2 Goats in a day!

In reply to G4OIG:

I think the final summit should have been GM/SI-006!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

For both of them of course… :slight_smile:

I was just making the point that both Carolyn and Andy have quite a few challenging summits under their belts. For them it has not just been a case of bagging the optimal ones year on year to maximise the points. Both have shown in their summit accounts a true and deep love for the mountains and hills. They are both extremely worthy additions to the goatfold. :slight_smile:

73, Gerald G4OIG

Excellent.

If I could have a photo of your choosing and a couple of lines about your MG activation and/or memorable moments during the campaign, it would be very useful for publicity. I will add you both to the “call for PR items” thread (and remind others about it).

Congratulations to you both on an excellent achievement.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to G8ADD:

Surely not Brian - I wouldn’t wish that on any Goat!

Well done to Carolyn and Andy and safe descents in perpetuity

From the Goat that did and broke an arm :frowning:

73 de Paul G4MD

In reply:

My congratulations to you both as well. I do enjoy reading of your exploits and it should really prompt me to write more myself.

Andy - You snuck an extra summit in there yesterday, I saw your spots on Tinto but thought you’d need another hill to reach Goatdom. Little did I realise you’d already done said other hill.

Iain, MM3WJZ

In reply to G8XYJ:
Congratulations Carolyn and Andy.
Frank

In reply to G4MD:

Oh come now, Paul, its a lovely little hill! Now if you’d said A’Chir…fortunately that isn’t a Marilyn!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD

Now if you’d said A’Chir…fortunately that isn’t a Marilyn!

But it is a HuMP if you fancy giving it a go Brian, but I will not, most regretably, be accompanying you !!

Well done to both Andy and Carolyn on reaching Goatdom.

Mike G4BLH

Congratulations both. I was pleased to work Carolyn on her summit, but the QSB and our high local noise level meant Martyn didn’t manage to get through. Hoping for some more S2S from both of you.

Caroline M3ZCB

Well done both. Welcome to an exclusive club!

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to All:

Firstly congratulations to Carolyn. I wasn’t sure if you would be able to get out last Sunday due to the WX but it all came right in the end. I had sleet, snow, hail, mist, rain, fog and glorious sunshine! In the end there was about 5 to 6in of fresh snow on Tinto and a fierce wind. But the sun was shining for once.

Thanks for the nice words from everyone. It’s taken me 5.5 years to get to this level, I’ve had a huge amount of fun along the way and made numerous new friends. SOTA only works because there are plenty of activators and chasers and I’d like to thank every single one of my QSO partners over the years for bothering to make the effort to work me, especially when there have been pileups.

After all the chasers, a few people deserve a mention: the various SOTA MT and AMs along the way who brought SOTA into the world. Without them I wouldn’t have started any of this. Also a big thanks to Roy G4SSH for giving me the courage to go on the air with the ropiest and most awful Morse skills ever. Despite being licensed for about 17years at the time, I’d put off doing Morse. I guess it must be frustrating for the proper CW ops listening to me trying to make sense of their perfectly reasonable sending but I hope I’ve improved a bit since I started doing CW on a regular basis. Roy’s words of encouragement has completely reinvigorated my enjoyment of amateur radio. Roy, if you could see the smile on my face when I finish an activation you’d understand what you’ve done. My 1st activation was on Tinto using 2m FM and I did think of goating-out with the same. But instead I settled on a CW only activation to celebrate the little I’ve learned.

One person deserves special mention, Brian G4ZRP. He encouraged me to start for one simple reason. He had seen the nonchalent way I treated my diabetes and was worried that such disregard would be bad for me long term. Of course he didn’t say that but just kept telling about the fun he had chasing. Finally he persuaded me to buy some boots and take my 817 up a hill when he came to stay. The rest, as they say, is history. Still I think I should send him the bill for 30k miles worth of petrol! Seriously, if it hadn’t been for him and SOTA then my health would be very, very much worse than it is. I stress this because there are lots of people with similar health issues to me. If someone, who did no exercise for 25+ years and had developed a disease at 35 you normally develop as you approach 70 years, can learn to enjoy hillwalking and some physical effort and keep on doing it to achieve this then trust me when I say anyone can.

Next target is 250 uniques with some DX activations as well I hope.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:
Hi and major congratulations to all three of you in achieving your mountain goat status. Great to work you on summit - 2 - summits over the last year and looking forward to many more.

Colwyn
MM0YCJ

Many congratulations Carolyn, Andy and Petr.

In reply to MM0FMF:

Congratulations Andy on reaching the heady hights of Goatdom, we are now part of the herd :o)

Thank you to all who have been part of my gaining Mountain Goat, it has not always been easy to have contacts and they are usually very short but all are always appreciated.

Carolyn

In reply to G8XYJ:
Congratulations to the three of you. One day, many years from now I hope to join the herd!

Nick G4OOE