Yorkshire Three Peaks

Had a very pleasant jaunt around the Y3Ps yesterday. Leading a group of 33 people on a sponsored walk. Ably assisted by several of my Mountain Rescue teammates. Sore feet and aching legs today after roughly 40Km and 1500m of ascent.

Managed to squeeze in qualifications of Pen y Gent G/NP-010, Whernside G/NP-004 and Ingleborough G/NP-005. Just quick 2M FM using a handheld with a 5/8 whip. I was surprised to manage to get 4 contacts on each hill (a couple more on two of them).

Cracking weather, until a thunderstorm hit as we descended from Ingleborough. I was very pleased we had got well off the top before it hit.

I’m the chap in the red t-shirt on the right. Pen y Ghent in the background.

15 Likes

Thanks for the report Gerald, it looks like you guys all had fun!

Please could you tell me which way round you went, what time you left in the morning and how long you took to complete?

We’re doing the three this weekend. We were going to overnight on one of the summits, but we’ve changed that now, so will be doing the lot in one day. I’m not sure if my partner will allow me to play radio, but your positive experience activating them on 2m means I will be sneaking in a handie for sure! :slight_smile:

Thanks & regards,
Simon

Updated: I’ve added a time schedule to get around in 12 hours.

Start in Horton 08:00
Pen y Ghent arrive 09:15 depart 09:30
Ribblehead (meet support group for lunch, water replenish) arrive 12:00 depart 12:30
Whernside arrive 14:30 depart 14:45
Chapel le Dale (meet support group for snacks, water replenish) arrive 16:00 depart 16:15
Ingleborough arrive 17:45 depart 18:00
Horton arrive 20:00

Times are local not UTC.

Good luck!

1 Like

Thanks Gerald,
I will take a 2m handie, but we won’t be hanging around. I think it’ll be an Alpine start to try and finish mid-afternoon, but the weather forecast may influence that.
Will post some pictures and SOTA details here, if I manage to activate any of the summits.
73, Simon

1 Like