Xmas Quiz 2016 - answers thread

From experience a bucket of water does a decent job Brian. :wink:

A good quiz, anyway. I was expecting something like C 6 4 but no luck!

Skelmersdale 32123 :white_check_mark:

M1EYP: Well done Mark, you’ve completed the quiz! Unfortunately, I was unable to find YouTube footage of these “new town” adverts featuring the unforgettably catchy sang jingles, that meant I never, ever forgot those phone numbers - Warrington 39591 and Skelmersdale 32123!

Yes, how is dear old Eileen? I was trying to think of places in the north-west beginning with S and completely forgot about Skem. Haven’t been there since 1975…

That’s not C 6-4 is it Brian? :wink:

B 55 - Your bass guitar Tom?

Oh I see it was Britvic 55 on reading up the thread. Good job too I thought you might be a Fender man.

M1EYP: Yep, Fender Jazz bass - US 1988.

Since I already am on the board in category 2:
Tom, when you wrote there were 9 remaining, there were 10.
When you wrote there were 6 remaining, there were 7.
One unanswered one (59) had not been highlighted.

M1EYP: Er yeah, partly. Jimmy M0HGY pointed this out to me earlier. The question HAD been answered (by VK2IO) - but I hadn’t indicated this on the quiz sheet. 59 balls in the National Lottery.

Suit 32123 ??? :negative_squared_cross_mark:

Final scores:

1. G0LGS - 58
  2. VK2IO - 37
  3. G8VNW - 28
  4. MW0WML - 17
  5. G0VOF - 15
  6. VK1DA - 9
  7. F5UBH - 4
  8. G4OIG - 3
  9. MM0FMF - 2
  10. M0VED - 2
  11. G0AZS - 2
  12. M1MAJ - 2
  13. VK3AFW - 1

The biggest SOTA Xmas Quiz ever - and still it didn’t last 48 hours. You lot are GOOD!

It might be written that way, depending on what you think “C” is!

I obviously am too young for this one as I haven’t a clue what that answer means.

Skelmersdale 32123???

Google it. It is the same type of answer as Warrington 39591 - a phone number. However, I object to these regional questions, particularly as the world does not revolve around IO83. Perhaps a more universal quiz drawn up by AM’s around the world would be more interesting snd in looking for the snswers, we might learn something more than what Skelmersdale and Warrington have in common. BTW hss anyone met Eileen? :slight_smile:

Perhsps it doesn’t “a chord” with my thinking. :wink:

You’ve got category 3 sewn up there I think Gerald!

Congratulations, and Merry Christmas!

You know me Tom… any opportunity to use my wooden spoon to stir up an idea…

SOTA is now a globsl activity, so why not have a global Christmas quiz? If AMs were invited to put forward some questions that were based on their national background, then it would create a broader quiz and hopefully those participating would be from more countries.

Happy Christmas to you.

73 Gerald G4OIG

2nd place, with a whopping 37 solutions, was a VK. Not global enough for you?

Your proposal is a worthwhile one, and is in actual fact exactly how the last (2014) Xmas Quiz was organised.

As we enter Autumn every year*, some idea or concept comes into my head, and I design a quiz along those lines. Every year*, I get some people expressing how much they enjoyed it and some people expressing how they feel I should have done it differently.

[*every year that I feel inclined to run a Christmas quiz]

If a similar sequence continues, then my next Big SOTA Christmas Quiz will be in 2018. Why not put yourself forward to run the 2017 Christmas Quiz Gerald, and demonstrate how you would prefer to see it? And if it is successful, you can take over from me and organise it every year.

Anybody
Somebody
Everybody
Nobody

1 Like

Hi Tom,

Well I’d like to say thanks, even if somehow you put me last, presumably on the flimsy excuse that I got fewer right answers than everyone else. It got some of us interested in things other than SOTA. A big effort. Help yourself to the port.

Ron
VK3AFW

2 Likes

Cheers Ron, and thank you for your good grace in accepting my transparently biased and entirely subjective way of ranking the participants!

In terms of how “global” or “IO83-biased” the structure of the quiz was, here is a little analysis of the geographical influences behind the 180 questions:

IO83 local knowledge: 6
UK national knowledge: 34
EU continental knowledge: 7
Worldwide / irrelevant to geographical issues: 133

1 Like

Thanks also from me, good fun

73 Andrew VK1DA VK2UH