2009 on The Cloud G/SP-015

Hope you enjoyed the gardening Steve. I don’t care much for gardening myself, although my wife loves it. If there was ever one reason that I am actually pleased to suffer with hayfever…

Anyway, with a game of squash being cancelled for after work on Wednesday 3rd June 2009, I thought I’d better do something active instead. So a walk up you-know-where on the way home was in order, and John G4YSS’s earlier LD activation gave me the idea to do 2m CW.

As I set up the SOTA Beam on the summit, a little lad, only about 3 years old, became fascinated in what I was doing, watching intently and asking loads of questions. His dad was interested too, and they decided to stick around until I had finished setting up and was on the air.

Now CW is not a spectator sport by any stretch of the imagination, so I decided to alter the plan and open up on 2m FM, albeit with a horizontal beam. Back came Les M3OUA, and rather than a swift exchange, this quickly became a natter about last night’s contest. Les reported making six QSOs after I had informed him that he needed to give out IO83TK and a serial number.

Brian G4ZRP was also worked on FM, and then Phil G6AKK (Jimmy M3EYP’s Foundation course tutor) for a nice chat. The ragchew style meant that my first 20 minutes of operation spanned just three QSOs. Going over to 2m CW, I was still quite chatty, and spent 20 minutes working Rick M0RCP, Rob G4RQJ, Mike G4BLH and Reg G3WPF. In the middle, someone called ‘QRS’, so I did, down to 15wpm, but I never heard from that station again.

After things dried up on 2m CW, I was mindful that Jimmy M3EYP would now be home from school and no doubt checking SOTAwatch. Hence I returned to 2m FM, and sure enough he called me, along with Mike G4BLH, Richard G3CWI, Steve GW7AAV, Chris M1DTJ and Mike 2E0MAS.

All in all, it was rather a pleasant little activation, using my favourite modes on 2m. It’s a pity that there is hardly any activity on CW and FM on the RSGB Activity Contest nights. Many thanks to all callers, especially the 2m CWers. I might do something after work today as well. Any requests for bands/modes if you’re going to be around at that time (1530z approx)?

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

Flushed with success at working John on 144 CW from LD-001 yesterday I will listen for you this evening (around 144.020?) and would be grateful if you could beam East.

73 Roy G4SSH
Scarborough

Hi Roy,

OK, 2m CW it is then, as all requests so far are 2m CW! I normally use 144.060, or is that not a good QRG for you?

I did beam East for you yesterday hoping that you might be listening, but I’ll definitely do so again today.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

144.060 is fine Tom. Was out the other day and missed you

Hope CU later

73 Roy

(Later 1330 UTC)

John GX0OOO/p is running late and is now scheduled to be on 144.050 CW at 1500 UTC on LD 014 - could even be an s2s

We seem to have missed each other again this afternoon Roy. I tried beaming your way several times, but no joy. I don’t know if you were monitoring at the time, or if you had to go out.

It was a super activation though. Ten stations were worked on 2m CW: G4OBK, GX0OOO/P on Kirk Fell G/LD-014, G3RMD, G4BLH, G0BPU (Ipswich - gud DX), G3OHC, GI4SRQ (Armagh - gud DX), G3WPF, G0CVH and G0ORA. The last two were more into ragchew style operation, and were pretty fast operators as well (going faster than my 26wpm) so I really had to concentrate to keep up and contribute meaningfully to the conversation.

Delighted as I was to get ten distinct calls in on a 2m CW activation, I always like to work everyone in the “2m CW club”. So I did hang around and call for a while, hoping that I might also get some of M0RCP, G0TDM, G4OWG, G0AZS, G3CWI, M0COP, G4RQJ and of course G4SSH. I didn’t, but I did get a few more QSOs over on 2m SSB. But - potential for a 2m CW SOTA activation with twenty distinct callsigns in the logbook? Sounds good!

The weather was lovely again on summit this afternoon, and as usual most of the other walkers on The Cloud wanted to chat and ask questions. This is good, as it makes for a jolly and convivial atmosphere, even if it does slow the QSO rate down a bit!

I finished with 18 QSOs in the log, 10 on 2m CW and 8 on 2m SSB. For next week, I am thinking of early morning (0600-0640z) activations on 40m CW or possibly 80m CW. We shall see.

Many thanks to all callers again, and for those that asked, this was my 275th activation of The Cloud.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

Hi Tom

Thanks for the lenghty calls but I am afraid that even though I strained my ears I just did not hear a whisper of your call on 144.060 CW, even though I heard Phil working you.

I think we lost the last of the high pressure area today.

Maybe next time.

73 Roy G4SSH

It was another “as per usual” activation on THAT summit, the second-closest to my home QTH, this morning. I was up and about at 6am local, so the pre-work activation was in order. An alert was on from the night before, so I didn’t bother with a “progress report spot”, believing it to be unnecessary these days.

Sure enough, after ascending in coat and fleece (it was chilly in the wind) and setting up, my very first call on 7.032MHz CW was answered by a chaser. Followed by eight more. A try on 15m CW brought in one extra contact, as did the customary call on SU70 prior to descending.

I hope to work many chasers this evening on 6m - and maybe some DX as well. It will be mainly CW, as I am chasing points for the G3WGV annual CW table, but I intend warming the microphone up at some point.

It is also looking like I could be doing the breakfast activation tomorrow (Friday) morning as well - so any requests for particular bands/modes for that one, if you will be in the shack between 7 and 7.30am BST?

Tom M1EYP

I ascended on the afternoon of Monday 22nd June 2009 in shirt sleeves. On summit, it was tempting to bask in the hot sunshine, but there was radio to do. In order to exorcise the previous night’s demon of just three contacts (on 6m CW), I wanted to set up for something that would demand more of the logbook, but not close the door on any interesting DX that might be about.

Hence I set up the 40m dipole, but with the intention to open up on 15m, which I can work on the same antenna. Doing so brought HA7UG straight in, who also kindly spotted me. This was useful, as I had carelessly allowed my 'phone to run out of charge. Ten QSOs ensued on 21MHz CW, from HA, HB, DL, I, F and G.

I was, by then, enjoying working the SOTA chasers, so I didn’t bother hunting the DX on 15m when the pile-up thinned out. Instead, I QSYd straight onto 40m CW and the iconic, and recently rescued 7.032MHz. This brought a further 18 QSOs into LA, ON, DL, G, F, SM and EI. I think there was an S5 that called as well, but it was a ‘gotaway’ and we did not complete.

I announced that I would be QRV on 2m FM in 10 or 5 minutes a few times as I thought no-one else was calling, but a few times I then did hear someone call. I think I did manage to work everyone before I did dismantle the dipole. I had a nice chat with a chap who I had met the previous evening on the same hill. He asked me if I had been here all night, but I reminded him that my son was here last night. “Oh yes, he was by that wall doing VHF” came the more-informed-than-usual reply. I got the vibe that his wife strongly disapproved of me doing amateur radio on The Cloud though!

Prior to descent, I operated for 15 minutes on VHF, working three on 2m FM, and another three on 70cm FM. The VHF element added GW to the DXCCs worked, and took the activation to a total of 34 QSOs. Not a bad hour’s work.

Thanks to everyone that called in, and apologies for the pauses, caused by me needing to sneeze. It was a very bad day for hayfever!

73, Tom M1EYP

Optimistic as ever, and following the propagation in the week so far, I hoped that 15m might be useable on the early morning of Thursday 25th June 2009. It wasn’t, but never mind, the set up is intended for 40m anyway.

So after an early get-up and drive south, and the short steep ascent in full sunshine, I went onto 7.032MHz CW to try there. This time the response was immediate, courtesy of Fritz DL4FDM. The next twenty minutes were rather busy with 14 QSOs into 9 DXCCs: DL, SM, S5, F, HA, GM, GI, I and OE. Sunshine and deep blue sky dominated from horizon to horizon, and even though I was earlier than normal, still a significant number of people (and dogs) walked over the summit while I was there.

After packing away, I called on 2m and 70cm FM from the handheld, hoping to add G and GW to the DXCCs worked in the activation, but like 15m, the silence was deafening! Many thanks to all callers.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:
Hi I will be attending the 1000 Engine rally at Astle Park this W.E.I hope to activate the Cloud on Friday late afternoon /evening.And possibly the Gun on Saturday evening.Will try to spot.ATB Geoff G6MZX

I hope the weekend went well Geoff. We too were pretty busy this weekend, and hence why I never really got the chance to pop over and say hello on one of your local activations.

Today was busy too with a gym workout with Jimmy (or should that be a Jim workout with gymmy?), Liam doing a ‘Mad Mile’ for charity (dressed as Superman) and then lunch in Stoke-on-Trent. It was a big lunch and a nice day, so I decided the big lunch needed to be walked off on the nice day. So, surprise surprise, we nipped up The Cloud on the way home.

This was low-effot low-budget stuff. And given the super weather, and not-so-super pollen count, it needed to be quick. The summit, as expected was busy, but S20 not so. Several calls by Jimmy were not answered. A few calls by me on the VX-7R handy brought in M0ICK in Wigan. More trying from Jimmy eventually got him MW0OTE/M.

A few more tries from me brought nought, so I wandered downhill, following Jimmy and Liam who had already set off. As short a time as we were out in the ‘elements’, we had not been quick enough, with Liam and I suffering badly with hayfever symptoms on the drive home.

Tom M1EYP

Activation report: Wednesday 1st July 2009

“White rabbits” is something you are supposed to say for good luck on the first day of the month. There were several brown rabbits that had very good luck dodging the wheels of my car as I drove through North Rode at 5.20am BST. For some reason, probably hayfever, I had awoken very early, and decided to put the time to good use.

I was QRV on the summit and working HA7UG by 0500z. I then very much enjoyed a pleasing run of 30 QSOs and 16 DXCCs, mainly on 20m CW, but finishing off on 2m and 70cm FM.

Another pollen-irritated early rise saw me back on The Cloud on Thursday 2nd July 2009. Results were even better than the previous day, with 35 QSOs and 18 DXCCs, all on 20m CW apart from the last one - Steve GW7AAV on 70cm FM.

The activation on Friday 3rd July 2009 was the mass activation by myself and Jimmy with my eight new Foundation licensees from school. The report is in the topic: “The Cloud Friday”.

Tom M1EYP

Monday 6th July 2009. A nice bright afternoon, and a flyer from work just after 3pm. Up The Cloud in shorts, sandals and with nothing carried other than a VX-7R handheld & RD, pencil and logbook. A stunning total of two contacts made on 2m FM, and home for tea.

Tom M1EYP

Tuesday 7th July 2009. The first Tuesday of the month, so it had to be 2m night for the RSGB activity contest. I was absolutely worn out after working south of Birmingham and being up since before 5am, but I dragged myself out of the armchair and back into the car at 7pm, and drove over to The Cloud G/SP-015.

The steep flight of steps on the initial part of the route had me gasping for breath like the “old days” when I was rather unfit, but today the cause was straightforward exhaustion!

Nonetheless, I was set up and ready to go in plenty of time on the summit, and on the stroke of 8pm (or 1900z) I kicked off by working Dave GW8ZRE/P on Cyrn-y-Brain - but not SOTA qualifying. Marianne was working later, so I couldn’t stay for the duration of the contest, hence my 39th QSO - with GW8ASD - had to be the final one. The best contact was the one prior to that - Rob GD4RQJ/P on Mull Hill GD/GD-005 for a very nice S2S.

If operating until 10.30pm, I would expect to make around 65 QSOs, so it just goes to show that around two thirds of all your contest logs are made in the first third of the allotted time.

Tom M1EYP

After a “day off” on the Wednesday, it was back to Cloud summit, early morning on Thursday 9th July 2009. This one was billed as “DL Fruhstuck Klub” on the SOTAwatch Alerts, but in the event, only Mike DJ5AV was worked in the activation. Perhaps me not being able to remember where the umlauts go in ‘Fruhstuck’ confused everyone hi!

11 QSOs were made on 40m CW, and then one on 2m FM. And then I went to work.

Tom M1EYP

Friday 10th July 2009, and for once, I did not wake up unnaturally early. It was my alarm clock that went off unnaturally early, as this pre-work dawn activation was entirely pre-meditated.

After the previous day’s dabble with 40m, today was earmarked for a resumption of 20m CW. I was pleased with the haul of 18 QSOs in 10 DXCCs, but especially chuffed with RX9, IS0 and a S2S with HA7UL/P on HA/KM-029.

As usual, I called on VHF at the end, 70cm FM this morning. As usual, Steve GW7AAV replied to get his point across.

Thanks to all.

Tom M1EYP

At work on Friday, it was the final Year 7 enrichment session of the school year. I used the radio lesson to invite parents in for a celebration of eight students’ success, powerpoint presentation of photos throughout the year (from SWLing on old portables, through Foundation practical assessments, to activating on The Cloud), demonstration of amateur radio and buffet. At this event, it was Charlotte M3YUR (as I expected) that was most keen and confident to demonstrate operating in front of the visiting parents and senior staff.

Later, she told me that she had lost a set of keys on The Cloud during the previous Friday’s activation, but had been too embarrassed to mention it earlier in the week. I too was now embarrassed, for a set of keys, with a tag displaying “CHARLOTTE” had been sitting atop the topograph all week. I had noted it on each of my activation visits since, and wondered who had lost their keys up there, but never connecting with the fact that I myself took not one, but two Charlottes (M3YUR and M6CYA) up there with the rest of the group last week!

I told Charlotte M3YUR that I knew where they were, and would get them for her. What a great excuse to get out for another early one, even if it was Saturday (11th July 2009). And I really enjoyed the activation this morning. Mark G0VOF was first to call on 14.013MHz CW, and from then on, the pile-up was entertainingly large. There were a few alligators knocking around, but I didn’t mind - it gave me more time to listen to the pile-up and pick out a callsign!

I ended with 33 QSOs and 15 DXCCs: G, S5, E7, YO, 9A, HA, UR, F, RA, SP, HB, OK, DL, LZ and LY. Calls on 2m and 70cm FM remained unanswered - GW7AAV must have been having a lie-in. And Charlotte M3YUR’s keys were still there. So after over a week braving the elements upon The Cloud, the keys are now in my pocket, and ready to return to the rightful owner on Monday.

Thanks to all callers for a great response this morning.

Tom M1EYP

It was back up to the summit of Ye Olde Faithfulle, The Cloud G/SP-015, early morning Tuesday 28th July 2009.

While the main intention was to do 2m FM, I also had aspirations to get a good 45 minutes of HF CW in first. However, when I eventually got to bed at 1am this morning, I thought better of it and moved the alarm set to give me an extra 90 minutes of slumber.

Getting up at 7.30am then, the plan was to simply make it onto the summit for 8.30am, and do a bit of 2m. I was there slightly early after an enjoyable walk up, ans slowly, I worked four stations. With no-one else calling on 145.475MHz, I called it a day, as I wanted to get the car in for a much needed clean at 9am.

There was a point where I suddenly realised that I would have to select a different summit for tonight’s 6m contest - unless I wanted to roll them together as a 14 hour activation! So when I got home, tonight’s alert was edited, and I will now go to Gun G/SP-013. Just for a change.

73, Tom M1EYP

Friday 21st August 2009 saw another joint activation of The Cloud G/SP-015 by M1EYP & M3EYP. I made 18 contacts on 20m CW using the Magic Moggy, while Jimmy completed 7 on 2m FM. That’s about it really.

Tom M1EYP