"Zugspitze" a great SOTA summit & 2m SSB HTs

I think the SSB calling frequency was 145.45, from whence I made contacts into europe, so I don’t think it was peculiar to the UK - probably not just a RSGB decision to change everything, either. I remember being slightly miffed at having to purchase a new crystal for my transverter :smile:

I never know whether people who use this phraseology mean 25 or 12.5 kHz channels.the 12.5kHz “intermediate“ channels are less used than the 25 spacing. I stick to frequency now.

Boy have we gone OT! Sorry Christos

Exactly. A context free grammar is required.

Good man. Much easier to say 400 or 550.

Hi Andy, Hi Brian,
I would interpret “2-up” as 2 KHz up, not 2 (undefined) channels up - and in FM 2KHz would still be in the Rx passband, so no need to move, just stay on frequency …

:scream:

Spoken like a true HF man!:wink:

It may be just a local habit but around here the guys have their FM channels set to 12.5 kHz and “two up” is shorthand for “two channels up”. If I was on 20 metres rather than two metres then “two up” would be two kHz up, as you say.

Interesting that - I was originally very much a VHF/UHF operator - but it is what you get used to.
Back when I was using VHF I think we would have given a new exact frequency on FM (or one of those S number thingies). On 2m SSB I think we could have used how many KHz up or down - so it’s more a mode thing than a band thing. On 2m SSB 2 up would mean 2 KHz up, although “10 up” or “20 up” would be more likely.

Ed.

Christos,

beside looking up in SOTA database, my fast way to look up any possible summit is entering the summit name added by “sota” and “summits” in Google - this is sufficient in most ways.

Enjoy! (also all things beside expensive cable car fares, hi)

Vy 73 de Markus, HB9DIZ

OK just ask the database…

http://www.sotadata.org.uk/summitReport.aspx

and enter some or all of the name in the box or a reference number. As long as you give enough info you will get a list of ever summit that matches. Click the links in the list for a full breakdown of the summit including its scoring history and a list of all the activators and the band/modes they used and how many QSOs they had.

Enter partial name and click find:

Click first link, (just the first few lines)

I have always referred to 145.525 MHz as S21, and 145.550 MHz as S22.
145.5375 MHz is “S21 and a half” … but nobody ever uses it, so what does it matter?

Walt (G3NYY)

1 Like

Exactly. 2m channelisation was inflicted upon us in the early 1970s by the UK FM Group (London), who were also responsible for the introduction of FM repeaters. It has been a downhill slide ever since.

Walt (G3NYY)

AKA V43 :grin:

True

One definition of “communication” is…
“Two-way process of reaching mutual understanding, in which participants not only exchange (encode-decode) information, news, ideas and feelings but also create and share meaning.

Oh my, Andy - there are situations in one’s life where you need an even faster way for lazy people, hi - simply open your browser and start typing. :mage:

73, DIZ

1 Like

It seems that Zugspitze is a database orphan. Its not on the (Summits on the Air) database, and not on the Sotamaps.org database.

Because it’s in DL/WS…

My mistake. Thanks Andrew.

I do wish people would get out of the habit of conflating “database” with “webpage” or “website” or “web-application”. After all, we don’t call automobiles “engines”…

The former (database) is a repository of related information in indexed tables, and always hidden from public view. The web-pages, sites, etc are GUI’s (graphical user interfaces) designed to provide a visualisation of selections of data from the database to the user. In the case of sotamaps, the visualisation is graphical (maps), whereas the SOTA “database” (I shudder to use the word in this context) displays data in tabular form.

And, sotamaps also has a search-on-name feature in the main page - it’s craftily hidden behind the button labelled “Search”, and shows found summits on the map, with the added bonus of only showing valid summits :astonished:

2 Likes

So shoot me, or should I say try.
I do wish some people would get out of the habit of nit picking when they should be could be doing something constructive.

1 Like

I do wish those who go into the mountains armed to the teeth would get out of the habit of imagining that others do the same. Peace, brother…

1 Like

Accepted. Here in the R of SA those who go into the mountains unarmed end up as statistics.
https://businesstech.co.za/news/lifestyle/271997/heres-how-south-africas-crime-rate-compares-to-actual-warzones/
Peace to you too.