12-08-20: The 2020 Perseids 144MHz Meteorscatter s2s event

Sounds llike a really unpleasant night. Will be qrv in a minute.

Worst storm in living memory apparently.

We were watching that stormā€™s lightning show from our hillside vantage at the southern edge of the Cotswolds. It was quite impressive!

Iā€™ve never seen anything like it before. There wasnā€™t much thunder as distinctive thunder claps just a continuous rumbling noise some way off. The lightning was almost continuous with just a second or two between the flashes. I was sat in the garden with a bottle of Tequila watching the display above.

We had two thunderstorms seperated by about four hours, the first one we were on the edge of, vigorous, spectacular but harmless to us, it continued to develop and spread and from the radar images Iā€™m sure its the one that visited Tom. The second one had passed its peak but it gave us a drenching (the garden was gratefull!)

Iā€™ve experienced a few thunderstorms while camping. All you can do is lie there feeling exposed and helpless and hope for the best!

If you are going to be nuked by lightning, it at least ought to be your best malt!

1 Like

And its all happening again! Small thunderstorms bubbling up all around, distant rumbles of thunder, my antennas are all pulled and the rigs isolated, hold on tight for another wild ride!

Itā€™s surprisingly nice neat with some ice. I was only quaffing a Reposado Tequila, nothing super ā€˜especialā€™. It reminded me of a pure grain whisky in some respects.

This where you should look Brian:
Real Time Lightning Map :: LightningMaps.org;

I use the met office observations map because I can toggle between rainfall and lightning, plus various other options:UK weather map - Met Office but I have put your site into ā€œfavouritesā€ as it might be usefull.

1 Like

Lightningmaps was my essential ā€œpeakā€ time viewing from around midnight through to 3am local. I would see (unmissable) the lightning flash from inside my tent, then within a second, itā€™s exact location would appear on the website map on my phone screen. I watched as the intense concentration of lightning strikes slowly edged East and North from Shropshire and Stoke-on-Trent. I figured I had time to abandon the MS S2S attempt, disconnect the antenna and lie it on the ground, disconnect the rig from the feeder cable (using some dry fabric between my fingers and connectors!) and arrange the inside of my tent so that I was insulated from the ground by as many dry, non-conducting layers as possible (FWIW - every little helpsā€¦!). I didnā€™t have time to break camp and get off the hill.

I cracked open a can of Brewdog Dead Pony Club ale for a little calming refreshment! The eye of the storm appeared to home in on the summit of Shining Tor - where I was - according to lightningmaps. Then it appeared to stay put, rather than continue to edge slowly eastwards. At this point, there were frequent blinding flashes, seemingly at ground level, and seemingly not far outside my tent! This was in addition to the >1 per second lightning flashes continuing overhead. Earlier, there had been little or no noise from thunder (many reports of the ā€œsilent lightningā€ have circulated today), but by this point there were frequent huge explosion-sounding bangs. It was as though I was in the middle of a bombing raid or warzone.

With the Brewdog ale all consumed at the height of the storm around 0130 BST, I now had no option but to resort to phoning my XYL. Marianne would normally be furious to have been disturbed at this late hour, but I knew she had been up unusually late stormwatching anyway. Anyway, she chatted calmly with me for about half-an-hour, which I really appreciated, except for all the times she burst out laughing hearing my terrified reaction to the latest flash or bang.

At this point, I must place on record that I had monitored the forecast for Shining Tor on the Met Office website frequently throughout the preceding day. I am confident that I have become good at interpreting the Met Office forecasts over the years, and it did look very much like a summit campover was going to be safe. But there you go.

After the call with Marianne, the rain started to come down, more and more heavily. Unlike storms Iā€™ve experienced throughout my life though, this did not coincide with a decrease in the frequency of thunder and lightning - well not for over half-an-hour anyway. Eventually, after 2am, the frequency of the flashes and bangs did start to slowly decrease, and at last, the lightningmaps started to look a little less congested between Macclesfield and Buxton!

I kept watch on this until about 3am, by which it was just heavy rain, and no more sound and light show! All the activity on lightningmaps was now clear of the Peak District and over in South and East Yorkshire. I felt able to drift off to sleep, and I got a decent three hours in.

As for the activationsā€¦

Tuesday 11th August 2020

2m FM: 4 QSOs
70cm FM: 22 QSOs
70cm SSB: 77 QSOs
70cm CW: 1 QSO

Total: 104 QSOs - DXCCs: G, GW, GI, GD, GM, PA

Wednesday 12th August 2020:

2m MSK144: 2 QSOs (MS sked with DP9X on DM/NS-008 was not successful - but I did RX for SWL section)
2m FM: 35 QSOs.

Total 37 QSOs.

Plenty of non-contest QSOs over the two activations, so VHF-UHF is alive and well - even if my nerves arenā€™tā€¦

4 Likes

The latest updates on http://tomread.co.uk include the full reports of this (ultimately foiled from my perspective) event. Thereā€™s not a great deal of extra detail to what is already written above, but there are several photos of the evening on the webpages.

Tuesday 11th August 2020

The Cloud G/SP-015 - The Cloud SP-015
Gun G/SP-013 - Gun SP-013
Shining Tor G/SP-004 - Shining Tor SP-004

Wednesday 12th August 2020

Shining Tor G/SP-004 - http://tomread.co.uk/shining.

Thursday 13th August 2020

The next updates will include a few new uniques in GW/MW.

Please sign the guestbook!

1 Like

This reminds me that IOU an activation report, Tom. Sorry, there were so many other important things to do. But itā€™s not forgotten.

Ahoi
Pom

1 Like