2023 SOTA epilogue

Kevin

Thank you for the messages. Last year I found myself having to travel to Somerset quite often, so regularly found myself diverting via GW/SW land. It’s somewhere I have never been (even before SOTA) . It’s truly beautiful and somewhere I really need to explore more. I’ll give you a shout next time and maybe we could do a joint activation.

JKS

Dave

3 Likes

It certainly was Martin…

you’re not number 2… although you might start dropping down the ranking if your SOTA sabbatical continues much longer…

Dave

2 Likes

Hi Simon

Thanks for the message. i’m sorry to hear how COVID effected your family. My old dad was in a care home for many years after a stroke, and departed 6 months before the pandemic struck. I cannot imagine how awful it must have been to go though both as you did.

COVID is the reason I started SOTA. I sat my full licence on 18th December 2020 and the very next day (my 50th birthday) I went down with the dreaded lergy - I probably had it during the exam. I have asthma and so it took almost 3 months to recover - from Pneumonia. I needed to do something that combined exercise (to help the lungs recover) and allowed me to exercise my new licence - hence I started doing SOTA. I’ve been doing it ever since , apart from now as I have COVID again (5th time)…

I’ve not ventured further south than G/SC land - around Minehead - for SOTA yet. My QTH is near Bakewell, but as there are only 5 SOTA summits in the Peak District itself, I tend to spend most of the time away from here - usually in GW/NW, G/NP or G/LD. I work for a company in Cambridge (used to live there many years ago) but East Anglia is as flat as a pancake so there’s no opportunity to play radio when I have to travel for work. I think next time I’m called down to the office, I’ll return via London and the SE mopping up some G/SE summits. Whether I’ll get as far as the IoW I don’t know…

Thanks again for the message Simon and you have a good 2024.

JKS

Dave

3 Likes

Thanks for the heartwarming posts from the UK. I envy you chaps having so many good SOTA summits and colleagues practically at arm’s length.
Here in Japan the year 2024 started badly: a major earthquake and an aircraft disaster in the first two days. But I’m also grateful for SOTA. I can hop on any time and be greeted by name, with a couple of dozen regular activators and chasers, FB considering we speak different languages. I’m really the only real fanatic down in JA6/ON so it’s a 1000-km haul to JA and slightly less to BV and HL, but there’s always some band open. Propagation to continental Europe is good once in a while, but I don’t think I’ve got any G’s logged.
Best wishes for the new year and many s2s.
Steve JS6TMW

6 Likes