Xmas day on G/SP-013 Gun

This was more or less a last minute decision and it had to be a short activation due to an Xmas lunch commitment. However, the best laid SOTA plans etc etc.

Let me start by saying, the track to the summit from Merebrook, although a short walk, is a waterlogged lucky dip at the moment. If you’re planning to activate G/SP-013, don’t be tempted to try this walk in trainers.
I wasn’t sure if I would even qualify the summit on a Xmas morning, however, the calls came in quickly and it was qualified on 2m fm in no time at all. After 30 mins, I qsy’d to 40m using about 30 feet of wire tied to the top of collinear and fed into a balun. I wasn’t sure if it would work and struggled at first to hear anything. It was at this point, I noticed the counterpoise wire had become detached from the balun. Once this was fixed GW4ZPL boomed in followed by Don G0RQL.

After 20 minutes I qsy’d to 15m were plenty of the regular chasers called in. At 1055, I couldn’t resist giving 17m a try despite knowing I had to go qrt at 1100. Of course, I then ran into quite a pile-up. Sadly, it was just too early to get the regular Stateside chasers into the log and by now my lunch plans were looking decidedly dodgy.

It was a real wrench to go qrt, as by now I was really enjoying this activation, but alas, the roast turkey beckoned.

Anyhow, 95 stations worked, 25 on VHF and 70 on HF.

Thanks to all the chasers who took the time to call in on Christmas Day.

73 Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:
Nice to work you again yesterday Mike & well done with the make-shift antenna.

I’m sure the roast went down well after the activation!

Jonathan
2E0CTW

In reply to M6HBS:

In reply to 2E0YYY:
Nice to work you again yesterday Mike & well done with the
make-shift antenna.

Thanks for the call Jonathan. I managed to secure the collinear to the small tree about 20m fron the trig point, so didn’t even have to bother with guy lines.

I’m sure the roast went down well after the activation!

Certainly did. BTW, congrats on the new call sign.

73 Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:
Thank you for the QSO on 17m at 11:20 despite your your plan to go QRT at 11:00. Gun was a new one for me so this was kind of a Christmas present.

73 de Michael, DB7MM