178 down, 4 to go

Black Sail is certainly a hostel worth experiencing. The group I went walking with last year spent one night there. We approached it from Seatoller Farm over Windy Gap on the hottest day of the holiday. We arrived on a warm dry sunny evening, and there was just enough of a breeze blowing to keep the midges at bay. The evening meal was excellent, too. The following morning we set off in rather more normal (cool, windy, and distinctly damp) lakeland weather…

73, Rick M0LEP

Hi Brian,

I am thinking of staying at Ennerdale Youth Hostel to walk up both Pillar G/LD-006 and High Stile G/LD-012. Is it possible start the walk at Ennerdale Youth Hostel and walk up both Pillar G/LD-006 and High Stile G/LD-012 and return to Ennerdale Youth Hostel in the same day?

Jimmy 2E0EYP

Eek. I don’t like the sound of this…

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

Eek. I don’t like the sound of this…

Yeah… There’s Ennerdale between them. Up to one, down again, up to the other, and back down. Well, there’s a fair walk round the top end of Ennerdale that might reduce the ups and downs a bit. Might be fun to try… ducks for cover :wink:

73 and good luck!

In reply to M0LEP:
Tom,

If you didn’t like the ridge on Low Fell you are going to have fun !

http://www.flickr.com/photos/18897403@N00/6298396830/in/pool-1285813@N21/

Here is Another view of Pillar

IMG_1310 - Pillar viewed from summit of Haystacks | cumbrianriders (M6EPW & 2E0XSD) | Flickr

Liz

In reply to 2E0EYP:

Hi Brian,

I thinking of staying at Ennerdale Youth Hostel to walk up both Pillar
G/LD-006 and High Stile G/LD-012. Is it possible start the walk at
Ennerdale Youth Hostel and walk up both Pillar G/LD-006 and High Stile
G/LD-012 and return to Ennerdale Youth Hostel in the same day?

Jimmy 2E0EYP

It depends on how strong a walker you are: LD-006 and LD-012 are on opposite sides of Ennerdale. From the vicinity of the YH a fair track ascends to Red Pike with an easy ridge walk to High Stile. There is a track from the other side of the river to Pillar but be aware that it is used by climbers and goes through some “interesting” terrain. A good track starts at the bridge near the lake and goes up Tewit How to the col between Haycock and Steeple, a ridge walk over Steeple to Pillar is not too difficult, and adds a Wainright. The only half-way sensible way of doing the two summits in one and avoiding difficult terrain is the Skyline: Red Pike - High Stile - High Crag - Hay Stacks - Brandreth - Green Gable - Great Gable - Kirkfell - Pillar. This can be eased by taking the traversing path that passes below the summits of Brandreth and the Gables to Kirkfell, but is still a major undertaking.

Brian GQ8ADD

I am thinking more along these lines:

Ennerdale - Black Sail - Pillar - Black Sail - High Stile - Black Sail - Ennerdale.

It will take longer, and will require careful planning (re accommodation), but will afford some time to bag some of the very nearby Wainwrights as well.

Tom MQ1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

That’s doable, Tom, a long day with over ten miles of walking plus the climbs, but how about Ennerdale - High Stile - the ridge walk to Scarth Gap Pass and Black Sail - Pillar - Black Sail, saving a mile or two?

Brian GQ8ADD

I was also thinking of having a shower, an evening meal and a sleep every time I get to Black Sail Hut on my suggested route!

Tom MQ1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:
I would love to be a fly on the wall whilst you discuss that with Jimmy, who wants to do it all in one day! :slight_smile:

Brian GQ8ADD

In reply to M1EYP:

I was also thinking of having a shower, an evening meal and a sleep every
time I get to Black Sail Hut

That’s what I was thinking too. No point rushing about when you can have a few days away.

In reply to G8ADD:

I would love to be a fly on the wall whilst you discuss that with Jimmy, who
wants to do it all in one day!

Jimmy can do it all in a day activating using M3EYP and then do it all again the next day using 2E0EYP. There’s probably all sorts of S2S and chaser point options beyond my ken as I’ve been relaxing with a Sloe Gin or three.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to M1EYP:

G8ADD “The only half-way sensible way of doing the two summits in one and avoiding difficult terrain is the Skyline: Red Pike - High Stile - High Crag - Hay Stacks - Brandreth - Green Gable - Great Gable - Kirkfell - Pillar. This can be eased by taking the traversing path that passes below the summits of Brandreth and the Gables to Kirkfell, but is still a major undertaking.”

Tom, I see the Ennerdale Skyline is the first route in Trail mag this month - you could still get the sleep and evening meal in your trusty tent on Haystacks (and subject to the wx you might even get the shower as well)!

Karen