Yorkshire Dales NP - suggestions

We will be visiting the Yorkshire Dales National Park this weekend for the first time. Planning to do some hiking and activate some summits if the WX allows. We will be based in Skipton.

Any suggestions for summits would be most welcome.
(Might be a bit busy with the start of the summer school hols…)

Any Intel on which summits are best suitable to VHF would be helpful too.

73 Angel

They’re all good for VHF Angel. They’re all lovely hills too. My favourites close to where you’re staying:

Ingleborough G/NP-005 from Chapel-le-Dale.
Whernside G/NP-004 from Ribblehead Viaduct (circular route)
Sharp Haw G/NP-029

All the details at http://tomread.co.uk

1 Like

As Tom says, some nice hills, not too boggy this time of year,
You will struggle on VHF from Kisdon NP-026.
I recommend the Narrowboat pub in Skipton for good ales

With a handheld, yes. Nice hill though. I managed 12 on 2m SSB.

My personal preference for an NP would be Wild Boar Fell NP-007 for an all round pleasant experience, but that’s somewhat north of Skipton.

Very close to Skipton and an obvious pair are Cracoe Fell and Sharp Haw but my favourite NP is Penyghent from the cattle grid / honesty box car park SD 842 714 and this can easily be combined with Fountains Fell from the same road at another cattle grid SD 853 723 both of these last two are on the Pennine Way. You should get some great views if the wx is kind to you!

GL/73
Nick G4OOE

1 Like

I’m hoping to be up Great Shunner on Saturday middayish (local). Hope to get a S2S with you

Thanks Steve, I’d forgotten about Kisdon which I would only consider activating on HF! And I totally agree with Gerald that NP-007 is the finest of them all, but not really near Skipton.

Whatever you choose, you’ll not be disappointed.

Thank you all for the suggestions on summits & pub! We will be up there from Sat afternoon till Monday afternoon - so enough time to go around and do a few … Assuming the weather holds (will be a bit of a thermal shock after last week 35+ C - summer hot wave in EA5.

I also want to give to 2m ssb a try for the first time…& hope to catch that s2s.

73 Angel

Nine RIgg Standard is an interesting summit for the family and also gives great views towards the LD and NP regions. http://www.visitcumbria.com/evnp/nine-standards/

For a short trip you can park about 3km for the summit on the grass at N54.43333° W2.29629°, or for a longer journey start from Kirkby Stephen.

Hope you have a nice weekend
Graeme