Winter Bonus?

Hi all.

Can anyone explain the winter bonus system to me ?

I activated a summit yesterday and logged the entries this morning but only received one point. Does the bonus only apply to certain summits ?

Liz

Hi Liz,

The bonus applies to summits 500m ASL and over here in the UK. The definitive document for bonus rationale, dates and criteria in each association is that association’s ARM (Association Reference Manual), as available on http://www.sota.org.uk

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M6EPW:

Does the bonus only apply to certain summits ?

Yes.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to M6EPW:

In Britain the bonus is for 2-point and upwards summits.

Brian G8ADD

In reply to M6EPW:

Hi Liz

One point hills in the UK don’t have the bonus points; all 2 point hills and above gain the extra 3 points.

I tend to save my nearby 2 point hills for winter bonus to maximise the points.

Carolyn

…or you did when you needed to!

A single one-pointer without any bonus is all you need now Carolyn. Any plans yet?

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

Sorry about the hi-jack

I have plans… nearly goated today but the forecast for above 2500’ in NW is not good so cancelled :o( I don’t want to do a quick climb and dash!

I started SOTA on a 10 pointer so want to top 1000 points with another 10 pointer… I can be patient :o)

Carolyn

In reply to G6WRW:

I can understand where you’re coming from. Being just 30 points from goatdom I’ve been thinking about how to hit the target. When I started I was trying to gain as many points as quickly as possible. Once you really do realise that, in my circumstances with a job and limited time to play, it was going to be a few years effort I stopped rushing for points and started picking the hills which were damn fine days out in the countryside. Now with the target almost in reach I’m back looking for how quickly I can sprint towards what should be the summit to goat out on.

To get back to Liz’s subject. Liz, I bet you felt gutted and cheated when you only got 1 point. I know I did when I did the same. Just after starting SOTA I did Allemuir Hill, a closeby summit in the Pentlands. Being so unfit it was a struggle of epic propotions, akin to Shackleton’s exploits in the Antarctic! Well that’s what it felt like. I worked a healthy number of chasers and walked down the path with a spring in my step which had been absent on ascent. There was one less happy bunny after the log was entered and I found out the bonus in the UK only applies to summits over 500m.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

akin
to Shackleton’s exploits in the Antarctic!

You have grossly underestimated Shackleton’s exploits in Antarctica. Having been to most of the locations he visited (including Elephant Island, South Georgia etc) and seen the South Atlantic at its worst, I remain in awe of what Shackleton achieved. The achievements of a Mr A Sinclair on the Allemuir Hills are not in the same league (whatever you might think)!

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to G3CWI:

I grossly misunderestimated my terrible lack of fitness at the time. It was a classic “how hard can it be”. The answer being “very for you, you big sack of lard!” Then I only got 1 point for all the effort, I was almost in tears :slight_smile:

I assume you visited his resting place when you were there. Which if I remember was 30 years ago. I’m sure memories of the time you were there and the visitors who called to have a look about will be quite fresh in your mind. :wink:

(Plans for tomorrow may need adapting: now snowing here and has been for the last hour).

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:
Thanks everyone.

I think I was just pleased to have qualified the summit this time out.

Last Friday I didn’t even get there due to the snow and the previous time I only managed to get three contacts as it is not one of the easiest summits to work in the Lakes due to its location and being surrounded by much higher fells.

Despite being -4 degrees up there yesterday, even in the midday sun, the views and photos on such a nice cold frosty sunny day makes up for the lack of points.

:slight_smile:

Liz

In reply to M6EPW:

Hi Liz,

In a little over a year, I’ve activated G/SP-004, 28 timse and G/SP-013, 24 times the overwhelming majority for no points, so I can see where you’re coming from.

73 Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to M6EPW:

Congratulations Liz on qualifying Hallin Fell. I’m sure I wouldn’t have done so that evening without help from you and Colin. I see you worked Colin UXH, I wonder if you were using a beam?

Karen

In reply to 2E0XYL:
Hi Karen

I was using the Icom IC-E90 and the 7m roach pole with dual band ladder line j-pole that I bought for Christmas

I managed to get Colin 5/3 and he received me at 4/1 but 145.400 turned out to be bad one to pick as it had a lot of interference on it, I suspect from a transmitter down the valley towards Pooley Bridge. All other signals were 5/9 so really pleased with that.

I would have liked to stay a bit longer than I did but at -4 degrees an hour and a half was long enough for me and the dogs.

Liz

In reply to M6EPW:

You all did very well lasting that long. It was only -3 on Shining Tor on Thursday afternoon, but the sun didn’t shine on us and the wind although light added a nasty windchill factor. After an hour and a half on the summit we had to leave without working 4 metres.

Karen

In reply to G3CWI:

I’m intrigued Richard. Did you actually manage to land on Elephant Island or were you passing by? I can heartily recommend Shackleton’s book ‘South’ to anyone with an interest in the outdoors. An ideal read for this time of year, particularly if you’re tucked up in a nice warm house.

I am now off out now to inspect the snow. I may be some time …

73 Rick

In reply to M0RCP:

inspect the snow

We’ve not got any. It’s frozen up though. Not sure what that means for tomorrow.

I refreshed my memory about Shackleton.

Endurance trapped in ice from Feb 1915 to Oct 1915.
Attemped to march 250miles to Paulet Island but failed.
Set up camp on ice floe till April 1916 when the ice split.
Spent 5 days in boats till landing on Elephant Island.
Shackleton and 5 others made an 15 day 800mile journey across S. Atlantic to South Georgia in an open boat. Survived hurricane force winds off Sth. Georgia before landing.
Shackleton and 2 others made 32mile land crossing of Sth Georgia to reach whaling station.
Made 3 attempts by boat to reach Elephant Island before 4th trip successfully rescued remaining 22 men in August 1917. All returned from the expedition.

I think I was in a similar ball park for endurance and hardship with my trip up Allermuir Hill on a cold day Richard. :slight_smile:

(runs and hides)

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to G3CWI:
Gosh Richard, you have induced great envy in me! I’d love to see that part of the world, I’ve only made it as far as Argentinian Patagonia. A friend in my Climbing Club ended up as Base Commander at Rothera and I love all his tales.

As you say, what those early pioneers did, particularly Shackleton, are quite beyond comprehension in these days of aircraft, search and rescue beacons, satellite comms etc.

Gerald
MW6AQU

In reply to MW6AQU:

Small World. I spent 2 winters at Rothera. It’s now much posher than when I was there! It’s also much safer. I was down there at a low point in terms of safety. At the time BAS were averaging losing 5% of their over-wintering personnel per annum…

Rick RCP: I have been on Elephant Island, South Georgia (including Shackleton’s grave) and many other places down that way.

Andy: I look forward to the book. Have you had any interest in the film rights?

Actually, I recall some parts of that Antarctic voyage very well. Even the thought of crossing from Elephant Island to South G in an open boat still makes me feel ill. It is almost inconceivable that it was done.

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to G3CWI:
Richard G3CWI :
I have a qsl from VP8ANT , worked 14.08.1983 , on 20meter ssb , sign. with the name Richard . I worked the station with my Yaesu FT-7 , with power 10watts.
I wonder if that was you ?
de LA8BCA Terje