12v NiMh battery packs

I was doing a search for some 12v 14ah SLABs and came across these:-

http://www.atsipowermanagement.co.uk/avbatteries.html
&
http://www.atsipowermanagement.co.uk/lynx.html

I couldnt find a price, but quite expensive I would imagine, as you need the charger to go with it. Only 1.7 kg though compared to 4.1Kg for a SLA equivalent.

I might send them an E-mail, just to enquire!

Jonathan
M6HBS

In reply to M6HBS:

The integral advanced electronics guarantees that it will always deliver
maximum output up to the point of total discharge.

So it’s got an inbuilt buck/boost inverter. RF quiet? Purchasers should check first as a few of the LiPo packs with built in inverters have rendered HF operations impossible due to switching noise.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:
Hmmm…I guessing they would be RF quiet if they are used to power such things as aircraft Transponders & Radio.

Jonathan
M6HBS

In reply to M6HBS:

Well based on the price list the battery will be in the £550 range plus another £609 for a charger. £1100 for 12V NiMH pack… some is taking the micheal.

You can hire some sherpas for that kind of money and then you don’t care about how much it weighs!

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:
I couldn’t find the price list, but if thats the cost then I think I’ll stick to a SLAB and a couple of extra pounds (both in weight and in my pocket)

Jonathan
M6HBS

In reply to M6HBS:
Do you really require 14Ah for SOTA-operation ?
I use a Li-ion-Akku (Batteryspace.com), 7.4 Ah/0.5 kg) with a IC-703/10 W, wire-vertical and a fishing-rod as mast. Total wheight : 3.5 kg.
The price of the battery is approx. 140 $, incl. charger, unfortunatly the shipping cost are rather high. I have 2,in use since 3 years, and no problem at all.
This information may be helpful.

Edwin
HB9ZAP

In reply to HB9ZAP:
Hi Edwin
Many thanks for your reply. The battery/ies I get will double up for other non-SOTA use. For instance, I enjoy going on the summit of one of my non-SOTA hills and just spending a few hours up their on the radio. Also, it would be ideal for /p operation in say, the UKAC comps. I do already have a 3.2ah SLAB, which would probably suffice for a quick activation. As stated on one of my other posts, most of my SOTA activations are likely to be 1 or 2pointers, so I’m not too concerned about the weight issues for now. Cost is more of an issue!
Looking at weights for SLABs there appears to be next to no difference between a 12ah & a 14ah one.

Jonathan
M6HBS

In reply to M6HBS:

Be wary of manufaturer’s spec sheets and advertising claims. There may be little to no difference in the weights between 12 and 14Ah SLABs because there is little to no difference in the batteries themselves. Just somebody using a little poetic license with the performance figures!

Andy
MM0FMF

SLAB’s are ok. If you want a cheap supplier try your local “alarm and security” whole saler. I use a company in Hull who supply to trade. A trypical 7Ah Slab is around £9 +VAT

They also sell “matched cells” at a significantly inflated price. Been the nosey type I asked how they match them… Apparantly, all the SLAB’s are thrown onto an analyser charger and the ones that show a capacity figure similar to another get bundled together and sold as matcherd…

Not used SLAB’s recently as I purchased a couple of 4 cell 5Ah li-po’s from hong kong via e-Bay, price £18 each. Very light and mega power

Can now run QRO long time - not many dollar!

Tim
G4YTD

i have just picked up a 20Ah 12V Deep Cycle Lead Acid Battery just like a golf trolley battery and was just over £43 inc VAT from our local battery dealer

Matt M3WDS

In reply to M3WDS:
Hi Matt et all
I think what I`ll do is get a few different sizes. I have already got a 3.2ah, which was from a skip and was brand new, so will nip over to my local Battery Shop and just get a 7 or 9ah for now, which should keep me going for a couple of hours or so.

Jonathan
M6HBS