2m Filters + random nonsense

Tks respons Richard it’s clear 73

1 Like

… Which means the average amateur will push it to at least 10 :wink:

de Paul G4MD (who has been known to put 1200V on the neck of an 807…)

If they don’t flash over or glow cherry red then you’re not pushing them hard enough.

Richard’s filters?

Them as well! I can remember hearing about someone’s QQV7-50 being run so hard on 2m that the solder melted that held the output loop on the anode connectors. The builder of the PA was in full flow when he went involuntarily QRT with a bang and flash.

1 Like

:slight_smile: the dx was better then too, with just a 6J6 in the final. And you tell the young blokes today about that, they won’t believe yer.

Oh, we used to dreeeam of havin’ an 807! Would ha’ been power to us. We would ‘ve t’ use a 5763 and wi’ our rubbish homebrew AM designs would get one watt up the spout - if we were looky!

1 Like

1W? Luxury!

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

I still have my 55 year old 5763, a couple of QQV02-6’s, a QQV03-20A and a couple of QQV06-40A’s in my junk somewhere, I couldn’t bring myself to dump them - happy daze!

1 Like

A school friend had to remind me of the valve part numbers in our first homebrew rigs. All I could remember is they were small glass tubes with metal bits inside that glowed and were hot to the touch.

Ah, the newfangled all glass miniature stuff… prefer a 6AG7 myself :slight_smile:

Here is the last valve (tube) I used professionally (10kW)
4cx10000

For an AM transmitter? With the cost per AM broadcast listener going sky high I wouldn’t be surprised if amateurs get some MW band allocation in the coming years. And you may need that 10kW valve to overcome the daytime D-layer absorption.

That would be fun. i imagine John G4YSS loading coils for his dipole may become large even if wound with 40SWG Litz wire :wink:

Anyway I just I’d say 2m in line filter to bring this back on topic, not that I ever instigate thread drift. Not not me.

1 Like

Thread drift is impossible since Richard G3CWI kindly edited the topic title a couple of days ago.

Not so… I’m sure my posts though random are eminently sensible :wink:

Well we (or at least some of us) have got 472 - 479 KHz already… though I suspect someone using AM would be frowned on rather severely :roll_eyes:

Well, let’s drift back to the main topic - having read this thread I would conclude there is no real consensus about which UK SOTA summits are most prone to 2m HT overload from comms masts. Even Richard’s poll is not statistically significant.

As someone who has never suffered the problem but is curious, I would be willing to drive an hour or two from my QTH near Kendal to activate an ‘infected’ summit with my FT1DE and FT270. G/SP-010 Winter Hill is within range but too few of you seem to think that it’s a problem summit.

More progress

5 Likes

Is that the price?

2 Likes