10m usb?

although conditions for this band may be poor I was considering trying an activity on it?

I have converted an 11m vertical to be resonant on 28mhz to 29mhz and its light to carry?

any constructive comments most welcome.

Cheers

Tony

In reply to M6ADL:

I would suggest waiting until the sporadic E (Es) season starts up in late April, when a couple of watts of power during frequent openings will get you all of Europe and perhaps North Africa and North America. If you’ve worked 6 metres in an opening, ten is even better. Until the Es season starts the most you are likely to hear is a few nets on FM. And freebanders, of course - in fact they can be useful, if you hear them talking in Russian the band is open!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:
Cheers for that Brian, what we are trying to avoid is taking an ATU up with us for HF?

I have put an alert on stating 10M TX just experimental.

It will also be good to use 144 ssb aswell, since we are taking the 897 on its first trip.

I think I will give it a go and see what the band and conditions give me.

Thanks again

Tony

In reply to M6ADL:
Tony, I see you have alerted for the narrow band modes segment, its worth noting that unless they’ve changed it recently the QRP calling frequency on SSB is 28.360 and most SSB activity is 28.400 to a little above 28.500.

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

Thanks for that Brian, yes you are right I have just checked the latest RSGB Band plan and it confirms it.

I may alter the 10M activity before we go up so watch this space??

I’m still learning and my experimental brain doesn’t always match and very rarely does it work. Hi Hi.

Tony

In reply to M6ADL:
Tony - why not just build a linked dipole (the construction details have already been flogged to death on this reflector). I have 2 - for winter my dipole has 80/60/40/20/17/10m capability & my summer one just has 40/20/17/10m. Plenty of bands to try & little weight (no tuner req). 10m can be great in the summer with sporadic E - but dont forget theres openings in winter as well. I `ve also worked TEP paths to South America.

In reply to G1INK:

Thanks Steve, I will find the reflector forum for the linked dipole and check it out I love building antennas.

I have decided to take my Vertical and a Slinky Dipole I have constructed, along with my Auto ATU. seen as I have other people coming with me including XYL to carry for me.

I think as advised I will leave 10M till better weather, and will be trying 40M & 20M instead. plus 2M SSB, I will only go to 145 FM if not enough contacts for activation.

Thanks to all for your comments

Tony

In reply to G8ADD:

Hi Brian

Wouldn’t it be fair to say that whilst 28.360 is the QRP
calling frequency, it’s way outside the normal activity
area. Most stations I hear call on 28.500 and QSY to a
frequency in the '400s or early '500s as you mention.
I would have thought that most people will also be
listening on 28.500.

Kind regards

Dave

In reply to M6ADL:

I think as advised I will leave 10M till better weather, and will be
trying 40M & 20M instead. plus 2M SSB, I will only go to 145 FM if
not enough contacts for activation.

I check usually also frequencies above 14 MHz during my activations too see if the bands above are open. So far only SOTA QSOs on 17 m band but not higher. With the T1 ATU the antenna tuning takes less than a minute, so it is easy to hop from one band to an other. In portable operation I do not care too much about optimizing the antenna. I think the propagation conditions and QRM are more important factors.

73, Jaakko OH7BF/F5VGL

In reply to G0ELJ:
Sorry, Dave, been nose to the grindstone today!

Yes, you are perfectly right, plus it is worth checking the FM channels, I rarely hear anything on them here but I gather they get a lot of use in some parts of the country.

Brian G8ADD (watching snow and sleet thro’ the window!)

In reply to G8ADD:

Hi Brian,

I’m really looking forward to 10 coming into its own again. It
will transform DX contacts on SOTA with very low power levels
and compact antennas, and I shall have to sort out my old LCL
2740 again. I remember using this with about 15 watts and a 2
foot converted CB whip, and having solid mobile contacts with
the States and India. Also Japan with 4 watts on an indoor
antenna!! Happy days to come. I saw the sleet too, but thankfully
its gone now.

Dave

10 Metres is certainly fun when it’s open, but even when it’s flat there is still some activity in certain areas. I doubt that an un-spotted CQ would bring many chasers though.

I knew I had worked a summit on 10M, & a quick check through my logbook revealed that I worked G1INK/P on NP-006 on 8th June last year. If my memory serves me right I think Steve had tried a few of the higher HF bands, but 10 was definitely the one that worked best for me. I don’t know how many others he worked on 10 that day but I was certainly glad to give my Antron 99 a bit of an airing :wink:

73 Mark