10M today

Good old Es and how strange it can get :grin:

Watching out for Stephen on 10m :confused:

Seen reports from M0BKV in North Cornwall picking up and working nicely
Yet can no hear him in SE Cornwall about 50 miles south east of said gent :sleeping:

BUT 15 minutes later,s he,s appeared for few minutes and managed to work and he’s gone again with QSB. :smiley:

Go’s to prove one thing waiting is the name of the game.
I waited and result :open_mouth:

Karl

Ten is often wiped out here by wide band noise, but there was a terrific six metre opening started during the afternoon and peaking late last night, still going strong at midnight (including transatlantic contacts at that time though I didn’t get any :cry:) and it is still going now but mainly to the east.

Brian

1 Like

Nothing from Steve in Leeds, can hear the chasers though. Need to get back to my brewing, just mashing a stout :smile:

73 Mick M0MDA

1 Like

Am quite lucky here with the noise levels on 10m
Its me quietest band but good to catch another SOTA on 10m on Es

Karl

Steve just popped up out of the noise here, just long enough to work him :smile: Can’t help chuckling at how appropriate the summit name is!

Brian

2 Likes

managed to get OK2PDT, Jan this morning from here in Chester. But sigs were wavering somewhat.
Les g0nmd

Interesting its happening again :grinning:

M0BKV reports heard and worked S57MS/p on 28410 :hushed:
Can’t hear him :cry:

But 15 minutes later,s he is starting to appear to me now
Propagation not being so kind at moment :frowning:

Karl

Interesting were actually :house: 21.6 miles apart :house:

Steve DL/G1INK/P on his second summit :smile:

http://youtu.be/IQwG_IPHc5I

thanks for the Vid

just worked him funny enough :smile:
Karl

Well 10m is proving fruitfull today :stuck_out_tongue:

Twice with DL/G1INK/p :smile:
just now with EB2GKK/p EA2/VI-038 28465 :grinning:

Shame could not get back to S57MS/p :sleepy:

Karl

There are Spanish broadcast stations breaking through on the FM broadcast band at the moment (88 - 108 MHz).

Walt (G3NYY)

Funny you should say that.
Before long even that will be come thing of the past as things slowly go digital. I remember days of chasing TV DX on me telly on UHF best test card I ever came across was an Japanese one. Always picked up the locals such as German Polish Dutch and French TV stations. Have heard one country in Europe there FM band you mention is going totally digital and the FM band will be come quiet no more DX on there.

Yet Sota relies on propagation thankfully and ham radio may become the only mode of communication that still uses the ionosphere and if that ever stops well it ain’t ham radio any more.

Just love being an ionosphere jockey in its many forms.

Karl

Your location can be critical with ES - I have noticed on 2m or 6m people within a few hundred meters of me hear / work different stations to those I hear (or I can’t hear anyone).

Stewart G0LGS

1 Like

Stewart thanks for that comment :grinning:

Certainly seems that way with hit and miss for sure and again makes it more fun.

Also would have thought vert or hoz antenna might make difference too. Looking at knocking up a 8m vert from F/G pole with 9:1 Unun and counter poise at same length with view of home and portable use’s.

Karl

Karl

If you have ever watched Star Trek or Star Gate - think of 6m E’s propagation as a worm hole with a specific start and finish. If you are not within the event horizon of either end of the worm hole you will not hear anything. I know it is a bit sci-fi sad but its a good analogy.

73 Glyn

1 Like

Several years ago on six I worked an Italian station that was testing a beam with a tilt motor, he tried it out with me and we found that it made a big difference, being a few S-points stronger when tilted up by about 30 degrees. This was not an artifact of QSB, we tried it several times and you could watch the S-meter moving as he operated the tilt.

I have both horizontal and vertical polarisation available here. Occasionally vertical gives a stronger signal than horizontal but usually horizontal is best. As the vertical is also noisier I tend not to use it.

Brian

1 Like

My personal way of visualizing the various “layers” of the Ionosphere is not to see them as “layers” but as very thin, and very wide clouds. A simple way to do this is to imagine a Laser light show at a rock concert. When the Laser sweeps horizontally, wherever the “smoke” is more visible equates to a heavily Ionized cloud “layer”, & where there are gaps or holes, these equate to where there is little Ionization.

To visualize the D, E, & F Layers purely as “Layers” may lead to the misconception that they give constant propagation characteristics over a wide area, when in fact, as Stewart G0LGS mentioned earlier, a few hundred Metres difference in location can make a huge difference at VHF. The same difference in propagation can also be experienced at HF, although the distances between different experiences tend to be larger.

This effect is felt more with E layer propagation as it is nearer to the ground (hence covering shorter distance in a single “hop”) & more short lived than the often sustained & widespread openings via F2 at Solar Maximum.

It’s all good fun though :smile:

Thanks & 73,

Mark G0VOF

1 Like

I think relatively small scale (mesoscale) curvature comes into it as well, imagine the wave clouds either singly or stacked above a mountain or thunder cloud (cunim) and then imagine these curved flows propagating up into the E layer. The curvature of the reflecting surfaces could concentrate or disperse radio waves depending on the geometry. With a curved reflector small movements at the reflecting surface can lead to large and rapid changes in the direction that the waves travel.

Brian

Thank you folks rather interesting views on how Es works :smiley:

karl