WB Report 006!

First of all just wanted to thank everyone for all the contacts today!

Also wanted to apologise to anybody that wanted to work us on 4 metres FM. Due to the windy conditions both myself and Matt M3RLM were struggling to stop the fishing pole from flying away so we really had problems on 4 and I thought it best to end the transmission, some what earlier then I had hoped for!

However the 4 contacts made on 70MHz FM were great and I really do appreciate the efforts made by the people on this band. 70MHz is a passion of mine and I’m glad to be getting contacts on the band whilst SOTAring!!!

Also many thanks for all the guys on 2m SSB, especially Frank G3RMD for giving Matt his first QSO in nearly 4 years!! He seemed to enjoy it, but had typical microphone nerves!! However he is up for GW-MW-001 in the not to distant future!

As much as I enjoyed this Hill it is a lot of hard work for one point! Especially when you compare it to its neighbour WB-005 the Long Mynd Pole Bank and see the access road!

Many Thanks

Matt 2E0XTL (Now addicted to SOTA)

In reply to 2E0XTL:

Hi, Matt.

Addicted, eh? Oh, dear. :slight_smile:

I had hoped we might make a S2S on 4M today but the timing was all wrong. Well done qualifying Caer Caradoc on 4. Yes, it is a lot of work for 1 point - but what a stunning hill. I was in the clag first time I did it but it impressed me enough to make me go back on a good day. The views are awesome.

73, Richard

In reply to G4ERP:

Hi Richard

100% Agree with you on the views!!! Makes you realise why the Wrekin was chosen as a TV site!! The random hump in amongst the flat North Shropshire/South Cheshire Plain proves for good propagation!

Having said that Caer Caradoc is a great and interesting hill!! I’m hoping to get up the 3 southern WBs. Garway, Ruardean and May Hill within the next few weeks so should be able to do a S2S!! Need more people on 4!!

Matt 2E0XTL

In reply to 2E0XTL:

Need more
people on 4!!

Good luck with the 4m Matt. It is good to see people championing different bands and modes for SOTA.

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to 2E0XTL:

Having said that Caer Caradoc is a great and interesting hill!! I’m
hoping to get up the 3 southern WBs. Garway, Ruardean and May Hill
within the next few weeks so should be able to do a S2S!! Need more
people on 4!!

Hi Matt!

Glad you are having success on 4m. I have just ordered a Wouxun 4m handheld (5w) so hope to give you a few 4m S2S contacts in the next week or two!

Walt (G3NYY)

In reply to G3NYY:

Hi Walt

Good luck with the wouxun just make sure you deviate the microphone alot, as mine has a low microphone sensitivity and I have yet to find a way to increase sensitivity! I tested the audio levels using the harmonic of 70.45 on 140.9! However if you have access to 4m already then this should not be required HI.

Anyway look forward to working you soon Walt, lets hope that Wouxun do a 50MHz or 1200MHz handheld soon!

Matt (2E0XTL)