2m Activation Equipment Advice (Part 2)

Continuing the discussion from 2m Activation Equipment Advice (Part 1) - #101 by M7OMZ.

Previous discussions:

2 Likes

Continuing the discussion from 2m Activation Equipment Advice (Part 1):

Whilst true, many come up for sale second hand. I counted more than 10 HHs on that list that I own or have owned; the majority acquired in very good second hand condition.

It all depends what you want from a HH (Multiband, APRS, Digital, Large Colour Screen, etc).

For SOTA, my favourite no bells, no whistles HH is the FT-65 - which I have used for the majority of my VHF activations - and can still be purchased new today.

A quick search shows a second hand FT-65 as well as a FT-4X for a little over £60.

5 Likes

I took @M0RWX recommendation of a FT-4X. Excellent little radio for £60 new!

And it survived being catapulted 30m onto rocks in a 70mph gust on Eildir Fawr :rofl::rofl:

Here it is on GM/SI-033 Travall on island of Rum, saving the day during a solar storm !

7 Likes

@M0RWX and @G5OLD

Thanks - this is the info I need. For some reason (reading other posts here and there), I had it in my head that I must get a dual-conversion superhet. Hence I was looking at the FT-70d, or getting a new FT-60 shipped from the US.

I do want to try HF at some point too. Someone I was speaking to advised me against the X6100 because of its price (and potential for damage on SOTA). Well, my phone is £400, and that gets taken all over the place, so there’s not much difference there (save that the radio probably won’t get dropped down the loo accidentally).

3 Likes

@2E0IYM - do you have an update? Keen to know how you got on. :crossed_fingers:

1 Like