WOUXUN KG-699E 4M Handheld Chinese Import

In reply to GW0DSP:
Hi Mike Thats cracked it.Link works fine now.Have you got a 4 meter rig.ATB Geoff.

In reply to G6MZX:

I have ordered the Wouxun KG-699E, just waiting for delivery. 73, Mike

In reply to GW0DSP:
Hi Mike its on my list .Have you got a good price if so from where thanks ATB Geoff.

In reply to G6MZX:

I got mine ÂŁ65.90 for mine on Ebay. 73, Mike.

In reply to GW0DSP:
Hi Mike Thanks will take a look.Atb Geoff.

In reply to G6MZX:

Hi Geoff

I predicted a couple of weeks ago, that with the advent of the cheaper Wouxun KG-699E 4m handheld becoming available, that SOTA 4m activations would increase dramatically in 2009. I think I will be proved right judging by recent posts.
Are we in line for a Wouxun or 4m SOTA activation day soon… Hi!

I look forward to a S to S with you on 4m.

73’s
Ian 2E0EDX

In reply to M3EDX:
Hi Ian The answer is yes I would be up for a 4M Sota day atb Geoff G6MZX

In reply to M3EDX:

Are we in line for a Wouxun or 4m SOTA activation day soon

I know you asked the question partly in jest but there’s no reason why there can’t be, for want of a better description, “oddball frequencies activity day”. Oddball day could feature not only 4m but also 10m, 6m, 23cms. A celebration of the less used frquencies perhaps. Anything that encourages use of our allocations is a good thing.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

Hi Andy

Yes it was a very tongue in cheek remark. An ‘oddball frequencies activity day’, now theres a though! Again why not, I certainly have both 4m & 6m available with antennas etc and therefore would be up for it. As you rightly say, anything that promotes usage of our allocated bands is only a plus, plus situation.
Perhaps a date after the International SOTA weekend has been successfully completed, not wishing to add pressure to the MT or others at this time. Anyway, lets see what interest we have through postings on this thread or start a new thread on this concept at a later date.

73’s
Ian 2E0EDX

Okay, tried out the 4m Wouxun KG-699E today on an activation of The Old Man of Coniston. I used the minipatch purchased from Pete at Garex, excellent build quality and also the Military vertical antenna using three elements out of the four provided as advised and was very pleased with the results.

Worked Mike G4BLH in Briarfield receiving a 57 and giving Mike a 59 (I’m sure Mike will testify that my signal was up from previous activations using the Pye Phillips PMR handheld), then Bob G3VVT in Kendal with 59 both ways,Dave G1CCL in Morecambe again 59 both ways, Brian G4ZRP on the Wirral receiving a 57 and giving Brian a 59 and lastly Dave G6CRV in Heysham again 59 both ways.Five contacts in all…

Now I know distances were not exactly great and I had metal in the air at height being 803m ASL, but compared to previous activations on 4m using the PMR & helical, I was extremly happy with the performance of the Wouxun and military antenna. Remarks from chasers were also complimentary on the audio they received and produced by the handheld and the receive audio was punchy and more in line with more expensive handhelds. Dual frequency receive display on the front was great with VFO ‘A’ on 70.450Mhz and VFO ‘B’ on 70.400Mhz, a simple button press moved between the two with no twidling of the top knob or punching in a frequency or pushing up/down buttons, just set the VFO frequencies you want prior to operation.

So all in all I’m extremley pleased with the radio bought and look forward to future activations using 4m. Hopefully activating both Moel Famau & Foel Fenlli over the next 48 hours where I hope to further test out the equipment.

73’s

Ian 2E0EDX

1 Like

In reply to M3EDX:
Great stuff Ian.
Hopefully I intend to activate NP-031 tomorrow on 4m.
Will try to hang around to work you StoS but it may be a bit tight as I have
an appointment in the afternoon.

Roger G4OWG

In reply to G4OWG:

Roger

This may be of interest:

http://rudius.net/oz2m/70mhz/transverter_.htm

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to M3EDX:

Be listening for you on NW-044&051 tomorrow. No 4m antenna up here (yet) but I will throw it up when I get back from the school run in the morning.

Steve GW7AAV

In reply to G4OWG:

Hi Roger
Apologies. Events at home have overtaken me and will now not be activating tomorrow. I would have liked the S to S towards my 50 certificate. Moel Famau and Foel Fenlli will be activated this coming Saturday, 28th of February.However, I will be out this Tuesday,24th February, summit as yet undecided.
Enjoy your activation tomorrow.

73’s

Ian 2E0EDX

In reply to GW7AAV:

Hi Steve
Apologies. Events at home have overtaken me and will now not be activating tomorrow. Moel Famau and Foel Fenlli will be activated this coming Saturday, 28th of February.However, I will be out this Tuesday,24th February, summit as yet undecided.
Perhaps the Saturday activation will allow you more time to sort out the antenna.

73’s

Ian 2E0EDX

Im tempted to purchase the Wouxun KG-699E 4M handie too.

Im wondering if the AT-4 SMA antenna at the bottom of this link would improve rx/tx at all. And more importantly, would it fit without an adaptor?

http://www.wsplc.com/acatalog/Mizuho_Handheld_Antennas.html

A 4M activation would be something different.

73 Chris 2E0FSR

In reply to M3EDX:

Oh well! I won’t be around Saturday (work) but will be listening Tuesday if you get out.

Steve GW7AAV

In reply to M3EDX:

Thanks for the excellent report Ian on the performance of the Wouxun. Most encouraging. Hopefully you will soon get that treasured (and rare) 4m S2S. I look forward to working you sometime soon.

73, Gerald

P.S. Pleased the lead met with your approval.

In reply to 2E0FSR:

Hi Chris,

I wouldn’t bother with a whip for 4m as they won’t perform particularly well in comparison to a full size antenna. If you must have something to use when out in a gale, then you might consider the Garex offering - see my earlier post under the thread “Ingleborough report 15/02”.

The Wouxun takes an antenna with an SMA socket - the one on the W & S website is described as being the more common SMA plug type.

73, Gerald

In reply to G3CWI:

… this may be of interest

OZ2M

Not a bad price Richard, but still a kit and only 100mW out. Could be one way of giving yourself a sore throat calling CQ on 70.200MHz SSB, unless of course there’s sporadic E or a contest on.

73, Gerald