YOTA Saturday

YOTA UK is taking place this weekend in Wolverhampton. I am running a presentation and workshop there between 11am and 1pm BST. I wonder if anyone may be tempted to be QRV on 2m FM from The Wrekin G/WB-010 throughout that timeframe, so that delegates could try and work them from the conference?

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:
Sorry I will not be around to give any help as a fixed station as I will be in Crewe tomorrow

73 Graham G4JZF

Sorry if I wasn’t clear Graham. I am enquiring if someone will put a 2m activation on from G/WB-010, so that us at the YOTA Conference in Wolverhampton will be able to work it.

Enjoy Crewe (if such a thing is possible)!

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:
Hello Tom
I would but I’ll be there lurking in the back of the room at what is our club and am looking forward to the talks. My boys Tom M6GGZ and Peter M6EMP are taking part. My activation partner Alastair M0TYM is sending his daughter Sarah [M6HBT IIRC] but am not sure if he’s otherwise engaged. Activators nearby to try include John M0JZH in Wellington and Pete M0COP in Church Stretton. I’ll try and put your appeal on the Telford & DARS reflector this afternoon.

That’ll be with a decent radio and beam against the effects of the commercial transmitter on the summit then ;-D. If there are any other practical things I can do to help then send a PM via my QRZ.COM details.

David M0YDH

Never had any trouble from the transmitter up there, when operating on VHF.

We’re mainly concerned with the portable antenna build activity in that session, but I thought it would be cool to do a bit of live SOTA chasing at some point. So if the was to be a well-equipped station activating The Wrekin on 2m FM at that time, then there would be a good chance of being able to work it from the conference room, perhaps only with a HH+RD.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:
Dunno about the Wrekin as its an awful long way up for one point :wink:
may be able to do a.n.other that may be in range if there’s a break in the forecasted rainy bits
20 odd watts and an elk antenna may be able to get through. .Possibly

In reply to M0HCU:

Why the Wrekin? Walton Hill is closer to Wolverhampton! Its also a quicker escape if the forecast thunderstorms turn up.

Brian G8ADD

Are you offering Brian? Good form if so. To be honest I hadn’t checked on the geography. I just thought “North West of Birmingham” and equated that with The Wrekin.

Anyway, fingers crossed all goes well for the YOTA UK event this weekend. Sadly I won’t be able to stop over and help out with the Sunday activities. I have a gig on Saturday night (some 60s outfit called ‘The Retrobeats’) and having a bit of a do for my 44th on the Sunday. That in mind, I hope the storms come Saturday and get themselves out of the way, so we can fire up the barbie and booze in the back garden on Sunday! Just not while we’re practising setting up antennas though…

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

Sorry, but I won`t be available - much as I would like to! Have a good gig (hey, that gave me another one for the SOTA band - the Reprobates!) and happy birthday.

Brian G8ADD

Many a true word and all that Brian. When the first enquiry came through, my wife Marianne took the message and she actually told me that a band called “The Reprobates” wanted to speak to me!

Tom M1EYP