My first attempted SOTA activation was of G/TW-001, Urra Moor, Round Hill, in August 2014.
- I wasn’t able to speak to anyone with SOTA experience before the activation;
- I went with a friend, and both wives;
- I was looking forward to a nice walk on the moors, but my friend drove us to within 20 metres of the trig point;
- I had charged my battery before the event, but one of the cells failed during transmit. Luckily I could borrow my mates battery;
- I didn’t know anything about alerting or spotting, so I didn’t do either;
- I was using CW and calling on 40, 30 & 20 metres, but didn’t get any contacts.
I learnt an awful lot on that day, but didn’t do another activation until a year later.
I have carried out many activations since them, all successful apart from one, where a combination of unfortunate circumstances led to a failed activation.
What some may call failures, are really learning opportunities.