2021 SOTA Portable Radio learnings & overview

2021 was a year of playing with a new HT (FT3DR), along with 2 new HF antenna options (WRC vertical & SOTABEAMS linked dipole). Great time exploring new summits and parks, and many learnings along the way!

Happy New Year! 73, James WA7JNJ

12 Likes

Nice video!

Well done on turning around at McClellan Butte - it’s always the right decision to turn around when you don’t feel confident. The risk is simply not worth it.

73 Ed DD5LP.

5 Likes

Thank you, and completely agree… Have a great 2022! 73, James WA7JNJ

Thanks for all the contacts, especially on 1.25m. Maybe we can try DV some day. I’ve used my FT1DR to chase a few times. C4FM was crystal clear when I wasn’t able to hear the activator buried in the noise with standard FM.

73!

Thank you Jason for all the contacts as well! It definitely was fun to do more 220 this year, and great idea about more DV in 2022. I just looked at 2020 log from Summit Lake Peak W7W/RS-038, and saw you weren’t able to hear me on FM…but able on C4FM. Very cool! Happy New Year! 73 James

1 Like

I thought that one might have been you! I had noted it was C4FM but the mode was set to FM in my log. Thanks for the reminder. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for the summary. Especially the comparison of your Baofeng radio with a Yaesu one confirms my prejudice.
In addition also giving the J-Pole a big :+1:
From my point of view a must have for every activator on VHF especially if you are not close to a big city.

Enjoy your future explorations and learning. Hope to hear you for a S2S one day if solar condx improve.

73 de Joe

1 Like

Thank you Joe for feedback and would be awesome for S2S someday… (-: I haven’t been a ham during the top of a cycle, and would be fun to get more more European stations in the future. 73, James

Hi James, great video, thanks and HNY to you.

Cheers :beers:

Geoff vk3sq

1 Like

Oh boy are you in for some fun. Nothing better than being on a summit (in my case GM) and having 6 or 7 W6/W7 stations all calling me at the same time all strong signals. Made even more fun by the band being so open you could hear round-the-world echoes from many stations.

Make yourself some antennas for 15, 12 and 10m now so you have them ready. Probably a lot of 15m SOTA opportunities now that people are not exploring.

2 Likes

Thanks for the enjoyable video. Wow, some incredible scenery in there. Definitely no shame in turning back when you felt like you’d reached your limit. I felt nervous just watching from the comfort of my home!

Hope you have many more enjoyable SOTA activations this year and hopefully work you S2S one day.

73 - Matthew M0JSB

1 Like

Looking forward to it for sure, and will definitely need to make some 15, 12, and 10m antennas… had my first taste of 15m for WWDX contest using 40m antenna. (-: Got me excited about for sure! 73

Really a nice summary!
Paul
VA6MPM

1 Like