15 and 17 Meters

“Donde hay Patrón, no manda marinero” or in English “Where the captain rules, a sailor has no sway” also “What the boss says goes”

Thanks for the 20m QSO. Your signal was great on my yagi today!

Guru

3 Likes

Hey Guru

Have you installed your rotor and the control unit? … and does everything work as it should?

73 Armin

1 Like

Hi Armin,
The rotator is 100% funtional and I have been able to control it remotely, but it’s still in the house. I need to get the chance to get it back installed in the tower. With the health problems I’ve had over the last years, I had to stop climbing up to the tower. A local colleague helped me to take the rotator down a few weeks ago and now that it’s got repaired and the ARS-USB has been connected for remote control, I contacted him to see when he could come to install it back into the tower, but he told me he’s got a low back pain after he carried some too heavy stuff, so I said don’t worry and take your time to recover. I’m now waiting to either his full recovery or given that I’m feeling quite well lately, I may be trying to get back to the tower myself again after so long time. The weather has been a bit rainy and windy lately, which is not the best to be climbing towers…
I hope it will get done in a not too long time.

Guru

3 Likes

In these days, the 15m are better than 20m for DX NA-Europe:

7 Likes

Several activators such as @WB5CTS, @N3HXZ, @WB2FUV, @K5SJC have been spotted on 20m at about 16h utc, but nothing was copied here.
Stephen was wise enough to try 15m at 16h37z.

and he was an easy copy, so he is now in my log and I’m in his.

Please, try 15m, as it’s performing better than 20m for DX with Europe!

[edit]
George @KX0R showed up on 20m but he wasn’t copied here.

So Geo was.

and he was an easy copy too.

15m is the money band for DX NA-EU.

Guru

3 Likes

Guru,
Friday’s activation of W2/GC-025 was a solo bushwack to a new summit and I took only the SW-3B and an end-fed 40/20 inverted vee. Sorry I missed you. Other EU did make my log on 20M CW, including SV2RUJ. When I take the FT-818ND I usually try 18M and sometimes 15M. Looking forward to s2s as the bands improve!
Stay well & 73!
Mike, WB2FUV

3 Likes

On Thursday I had my first ever chase of a North American activator from my home! Mid afternoon on 15m.

1 Like

I’ve been hearing more NCDXF beacons on 17 and 15 the last few weeks.
Today I was chased by JH1MXV on 15. Then I had an S2S with JP3DGT/3, also on 15. His signal improved after we completed the contact. That was exciting!
The number of RBN hits is up dramatically as are the signal strengths.
Bring on that higher MUF!

David N6AN

2 Likes

Hi David,
For info, I tried to hear you on 15m last night. It was nearly midnight here (few minutes before 22h00z) but your signals didn’t reach here.

Guru

1 Like

Hi David, what are the beacon frequencies for the 17m and 15m bands.

73 Geoff vk3sq

1 Like

Hi all,
Propagation, like gold, is where you find it. XYL Kay, KE7BGM, was about to get skunked on 40M, late afternoon on a 10K’ 10-pointer in AZ. Went to 15 meters, and worked ZL, France, and Guam in a few minutes.

73, Ken

1 Like

And it’s currently on 15m. Let’s see for how long.

2 Likes

Geoff,

18.110 and 21.150 MHz. Check out the link: International Beacon Project Transmission Schedule

73, David N6AN

4 Likes

Thanks for trying, Guru. The way things are improving I think we will have a QSO soon.

73, David N6AN

1 Like

I’ve been feeling great lately and I decided to climb to the tower yesterday to give it a try and connect the repaired coax to the 2m band vertical antenna at the top. Given that everything went so well yesterday, I decided to climb again today and install the rotator, as well as retiring an old cable, lifting another cable and rearranging a bit some other cables + holding them all together and attached to the tower.

The rotator is not yet electrically connected so it won’t rotate yet, as there are some further works that I need to do before trying t rotate the yagi. After several years not being able to climb up there and take care of things, a lot of pending work has been cumulating. Some is done now, but it’s not finished yet.

I feel very happy for having been able to climb and do the works I’ve done yesterday and today.

Guru

9 Likes

Hi Guru, well done in what you achieved so far with work on your antenna etc. Fantastic to hear that you were feeling great also. :smiley: :beers:

cheers, Geoff vk3sq

2 Likes

Hi David, thanks for those frequencies and that link. Very helpful. :smiley:

Cheers, Geoff vk3sq

1 Like

Guru,
Glad to hear that you’re feeling well enough to do some tower work.
Love that combination VHF antenna / sacrificial lightning air terminal on top.

Best, Ken

2 Likes

I activated W5N/SE-040 today. Went to 17m at 1800z and only made 7 contacts. I called CQ for a long time hoping for DX. None on 17m. Went 15m at about 1746z calling CQ a long time and only made 1 contact here in the states. Bummer …While I was on 20m I did make 3 DX contactS though. F4WBN, SA4BLM and HB9BHU. Thanks for those. It made my day.
Tnx es 73’s
Tim - K5DEZ

2 Likes

Hi all,

After worked Eric @VA2EO VE2/QC-071 on 12m CW at 15:13Z with my windom FD4 antenna (don’t laugh :rofl: please) and at 16:19Z with the same antenna on 17m, I can confirm the higher bands are quite good, 17m is one ideal band for little antennas to work NA! Please it is the opinion of a small gun and change your habits :wink:

73 Éric

4 Likes