2000 watts necessary?

In reply to G1INK:

hope you enjoyed your GM uniques. How wet did your feet get on Grange Fell?

6 thoroughly enjoyable summits despite 3 being activated in the rain and wind, with 2 others activated at around zero degrees C (not counting any windchill factor). Only Grange Fell was a relatively comfortable activation as Paul persuaded me to operate from the trig in the clearing sheltered from the hoolie that was raging… and no wet feet either! Looks like it’s time you got some new boots Steve. :slight_smile:

In reply to G8XYJ:

I agree with you Gerald, although I do not operate HF for SOTA

The same principle applies to 2m as well Matt. A one minute break is all that is required to make people think. The main problem is when there is deep QSB and Chasers call on the off-chance when you are already in QSO with someone. Personally I can cope with this as it is usually a short term inconvenience resolved by a change in conditions. I’d rather be called by people than not!

As for changing bands “mid-stream” as so to speak, it has its pros and cons. The major pro is that you know the beam heading and have the Chaser on the line. The major con is if you are spotted on the second band and the Chasers think you have concluded operations on the first. After years of running 2m + 70cms + 23cms, I still haven’t decided which is the best way to go about it.

With regards to beams, don’t forget not everyone on SSB has a beam. It’s worth trying vertical polarisation on the mode. I’m seriously considering slant polarisation!

In reply to G8ADD:

I have lost many potential chases on 2m SSB because the activator has turned his beam away for a stronger station and somehow never seems to get around to turning it back!

Certainly don’t blame the beam, blame the Activator. As I have said several times before, calls to all quarters is the way to operate on VHF / UHF unless there’s a cliff several hundred metres high behind you (Craig y Castell and Cadair Idiris).

Gerald G4OIG