In reply to M0VCM:

Hi Mike,

At the moment there are only five G/SB activations
recorded in the database for 2012, so not many S2S
opportunities. I was on G/SB-004 on 21st July 2012
and managed a S2S with David M0YDH on G/LD-021 and
Glenn G6HFF on G/NP-017. You were on G/SP-004 that
day but I couldn’t hear you even with the 3el beam
pointing in your direction. Maybe G/NPs in the way?
That would have been nice to add to the collection!

In reply to M0VCM:

Hi John,

Yup, at fraction over a 300Km hop and the North Pennines in the way, it’s never going to be easy on FM with my vertical unless there’s a lift. Shame I didn’t have a beam with me.

BTW, thanks for the S2S from G/WB-003 onto G/NP-010 Pen-y-ghent, last week.

73 Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:

You’d do much better for DX working with horizontal polarisation than vertical. Studies have shown so. Of course that would have to be replicated at the other end. But HP to HP is better than VP to VP.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

23 Nov 2008 - Ros Hill G/SB-009. G8OTI/P to G0RQL (North Devon). 4W, SSB, 5-ele DK7ZB (horizontal pol) at my end. Somewhat more at Don’s end, but hey, 539km with no special propagation on, no probs, NP hills in the way or not.

John GM8OTI

In reply to GM8OTI:
SSB says it all John! However Horizontal FM works well, I cant work my friend vertically on beams, but if we switch to horizontal it works a treat!!!

This is why I stick to SSB as it gives the chasers the best chance!!!

Matt G8XYJ

In reply to 2E0YYY:

BTW, thanks for the S2S from G/WB-003
onto G/NP-010 Pen-y-ghent, last week.

My pleasure Mike - and thank you too! I enjoyed
your activation report earlier in the thread and
was intrigued to read you attracted an audience.
I had four extended conversations with walkers on
G/WB-003 and GW/MW-013 who were all interested in
what I was doing and very supportive. Nice crowd.

73, John M0VCM

In reply to G8XYJ:

Yes beam to beam and SSB is obviously better but I was actually suggesting that horizontal omni to horizontal omni will, on average, give better performance than vertical omni to vertical omni with the same gains.

ISTR that this was discovered when the UHF TV upgrades were being planned in the late 50s early 60s. That’s why main TV transmitters use horizontal polarisation, it results in stronger signals at the edge of the intended coverage zone which can be geographically quite large.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:
Indeed Andy!

Halo loops would be the way to go for pure omnidirectional horizontal. However I suppose a dipole is the easiest way to achieve this, of course dipole does have the nulls on the end!

As I have said previously, for those that cant erect a beam, and only have room for a colinear then a halo could just sit under the colinear and mean that people dont lose 20dB when it comes to cross polarisation!

Matt

In reply to G8XYJ:

In reply to MM0FMF:
Indeed Andy!

Halo loops would be the way to go for pure omnidirectional horizontal.

Or, if you are home brewing, crossed dipoles are mechanically more simple…

Adrian

In reply to G4AZS G8XYJ MM0FMF:

My activation of G/WB-010 The Wrekin today, was quite significant in terms of the collinear, bearing in mind, conditions were pretty much flat on 2m.

I worked around a dozen stations who had never heard this well activated summit on 2m.

Amongst these G4OBK, MW0IML, MW0BLU, G0VOF, 2E0GLE, G0MZZ and many more who told me it was a ‘new one’ for them.

This summit prior to my activation had been activated 123 times with 1028 2m contacts logged = average of only 8 2m contacts per activation.

How many of these contacts were done on ssb and how many on FM, I can’t answer.

This summit has a reputation for good VHF take-off, I managed 80 2m FM contacts, however, it was hard work. Would I have managed that sort of number on any other antenna, well, I have my doubts.

73 Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:
Mike,
To add to your stats:-
I only managed WB-010 twice in 2011 and they were both on 2m ssb; none since. One was from Hereford and the other s2s from Arrenig Fawr; never before from Hereford on 2m FM.

Thanks for today’s point.
Rod

In reply to M0JLA:

Mike,
To add to your stats:-
I only managed WB-010 twice in 2011 and they were both on 2m ssb; none
since. One was from Hereford and the other s2s from Arrenig Fawr;
never before from Hereford on 2m FM.

I’m 99.99% certain, Rob G0HRT, said it was a new one for him too.

Thanks for today’s point.

And thanks for the reply, Rod.

73 Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:
Just goes to show that it is not just me then.

Very hard work Monday to qualify - managed to end up with 7 contacts on 2m fm.

At one point thought I was going to have to climb up that hill on another day this year! :frowning:

Got there in the end though.

Initially wanted to do some hf, but a lack of equipment forced me to do just a 2m hand held activation using the rubber duck on the FT-60.

The mast up there I am sure makes quite a difference, though not as much as I was expecting…maybe due to me being forced to stay on the duck.

A cold and wet Mondays mornings radio, with my thanks to G4TXF, G7TGK, M0VXX/M, M1CNL, G3NPJ, G6PYI/M and M0MTJ/M.

Not my favourite SOTA walk, but at least I can give it a miss until next year!

John