250+ Uniques

Congratulations to Paul G4MD for activating 250 Uniques…a bit late but I have only just spotted it. Only 9 activators in the World have reached the 250 Uniques level so it is quite a significant achievement. The next level is 500 which looks like being a lifetime achievement.

Richard
G3CWI

Congratulations Paul on achieving 250 activator uniques.

Jimmy M(W)3EYP

congratulation to you Paul, 250 summits in task ! fine ! I dream for that also and realised that it will take several years with our french version !
best regards and a cup of champagne !
Robert

In reply to F5HTR:

I dream for
that also and realised that it will take several years with our french
version !

Robert

Like a fine wine, the best things take a little time!

Richard
G3CWI

I have been stalling in the low 200s for a long time, while revisiting all my unique summits with Jimmy M3EYP for him to get them. However, now he only needs five DCs to match my uniques record, so we should then be able to make a determined move towards the 250 uniques threshold.

Because we want to complete the SCs at the same time, we need a 6-day pass-out - so unlikely to be before Easter 2010, and more probably August 2010. In the meantime, we shall probably focus on new uniques in NW and LD, but we will also be going for points in the winter bonus period, revisiting old favourites like SP-002, 4, 5, 8, WB-002, 3, 4, 5, MW-013, NW-042, 43, 44, 49, 51 (70 easy points if we do all of them in the bonus period - more if we repeat any either side of the New Year).

Jimmy now has all the same uniques as me in GM, GW and GI, and in all G regions except DC. Hopefully we will synchronize our records and both attain the 250 uniques in 2010. It will have taken me 8 years, and Jimmy 5 years.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

However, now he only needs five DCs to match my uniques record, so we should then be able to make a determined move towards the 250 uniques threshold.

Better leave these awhile Tom - Paul and I have arranged for you to be detained at the Tamar border and your passports retained when you go down there. We have to stall you by whatever means possible!

By the way, Paul has his sights firmly set on the 300 Uniques level. Expect something good for that one!

73, Gerald

In reply to G4OIG:

By the way, Paul has his sights firmly set on the 300 Uniques level.
Expect something good for that one!

Sadly the best is behind him:

21/May/2008 G/SP-015 (The Cloud)

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to G3CWI:

No it’s North of him. :wink:

For your 300th I propose you come here and we go and do something in Sutherland.

In fact what a splendiferous idea… a mass IO78 activation. Who’s up for that then? (prebooks Messrs. OIG, MD, YSS, YAM, PKT, COX… )

Andy
MA0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

Make it NS-013, I’ll try and get fit for it!:wink:

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

I had to look it up. Wah! OK you can baggsy that one Brian.

For the uninitiated (like me):
Gorm Loch Mor © Roddy Smith cc-by-sa/2.0
The best view in Scotland perhaps? - subjective, as these things should be.
From the summit of A
A

Andy
MA0FMF

In reply to G3CWI:

Well spotted Richard! Many thanks to yourself, Jimmy and Robert for the congrats.

Despite what the database says, summit no. 250 was a wet and windy Carneddol, NW-068, on the first day of the recent Lleyn expedition.

By the end of the next Winter Bonus period, I anticipate that I will have activated virtually every UK mainland summit south of Kendal. As the uniqes get further and further away, I will have to consider bowing to the inevitable…

73 de Paul G4MD

In reply to G4MD:

Well Paul, I’ll provide the prop… keep talking to me and I’ll keep you off doing repeat activations. Don’t let these returnees put you off. Besides we have those longer “first activation” sorties to carry out with plenty of trackless Galloway type ground to cross before we baulk out!

As for the best being behind you, I can’t agree with Richard’s comment. The Cloud may be a decent enough summit, but it isn’t anything compared to some of those we have done in Wales. It certainly didn’t get my endorphins buzzing.

I like Andy’s suggestion of a GM/NS mass celebratory activation. It has a lot going for it. We’d better start planning as you’ve not that many summits before the 300th comes around.

73, Gerald

You are right Gerald, but you are missing the point. My circular walk on Saturday taking in Moel Llyfnant and Arenig Fawr was an absolute stunner, and far more exhilarating than anything The Cloud can offer. However, The Cloud gives you that “decent enough” summit, and fine views in return for a 10 minute walk, but more importantly, is en route to work for Richard and myself.

It is the best. Just check out the list of the most activated summits on the Database if you don’t believe me :wink:

Tom M1EYP

In reply to G4OIG:

As
the uniqes get further and further away, I will have to consider
bowing to the inevitable…

I am of course referring to the inevitable relocation to Scotland ;-))

Of course, what else?

I must admit, I get a bit ‘twitchy’ every time a maths teaching job comes up in Stornoway. Daydreams about hundreds of (unactivated) Western Isles SOTA summits - and Stornoway black pudding…

Tom M1EYP

In reply to MM0FMF:

No it’s North of him. :wink:

Notwithstanding the charms of G/SP-015, I have to agree with Andy!

For your 300th I propose you come here and we go and do something in
Sutherland.

That’s a magnificent plan. I’ll keep it in mind as the time approaches!

In fact what a splendiferous idea… a mass IO78 activation. Who’s up for >that then? (prebooks Messrs. OIG, MD, YSS, YAM, PKT, COX… )

That’s a magnificent plan too. Any other takers?!?

73 de Paul G4MD

Hi All

Gerald G4OIG operating as GW4OIG/P today achieved his 250th Unique by comprehensively activating, in spectacularly good conditions, the magnificent Carnedd Llewelyn GW/NW-002 - a fitting summit on which to become only the tenth to achieve this great milestone.

I am assured that this is just the beginning…

73 de Paul G4MD :slight_smile:

In reply to G4MD:

When I see how much effort it took me to get to 100 uniques living Scotland I can grasp what a major achievement that is for Gerald. Your own tally isn’t to be sniffed at either!

Makes my 106 uniques feel a bit of a damp squib.

Andy
MA0FMF

Well done Gerald. I still have 23 to go to attain the 250 Uniques certificate, but it is further away than it seems. Adding new activator uniques is slow going after 200. Moreso when you are still trying to repeat all those you have already done!

I wonder if anyone will ever claim the 1000 point trophy for Activator Uniques? There are near-completists of the 1557 British Marilyns that live in England, so it is possible.

But again, very well done Gerald. If you can maintain this momentum and mentality, you might well even get the 500 AU certificate before INK or CWI.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

AFAIK there are 2 Marilynists on 1555. Both need Stac Lee and Stac an Armin, a pair of see stacks by St. Kilda.

Stac an Armin: http://www.island-cruising.com/gallery/images/Stac%20an%20Armin.jpg

Stac Lee: http://www.bbc.co.uk/highlandsandislands/content/images/2009/08/19/kilda_stac_lee_470x353.jpg

http://static.panoramio.com/photos/original/18117778.jpg

Andy
MA0FMF