY, PSK and JS8 if anyone is interested too!

Today’s multimode Saturday is going really well. Tried SSTV, MSK144 and FT8 so far with zero QSOs and no other participating stations spotted!

At least it can’t get any worse (as it usually does) when I go over to 2m CW…

Not much better from LD-008 today Tom. Fm saved the day for me. Nothing on data, not much on ssb either, and I could hardly hear the stations I worked for the wind blast. At least we completed our S2s. Heading home for heat.
Tim

Wouldn’t conditions be better later in the day rather than the morning? Having recently discovered the www.propquest.co.uk website I’ve learned the chances of contacts using ES increase in the late afternoon. Of course this won’t help with local contacts but it might with longer distance FT8. I had a play with a 20m Hamstick yesterday afternoon on the roof of my campervan and used it at 6m using an ATU. Far from ideal but it worked and I had a few FT8 QSOs with 10W including one from Austria.

Have been monitoring 144.050MHz, but nothing heard there or indeed anything from you this morning on any mode. I couldn’t hear Andy G8CPZ on Arnside Knott either. Then again, there does seem to be a Faraday cage positioned over Middle England recently… or is my yagi in the roofspace not cutting it any more? :grinning:

The Cloud G/SP-015

2m Multimode Saturday - 15th May 2021

Rather damp and miserable meaning that I was inside the bothy bag for most of the summit time. Most of the 2m Multimode disciplines were similarly a damp squib. Nonetheless it was overall an enjoyable activation.

2m FT8 - 2 QSOs
2m SSB - 4 QSOs
2m SSTV - 1 QSO
2m FM - 16 QSOs
2m CW - 3 QSOs
2m C4FM - 3 QSOs

S2S:

G4YTD/P on G/LD-008 - 2m SSB
G8CPZ/P on G/LD-058 - 2m CW

Gun G/SP-013

No sign of the cattle that were supposed to be grazing on Gun as from today.

2m FM: 1 QSO

1 Like

I didn’t think I would make the 2m multimode session this morning as my knee’s been playing up recently and needed to rest it. But I knew a gentle stroll up my local summit should be alright (and it was).

It was good to field-test my 2m CW portable setup. A repurposed microphone-stand bag with over-the-shoulder strap [housing my reduced-length SOTAbeams pole, 3-element 2m Yagi, coax feeder, etc] worked well and allowed me to use my smallest [12L] rucksack for the FT817 and other stuff.

Arnside Knott (G/LD-058) is not only the smallest SOTA summit in the UK but is covered in trees. There’s pretty much only one spot with a fairly-decent VHF take-off to the south and east. And, as I discovered [on so many G/LD summits] the soil is so thin over ancient rock that guying pegs won’t go in far nor stay in for long with this morning’s wind. The wind also had other ideas about the beam’s optimum direction. Fortunately, the rain reduced to a drizzle and stopped.

I was very pleased to work Phil G4OBK and Tom M1EYP/P [S2S] with my 5W of CW which confirmed my Yagi despite slightly bent directors [caused by a previous pole-falling-in-high-wind incident] is doing the business. I’ll find a better VHF summit for the 2m CW Day and hope to bag a few more contacts.

Thanks for trying Gerald. Next time I’ll be on a better summit.

2 Likes

Arnside Knott G/LD-058 is not the smallest SOTA summit in the UK, it is the smallest SOTA summit in England. There’s quite a few SOTA summits in Scotland that have a lower height than Arnside Knott G/LD-058 and all the SOTA summits in Jersey and Guernsey are all lower than Arnside Knott G/LD-058 also.

Jimmy M0HGY

1 Like

Thanks for the correction Jimmy. I did mean England.

BTW: Jersey and Guernsey are not part of the UK but are self-governing dependencies of the Crown

Jersey and Guernsey are not in the UK.

Yes I know this, but as far as amateur radio and SOTA is concerned, Jersey, Guernsey and the Isle of Man are part of the UK.

Jimmy M0HGY

Those crown dependencies do cede some of their administration to the UK government but that still doesn’t make them part of the UK.

I see what he means, though. If they use Gx, Mx or 2x they are part of the bundle, identity politics notwithstanding.

2 Likes

I’m bumping this because I’d like to try an SSTV activation tomorrow and I’d love to have some folk on standby. I’ve not had much response when I’ve tried before and I wish I’d remembered to post sooner. I expect I’ll try the Scotland Amateur FB group too.

It’ll be GM/SS-282 around 10:30 UTC & I’ve got coverage for 100 miles or so outside Edinburgh (especially juicy S2Ses).

Anyone else planning to carry on trying this on Saturdays?

I’m going out multimoding this morning but on 10/12m. Later tonight and tomorrow morning I’ll be multimoding on 6m. I’ll return to some 2m Multimode Saturdaying once all the Sp.E stuff dies down.

1 Like

Keep an eye on 2m if the Es gets intense, Tom. When Es gets to 2m the result is a spectacular opening to the Mediterranean!

1 Like