2m Conditions

In reply to G8ADD:

I was not suggesting that any approach to a good friend of mine would speak at all for SOTA.
I have been using the Mynd long before I became interested in SOTA without any previous issues.

I am not stupid and have personally worked with various NT staff through my professional life and during my degree course and have no intention of bringing SOTA into any kind of disrepute.

I shall therefore keep quiet on the subject and so as not to upset any of you further, will cease to take part in SOTA.

Simon
2E0CHV

In reply to 2E0CHV:

Hi Simon,

It was a pleasure to work you S2S from G/DC-001 the other
day. Please don’t let today’s experience and this thread
put you off SOTA - this is just a very sensitive issue!

The danger with asking those in Authority what they are
looking for is that it might trigger an unwelcome ruling
which makes life much harder for future activators…

You might like to read these threads for background:
http://www.sotawatch.org/reflector.php?topic=6755
http://www.sotawatch.org/reflector.php?topic=2345

Hope to work you from another summit before too long,
as I’m planning a trip to the Welsh Borders very soon.

73, John M0VCM

In reply to 2E0CHV:

In reply to G8ADD:

I shall therefore keep quiet on the subject and so as not to upset any
of you further, will cease to take part in SOTA.

Simon, please reconsider your threat to quit SOTA. I enjoyed having a QSO with you on WB-004 this evening. You were romping into IO81 here in mid-Somerset on 2 metres. It sounded idyllic up there!

Looking forward to hearing you again.

Remember, it’s only a hobby!

Nick 2E0FGQ

In reply to 2E0CHV:

Simon, I’m not upset and I’m sorry that you are upset. My thinking was that from the point of view of the NT you would have no standing in the matter, but that any consideration of the matter taking place at a higher level than the wardens could lead to a hardening of attitudes before the MT had the opportunity to assemble a case to put to them.

Bear in mind that if the NT formally ban SOTA activations on their many properties - and for a start they own a lot of the Lake District summits - This could have a knock-on effect with other organisations such as the Forestry Commission or the National Parks. At the moment we may be a low-impact activity but we are also operating below the radar. This has been a reasonably comfortable position for the last decade but if we appear on the radar in the wrong way then SOTA in this country might suddenly become a lot more difficult.

I hope that you will continue with SOTA and if it becomes necessary to enter into communication with the NT, I’m sure that your advice would be valuable.

Brian G8ADD

In reply to M0VCM:

Hi John,

It was indeed lovely to hear from you this evening. I had a fabulous time on Titterstone Clee. I very much look forward to our next QSO with my new and improved homebrew Moxon.

Using an old TR9130 which was given to me as not working and I repaired, plus a moxon which cost £7 to make… shows how much fun you can have with very little!

Simon

In reply to 2E0FGQ:

Hi Nick,

It was good to have a qso with you too. I have found the amateur radio fraternity to be most friendly and welcoming.

I look forward to our next qso and will hopefully be out portable somewhere on Sunday late afternoon…

Simon

In reply to G8ADD:

Hi Brian,

Have you ever thought of becoming a politician? :slight_smile:

I fully apprecaite your position, just felt the initial response I received from another member was totally ‘off hand’.

Anyway an eventful day which had two very positive elements, meeting Mike YYY and good propogation and contacts from WB-004.

I look forward to continuing to activate SOTA summits and on occassion joining discussion on the reflector.

Simon

There was another NT incident on Long Mynd - Pole Bank G/WB-005 back in February last year. See http://www.sotawatch.org/reflector.php?topic=5289#43751

Jimmy 2(O)0EYP

In reply to 2E0CHV:

In reply to G8ADD:

Hi Brian,

Have you ever thought of becoming a politician? :slight_smile:

I’m not qualified for politics, my IQ is too high! :wink:

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

Indeed… plus I am sure you are a man of your word. which instantly precludes you from the political class!

In reply to 2E0CHV:

That is a sad truth!

GN, I’m for my pit!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

Ditto!!

In reply to 2E0CHV:

They probably thought Mike’s collinear needed a red light on the top to stop aircraft colliding with it :slight_smile:

In reply to G7LAS:

Actually, that’s a thought! At the south end of the Mynd there used to be a glider school, I haven’t been down that end recently so I don’t know if they still bungee launch gliders there, but last time I was on the Mynd the air was full of those flimsy-looking parachute gliders. Perhaps they are worried that someone will be brought down by colliding with an antenna!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

Plenty of gliders still up there. Perhaps they could put a permanent runway up there, as an alternative to a third at Heathrow. That would give the NT something to think about! :slight_smile:

In reply to 2E0CHV:
…“Anyway an eventful day which had two very positive elements, meeting Mike YYY and good propogation and contacts from WB-004.”…

So the 2 positives are clearly good propogation and good contacts? :wink:

In reply to G1STQ:

Yes John

Meeting Mike would indeed have made it an ‘eventful’ day?

Simon

Did Mike stand on any of your equipment?

:slight_smile:

In reply to M0TUB:

In reply to G1STQ:

Yes John

Meeting Mike would indeed have made it an ‘eventful’ day?

Simon

Did Mike stand on any of your equipment?

:slight_smile:

I suppose you still want a lift on Sunday :slight_smile:

73 Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:
LOL

In reply to G1STQ:
Looks like there is a lift on this morning. Hearing stations not usually picked up.
Station in Daventry 5/1. M6CMG.
(184 miles ) - not even beaming that way
Net on 145.400 fm

Liz