WOUXUN KG-699E 4M Handheld Chinese Import

Is any SOTA activator using or has knowledge of the WOUXUN KG-699 4m handheld, another of the latest chinese imports operating between 66-88Mhz with approximately 5w output.

I recently made the decision to buy the handheld based on my current PYE Phillips PFX 4m handheld which although in good order, is having battery problems and at £29 to replace a battery, I thought I would replace at a later date. The Wouxun although dearer at just under the £100 incl p&p, will add to my 4m activity and is lighter than the PFX to carry in the rucksack.

If all is well, hopefully it will be available on my next SOTA activation and will ensure that my portable 4m capabilities are enhanced from the summits.

So far all comments on this radio have been relatively good, those read on the 4m forum and I will be looking forward to enquiring about a suitable SMA/BNC adapter, that I may use to put the military portable 4,6 & 10m FM antenna I have in line rather than the supplied stub antenna.

Details can be found at:

Webpage Lose

4m activations are certainly looking up for 2009. Will let all know how I get on.

73’s

Ian 2E0EDX

In reply to M3EDX:

I’m glad you posted that, Ian, I’ve been thinking of looking for something to get me on 4 m!

I haven’t heard of the rig, but Moonraker do an SMA to BNC adapter for £3.95 + £2 P&P. Check out www.moonrakerukltd.com for details.

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

Hi Brian

Well after carrying out some research on this and other 4m handhelds I decided that the WOUXUN was the way to go for 4m activations. Yes you can pick up a secondhand HH on 4m for around £130-150 pounds that is not a chinese import and yes you could buy the ICOM IC90E at around £250 but the price tag of under a £100 for the WOUXUN was extremely appealing for SOTA activation work.

Chinese imports may put some people off, but, they have come a long way since the intial Jing Tongs first graced our shores, I know I have both the 208 & 308, the WeiWei and Puxings have all had favourable reports in recent years, so I would suggest the WOUXUN will be at least to that quality.

Brian please visit the url posted in my initial post and also read the comments in the thread ‘Cheap Chinese handhelds’ in the Equipment folder on the 4m Forum, before you make any decision.

Thanks for the info on the SMA/BNC. I’ve now found that WOUXUN do one for this HH being the SMA .K / BNC .K

73’s

Ian 2E0EDX

In reply to M3EDX:

Hi Ian,

I have also been looking at the KG-699E for 4m as carrying the Ascom adds 1kg to my backpack and I can’t justify carrying it up each and every summit I activate as the 12AH SLAB is required to power it (4kg!). Last month I almost placed an order with Euroradiosales Limited for the rig (£82), soft case (SC-11, £12.50) and spare battery (B-2033, £17.99), but hadn’t quite enough readies to cater for the VAT and Import Duty which could (and most likely would) be charged on entry to the UK. It makes it quite expensive, but I understand the rig has received good reviews amongst those on the 4m Forum. BTW, Euroradiosales offer free p+p. I’m not plugging the company one bit, other than to say that to my mind they seem a more professional outfit than those offering the rig on eBay.

With regards to the SMA to BNC connector, I use a short lead for my Standard C710 handheld as it avoids straining the SMA socket on the rig. I had Peter at Garex make me up a couple and he does a super neat job - much better than I can. Lazy I know, but it was easier as obtaining and fitting SMAs is a fag.

I hope that helps. What we really need is someone to import them and then we would have a guaranteed price structure. Can’t say I am keen on the vagueries of import duty!

73, Gerald

In reply to G4OIG:

I don’t claim to be an expert on this but consulting the TARIC guide I came up with code 8517610000 for a radio like this and the duty rate for an import from Hong Kong was 0%. So you’d only have to pay 15% VAT plus the £8 Parcelforce handling charge.

CAVEAT: I am not a tax expert!

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

Possibly good news Andy - I couldn’t find the import tax figure when I searched for it. I would add that in August 2007 I paid £13.50 to Parcelforce for my FT-817 CW Filter from the USA, so their charge could be more than the £8 you state.

Unfortunately I don’t see MLS or anyone else stocking them as 4m is a minority band.

73, Gerald

In reply to G4OIG:

Hi Gerald

Take your point with regards to the weight carried when activating 4m from the summits using the Ascom + slab etc, hence the interest like me in the Wouxun hh radios etc.

On carrying out my research prior to purchasing the radio, I read reviews/reports on a number of purchasers of such rigs on the 4m forum and none of which mentioned either import tax being paid or indeed the postage. The radio I bought and price paid indeed included p&p. I would think that if what you made mention to, those amatuers would have been very vocal on the forum in respect of monies paid. However, will see what the outcome is on arrival. With regards to the EBAY seller, I’m always dubious, however, I checked feedback and was showing 100% positive, so fingers crossed.

Thanks for the info on the SMA/BNC made up leads from Garex, will possible contact and have some made up for the Wouxun.

73’s

Ian 2E0EDX

In reply to G4OIG:
As far as I can ascertain, radio components are not liable to import duty (however, VAT does apply). The PO handling fee for such items does seem excessive for small items.
I’ve never paid import duty on radios either.
73, Graham G4FUJ

In reply to M3EDX:

From the specs page:

“. Inspection, monitor, stun, kill and emergency alarm”

Does this item double as a phaser?

Dave M0MYA.

In reply to M0MYA:

Hi Dave

I must admit that on reading the spec link and seeing, “Inspection, monitor, stun, kill and emergency alarm”, I also had to laugh, is it the Chinese humour or a military secret they have unwittingly disclosed?

Perhaps our local Constabulary could purchase a few hundred at the price quoted, much cheaper than the Taser and in the current financial climate, we the tax payer would be most greatful!.. Off to write a letter to the Chief Constable…Hi!

73’s

Ian 2E0EDX

For those interested, I will be trying out the Wouxun 4m handheld for the first time tomorrow on Ingleborough. Using 5w output on its helical only as yet to aquire the appropriate SMA/BNC adaptor.
For those than can work me, the opportunity is their to make comment on the audio received etc.
Look forward to working those 4m stations.

73’s

Ian 2E0EDX

In reply to M3EDX:
Hi Ian.I have been considering buying a Wouxun and wondered what you think of it so far.I mentioned it to one of the guys on one of the stalls at the Ossett rally on Sunday and he said forget it they are a load of rubbish.But he wanted to sell me an Icom at about 4 times the price .ATB Geoff G6MZX

In reply to G6MZX:

So no suprise there then Geoff when you found a salesman that only sells brand X telling you that brand Y was junk!

:slight_smile:

Ian, how much did you end up paying for yours?

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to G6MZX:

The Wouxun seems very sensitive and gets good audio reports but up to now I have only worked ‘locals’ on it. I did work Ian when he was in NP-005, but his signal from the Wouxun on the supplied ‘rubber duck’ was, unsurprisingly, not too strong. I have started a review on the rig, which can be found at http://www.summitsbase.org.uk/tiki-index.php?page=Wouxun+KG-699E ,but this is incomplete. I am awaiting the required connectors so that I can get it onto the Bird wattmeter and signal generator to do some measurements, and on to an external antenna to give it a real workout; then I will complete the review. For summit use, an external antenna is highly desirable. I use a ‘slim Jim’ style antenna made from 300ohm ribbon and it makes a collosal difference on both TX/RX on my other 4m handhelds. I can’t wait to test it on the Wouxun. Low band ‘rubber ducks’ are marginally better than a dummy load, so don’t expect great results from them. Like Andy says, don’t take much account of what someone with a vested interest in selling you brand ‘X’ has to say about brand ‘Y’.

Regards, Mike G4BLH

PS Currently, the cheapest I could find was £82 inc p&p (which is where I got mine - 5 days from it being posted to it being received). I know that another well known activator has one on order and he will hopefully be making his 4m summit debut in due course.

In reply to MM0FMF:

Hi Andy

Totally agree with the comments you made to Geoff.

I paid £96 incl p&p, although I have seen them cheaper as Mike BLH states. I took into consideration the sellers EBAY rating/feedback/comments etc and was not dissapointed.
For what you get, I believe that it is an excellent hh at nearly 2/3 off the price of other makes on the market and once I get a suitable adaptor and employ a vertical rather than the helical/dummy load, I think I will have excellent results from the summits this year.

This hh in my opinion at the price on offer is good value and I predict many SOTA activators will show interest that will at least double 4m SOTA activations in the coming year. For those interested in 4m activations… well the price is just right!

73’s

Ian 2E0EDX

In reply to M3EDX:

For those interested, this is the mini patch lead supplied by Garex for the Wouxun KG-699E. The quality is excellent.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7429709@N08/3296615317/in/pool-sota

Mike GW0DSP

In reply to GW0DSP:

Hi Mike

Totally agree. Tried out the minipatch on the Wouxun this morning and using the military antenna with three vertical elements only. Gave a call on both the Wouxun and the Pye Phillips and all appeared to be working well.

Therefore, I can only assume that this will now improve SOTA activations while using 70Mhz. Will definately be employing the military antenna from the top of the Old Man of Coniston tomorrow and also on Moel Famau & Foel Fenlli on Monday on my excursion into N. Wales, hope to work you from both summits…

73’s
Ian 2E0EDX

In reply to GW0DSP:

Mike

Found the link you posted to be a ‘bad link’ …

Ian
2E0EDX

In reply to GW0DSP:
Hi Mike I have clicked on the link and it comes up with page not found.Any ideas. Atb Geoff. G6MZX

In reply to G6MZX:

Try this link chaps, I’ve sent it to SOTA Flickr group, hope it works.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7429709@N08/3296615317/in/pool-sota

Mike GW0DSP