2024 10m challenge - activation #1

Where are you getting S2S from Ron? There isn’t anything about S2S in the Challenge scoring. Nor is there anything about bonus.

1 Like

Presumably activator A gets the “chaser” credit for completing a 10m Q with activator B (i.e. S2S) independent of the activator challenge credit activator A gets. Correct?

1 Like

Hi Tom,

You are correct. The word bonus isn’t in the Rules but there is a multiplier (bonus by another name) system built in. After decoding the programmer talk I have the following.

For an ACTIVATOR
Score = total valid contacts multiplied by the number of SOTA summits ACTIVATED.

If that is wrong I need the original Swahili version please.

HNY
Ron
VK3AFW
Edit.
I have just found the Rules explained in understandable form in posts back in November. Sorry to be digging up old ground. WWHT.

2 Likes

I would have associated the word bonus with an additive process whereas in this case it is multiplicative.

5 Likes

But remember that valid contacts are only valid one time. For example, if I chase you 100 times, the only contact that will give you a point is the first one we had.

4 Likes

Mornington Crescent!

5 Likes

Thanks Takeo,

Yes it does say “unique chaser”. Something else I hadn’t initially taken in although the Swahili is clear.

That makes it tougher for countries with a small cohort of active chasers to build up a decent number of valid contacts. For them it necessitates working DX so I will be looking for you and other JAs.

Adrian, yes, you win the stuffed toy. (I had to do some Googling to get your point.)

Ron
VK3AFW

3 Likes

Seems to me, unless the sporadic E gets good or the Sun really boosts the F layer, you’re going need a good bunch of active chasers at least a thousand miles (maybe much more) from your summits, 'cos the ground wave coverage is going to be limited…

2 Likes

That’s how I understood the scoring, but is something wrong with the calculation? as I chased MW0PJE/P on GW/NW-043 and GW/NW-042 on NYD and have a challenge score of 4. I was expecting a score of 2. The challenge log shows me as having 2 unique contacts, but they were both with Pete.

Paul.

1 Like

I suspect there’s a gremlin (see It's time for.... the 2024 10m Challenge. (Part 3) - #17 by MM0FMF ) and it’ll be squashed soon…

2 Likes

Thanks, I was too busy reading through thread #1 to see if I was missing something :laughing:

1 Like

I suspect the “unique chaser” reference is the rules is a combination of the chaser AND the summit. So if the summit is different but the chaser is the same then it counts for 2 unique contacts.

I’m sure that in the fullness of time, i.e after Andrew @VK3ARR reviews the ongoing discussions across multiple threads, the scoring will reflect the rules and we can all just get on and work all that we hear.

2 Likes

Rick,

Well 1,000 km from VK3 is VK4 and a couple of northern VK2s. That is not even halfway to ZL or VK6. It’s not going to bring big numbers of unique calls. And once we have worked the dozen regular chasers it’s goodbye for 2024 in the challenge.

Multihop Es could bring in a extra couple of dozen unique calls. Our only hope to get any sort of score relies, as you mention on the F layer and openings to JA, 8,000 km.

Challenge is the right moniker.

Ron
VK3AFW

1 Like

Indeed. I’ve not had much time to chase since New Year, but I’ve given a number of 10 metre activators a listen, and so far I’ve been finding that most of the activations around Europe seem to be in my skip-zone. I can hear a few distant chasers working them, but I can’t hear them at all. Activations across the Atlantic should be far enough away, but then I find the usual problem with chasing across the Atlantic; the QRP(-ish) activators’ signals are just too weak. I hear some of their chasers, but not them. Some of that’s probably down to the (at present exceedingly wet) wooded hillside that looms over my back garden, quietly but effectively suppressing signals (and noise) from anywhere southwest round to northwest.

1 Like

No, it doesn’t. It’s an error.

MT are aware and I’m sure Andrew will fix it very soon.

:wave:

Currently in India for work and without the time to work out what’s going on. May get a fix on Sunday but more likely next weekend.

Wasn’t a huge amount of 10m QSOs and activations to test on when I was testing.

5 Likes

I wouldn’t worry too much Andrew. Everyone should just work everything they can hear, activate when possible and then log everything. We can get the improved code in place when you are more free and there is more data to check against. We have 361 days still to go :wink:

4 Likes

Thanks for the kick off on the 10m Challenge today on VK5/SE-005 Mt Lofty.
VK2 JA VK1 Then NW7E in OR. Amazing diverse places to hear on 10m CW all within about 10 minutes.
See you on the next one.
Regards 73
Ian vk5cz …

1 Like

Happy new year!
Even though the conditions in 10 meters are not as good as they were in 2023, I decided to participate in the “2024 10m Challenge”, but being a 99.9% CW guy, I decided to add a personal “Challenge”. I started activating in SSB and I was pleasantly surprised since I was chased by NA stations and I was also able to do several S2S SSB with Australia.
I think today I caught the microphone because the cold destroyed my fingers :joy: and since the memory keyer was not working correctly, manipulating the iambic was totally unpleasant.
I hope the ¨10 meters Challenge¨ gets more and more interesting.
73 de JP3PPL

1 Like

Great example of this just now. Stavros SV2RUJ/P on SV/TL-065 is inaudible here, but chasers in South Africa are clearly hearing him just fine (enthusiastic 59 reports) and I’m hearing them 59 too. Clearly my expectations of what’s workable and worth chasing need to be adjusted for the 10 metres Challenge. I need to be watching for spots of summits in South Africa, not Europe! :wink:

1 Like