100 activations in HB9 for HB9DIZ – celebrated today on summit Moléson, HB/FR-019, in western Switzerland

Dear all

Less than 50 % of my actual 224 activations are Swiss summits, what is not typical for our domestic HB9 community. I had seen some days ago on my SOTLAS page that the pie chart showed 99 activations in HB9 for me, so where to go for #100? I’ve remembered then Jürg, HB9BIN, activating last weekend on Moléson, about half way between Berne and Lake Geneva. Jürg had logged 102 QSOs, what was an incredible figure for me as an «SSB/FM only» activator.

So why not do Moléson? I’d already been there, more than ten years ago, in pre-SOTA times. Moléson is a nice summit, just slightly over 2,000 meters high, so something real. It’s one of these summits in the first row of the Alps, so promising good connections in all directions. And it’s an easy one since there is a cable car to the summit with a restaurant and an ascent of some meters only, taking you about 7 to 10 minutes.

But one thing was a bit nasty: the journey from Lucerne to Moléson took me 4 hours one way and I had to change 7 times between several types of trains, buses, funiculars and cable cars. IT always finds a way to the summit, hi! So I recommend to take your car and to use the big car park at the bottom station of the funicular at Moléson-sur-Gruyères. The summit is a good one for the summer period since they don’t/can’t clear the summit trail during winter.

The summits and frequencies were very busy today. The temperatures of around 30 °C had driven the SOTA friends onto the hills. Lots of interesting S2S contacts, good signals on 10 m and finally a chaser again from the other side of the pond. Thanks to N4EX! I was busy for about 2 ½ hours.

A special guest was an electro engineer, hiking there with friends, professor at the University of Applied Sciences of Rapperswil. He was very interested in my equipment and was impressed to see the tiny KX2, the simple EFHW wire antenna and the well visible fishing pole. He took a picture of my SOTA badge to show my callsign to some fellows. They promote amateur radio among their institute to gain practice. To his further surprise, I knew a former neighbor of his friends, HB9TP sk, of Balsthal.

My «#100 special» resulted in 76 SSB contacts – never had by far that much before! A special thanks to you all, chasers and S2S counterparties, including a very special thanks to Jan in Chemnitz, DGØJBA. We know each other for many many years and it was great to hear your voice today to be a part of DIZ-#100!

Vy 73 de Markus, HB9DIZ

6 Likes

Good morning Markus

Our big congratulations for your impressing achievment of 100 summits so early in the year :grin::grin::+1::+1: How long you were QRV? 76 QSO’s are really great :smiley::smiley:
Today the WX should be perfect once again, and so Maybe you will activate summit #101 :sweat_smile:

BTW: In the wintertime the Moléson is a beautiful “snowshoe-summit” :sunglasses::sunglasses:

We are Looking forward to our next S2S’s - enjoy your achievment :sunglasses::sunglasses:

vy 73 de René, HB9NBG + 73/88 de Carine, HB9FZC

4 Likes

Well done Markus what a great achievement and some lovely scenery.
Pleased to have worked you on HB/FR-019 for your 100th in Switzerland .
Hopefully see you on the next.
73 Don G0RQL.

1 Like

Hi René

Thanks for your addendum from a winter perspective. I was on the summit for 2 ½ hours.

SOTLAS sums up the all time number of activations on HB9 summits, so the 100 activations are not from 2019 only. The number of summits in 2019 – not only HB9 – can be retrieved from the SOTA database: 82 - so I’ve been quite busy regarding my hiking proficiency level which is not to be compared with yours, hi.

The holiday periods are over for us, so it’s the time now for remembering the beautiful souvenirs in my mind.

Vy 73 de Markus, HB9DIZ