2 Easy summits in a pleasant afternoon

Since my first activation in a was a challenging walk, I decided the next one would be less of a challenge. In fact it turned out to be next 2.

Sunday 11th August SP-013 Gun and SP-015 The Cloud.

Still being restricted to handheld and basic rucksack antenna until my new lifepos arrive they would be 2 quick Sunday afternoon activations.

Being 2 summits that are regularly activated due to their ease there is not much to say about my activations. No rain, reasonable temperatures and the usual vistas across to The Roaches from Gun and across the Cheshire plains from The Cloud. Due to my limited equipment and not spotting 2m FM was slow going with just the required 4 on Gun and 5 on The Cloud with 2 bonus summit to summit qsos with MW0WML/P on Gyrn Moelfre and M0XRS/O on G/SP-005 Pendle Hill.

Whilst there is much discussion on the reflector of equipment and gear and food for walks (soup Tom?)I have yet to spot anything on in car entertainment for the journey. I don’t like to operate the radio whilst driving so rely on what entertainment can be found on commercial radio or my own choices.

So maybe to start a trend (or not), today I picked the often under-rated prog concept album Olias of Sunhillow by Jon Anderson. At 45 minutes is just long enough for the major segments of the drive. Obviously for longer journeys I will have to delve into my collection.

Ian
G7ADF

In reply to G7ADF:

So maybe to start a trend (or not), today I picked the often
under-rated prog concept album Olias of Sunhillow by Jon Anderson. At
45 minutes is just long enough for the major segments of the drive.
Obviously for longer journeys I will have to delve into my collection.

Its not a bad one for a journey, Ian, but not as inventive as some IMHO: I think the trouble with solo albums is that you don’t get the band members rubbing ideas together, which I think is why there is so much richness in early Genesis (Foxtrot - Suppers Ready) and the Floyd (Animals, Wish you were here) but YMMV!

Brian G8ADD - an old Progger!

The problem with albums is you quickly get very familiar with them so they become less stimulating. Even with a vast library like the entire works of Frank Zappa (I have all approx 80 albums on CD), you still eventually run out of interesting stuff. Although it was fun in the old days driving to Ingleborough G/NP-005 and having Jimmy and Liam (as little lads) singing along to Bobby Brown Goes Down and Son of Mr Green Genes…

So good old radio is the usual preference. The thrill of scan tuning VHF broadcast band for local commercial stations, especially in unfamiliar areas away from home, has steadily deteriorated over the years. Instead of coming across scores of small scale and very individual local stations, everything in the commercial sector seems to be Heart, Smooth or Capital now.

So the Beeb comes back into play. BBC Radio 5 Live is an excellent station, but reception of it in North-West Wales over the past two days was hideous, whether on 909 or 693. In the back of my mind was a Tywyn frequency of 990, but nothing came through. Test Match Special on 198kHz longwave gave bearable reception but not brilliant. BBC Radio 2 and BBC Radio 4 are very good, generally speaking, and I enjoyed, as ever, Brian Mathews’ excellent “Sounds of the Sixties” yesterday morning.

On a Monday night in February, Liam and I were driving back from our Pembrokeshire Coast Road Trip (and a few activations) and chanced upon “Just A Minute” on Radio 4. Liam had never heard it before and absolutely loved it. He is now a big fan of the recent wave of the TV version of the show. Episodes of this are currently showing on Gold and available on Catch-Up if you have the right box.

Medium-wave can often be a good escape from “Bland FM”, but aside from Radio 5, you can find yourself stuck with the appalling audio of TalkSport or medium-wave’s equivalent of Bland FM - Gold! Occasionally there is a gem, like Free Radio 80s, broadcasting from Wolverhampton, which accompanied my activations of WB-002,3,4 and 5 earlier this year.

BBC Radio 2 is my usual choice to and from Tuesday night contest activations, with the start of the Jamie Cullem jazz programme on the way there, and Mark Radcliffe’s Music Club on the way back.

Now on August Bank Holiday Monday, the choice for after an activation will be live music - if I do an activation. I am playing at the Great British Blues Festival in Colne, and am tempted to do the pairing of Pendle Hill G/SP-005 and Boulsworth Hill G/SP-008 during the daytime ahead of this!

Wish I’d got myself in gear this morning and got out to my local hills - shame to have missed both Ian and Allan in the area.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

All those stations, Tom, and no mention of Radio 3! Mind you, I find it too pop nowadays, but at least its better than Classic FM feeding you torn-off and bleeding fragments of large-scale works! In west Wales you can pick up some good programs from across the Irish Sea, but darned if I can remember the stations!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:
I have gone over to the dark side, DAB :frowning: PlanetRock and TeamRockRadio are my main music radio stations now. Of course Radio 4’s position as Most Important Station remains true.

Andy
MM0FMF

Mainly Today FM and RTE Radio 2 Brian.

Funnily enough I have been listening to Radio 3 this week. Last night was the BBC 6 Music Prom from the Royal Albert Hall, simulcast on 3 and 6 Music, and featuring a concert by the London Sinfonietta with The Stranglers and Cerys Matthews. To be honest it didn’t work for me.

Much better was last week’s prom concert that featured works by Philip Glass and Frank Zappa. Unfortunately, it looks like it has just slipped off the time limit for “Listen Again”.

In moments of weakness in the shack I have taken to surfing into web radio station “Mansize Radio” - http://www.mansizeradio.com

Classic FM - bobbins. Mozart Clarinet Concerto - adverts - 1812 Overture - adverts - Blue Danube - adverts - Mozart Clarinet Concerto - adverts - 1812…

You get the picture. It has to be Radio 3 for serious music.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

“Funnily enough I have been listening to Radio 3 this week. Last night was the BBC 6 Music Prom from the Royal Albert Hall, simulcast on 3 and 6 Music, and featuring a concert by the London Sinfonietta with The Stranglers and Cerys Matthews. To be honest it didn’t work for me.”

Nor me!

I used the iplayer several times this week to enjoy a terrific performance of Shostakovich’s Symphony No 11 that was televised last Sunday. Dam’ that man could orchestrate!

Brian G8ADD

PS I used to play the Mozart clarinet concerto as an exercise, that spoiled it for me but I can still enjoy the clarinet quintet!

In reply to G7ADF:

Now look what you’ve done, Ian!

Brian G8ADD

Where’s the moderator when you need him?

In reply to M1EYP:

On holiday!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

Lol,

I do like to listen to Radio 5 Live normally, but not when my hometown football team are getting beaten by Manchester United. Test Match Special would have been on but cant get long wave in the car and no DAB either.

I guess music choice is all about mood and its probably wise that I do most of my activating solo when I’m in the mood for a good set of singalong tunes :slight_smile:

I have pretty eclectic tastes and can just burn a disc containing Iron Maiden, Frank Sinatra and The Proclaimers. Although I do like something that tells a story hence I tend to be prog rock biased for longer journeys.

You’ll all have to wait for the next installment of pre-activation entertainment. Hopefully not too long though :slight_smile:

Ian
G7ADF

In reply to G7ADF:
Nice to work you today Ian. Lovely summit Gyrn Moelfre. Bit of a steep but fairly short slog though.

Gerald
MW0WML

PS not adding to the music debate… I’m a radio 4 man.

In reply to MW0WML:

Now thats a different kettle of fish altogether. Mornington Crescent Anyone?

Good to work you too Gerald, was a bonus summit to summit rounding off a pleasant afternoon.

Ian

G7ADF

In reply to G7ADF:

In reply to MW0WML:

Now thats a different kettle of fish altogether. Mornington Crescent
Anyone?

Gerald might even be a neighbour of Mrs Trellis :o)

Adrian
G4AZS

In reply to G4AZS:
She’s my Aunty Dot… (to panel games)…

By the way my move… Colliers Wood, plus use of my shunting card.

(think this thread could now get messy and a moderator may even step in for “off topic” at some stage)

Gerald
MW0WML

Ah, you are revealing your lack of knowledge of the original games of SOTA Mornington Crescent, which raised a few eyebrows on here, and got banned from Summitsbase!

There were some clever moves IIRC, like Heath Mynd Terminal 1 WB-007, Kings Cross Fell NP-001 and of course Moel Cynghorion Crescent NW-030 which won one particularly epic game.

Anyway, I’ll quit this now before the moderator loses his patience!

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:
Ah, I am such a new upstart to this SOTA lark!

For any “overseas” SOTAists reading this…

An example of why people from most countries think the British are a bit mad… they could be right.

Gerald
MW0WML

In reply to M1EYP:

Ah, you are revealing your lack of knowledge of the original games of
SOTA Mornington Crescent, which raised a few eyebrows on here, and got
banned from Summitsbase!

There were some clever moves IIRC, like Heath Mynd Terminal 1 WB-007,
Kings Cross Fell NP-001 and of course Moel Cynghorion Crescent NW-030
which won one particularly epic game.

Anyway, I’ll quit this now before the moderator loses his patience!

Tom M1EYP

I have to rule that the SOTA Variants are a valid pastime for weatherbound activators but will ban anybody who deliberately steers the game into the Nidd three times running (but will be lenient if it happens walking!)

The Moderator.

In reply to MW0WML:

In reply to G4AZS:
She’s my Aunty Dot… (to panel games)…

Groan :o)

For any “overseas” SOTAists reading this…
Mornington Crescent (game) - Wikipedia

There is the international version, Mornington Croissant…

Adrian
G4AZS

In reply to G4AZS:

And an Australian Rules version…which turns the game upside down.

Brian G8ADD