WB-002 and 004 Quick Report

Having activated both summits 3 days earlier, I was again, dragged up both summits today, by G1STQ …and all for no points :frowning:

Even this overwhelming gesture of generosity, didn’t stop him bleating all day. Quite frankly, he could give a paracetamol tablet a headache…

Anyhow G/WB-002 Brown Clee was the first stop and I fancied the X-300 collinear. With its 2 x 5ft poles not the easiest antenna to drag up a fairly steep ascent via the Shropshire Way.

The WX at the trig point was cold, however, the good news was the wind had dropped quite considerably from Wednesdays activation with M0TUB.

Upon setting up the collinear, I found that one of the ground planes was missing, so it was down to just two.

I worked for about 20 minutes running about 7 watts on 2m fm using the FT-857 and received some great signal reports. I think it was Frank G3RMD said it was the biggest signal he’d heard from this summit. The highlights had to be a contacts with M3WID who had never managed to work the Welsh Borders before and a contact with G3PGA in Fremington North Devon, a contact of about 180Km.

Meanwhile, John G1STQ was trying to work the 4m band with his brand new, expensive, rubber duck antenna. He made one contact before he managed to break it. I just about managed to keep a straight face ;-). He QSY’d to 40m, but it was wall to wall with WABers. This left 20m, where once spotted, he managed to work his way through a nice pile-up. At least, I did the decent thing and logged it for him :slight_smile:

Then it was off to G/WB-004 Titterstone Clee.

A quick walk up to the trig point, where John set up on 2m SSB and I elected to work 15m as 40m was still wall to wall.

Not too much to report on the 15m band, contacts weren’t easy to come by. Worked a few of the regular chasers VE2JCW, N4EX, WA2USA and a special event station from India AU2JCB. This station called and called and what would normally have seen a massive pile-up went virtually unanswered, so he qsy’d!

John seemed to be having some success on 2m SSB, before we decided to call it a day.

Thanks to all the chasers who took the time to give us a call…

Mike 2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:

40m’s full of WAB’ers ?? I don’t think so, there was only a WAB net on 7.158

73 Graham G4JZF

In reply to G4JZF:

In reply to 2E0YYY:

40m’s full of WAB’ers ?? I don’t think so, there was only a WAB net on

Sorry Graham, I probably misheard what John had said. He just couldn’t find a clear frequency on 40m. Both John and I worked Viki MW6BWA/P and Rod MW0JLA/P from Titterstone Clee car park on my H/H before we left, They were on GW/NW-022. Rod said he had given up trying to find a space on 40m.

Thanks for the contact today…

73 Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:

Sorry I missed you on Brown Clee, Mike. I listened out for you on Titterstone hoping you’d come on 2m fm :frowning: I could barely hear John on 2m ssb, he was right down in the noise.

Better luck next time!

In reply to 2E0XYL:

In reply to 2E0YYY:

Sorry I missed you on Brown Clee, Mike. I listened out for you on
Titterstone hoping you’d come on 2m fm :frowning: I could barely hear John
on 2m ssb, he was right down in the noise.

Better luck next time!

Thanks Karen. I worked VHF from Brown Clee and John worked VHF from Titterstone Clee. We didn’t stay too long on Titterstone Clee. Hopefully catch you on the next one.

73 Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:
Thank you for the apology.

73 Graham G4JZF

In reply to 2E0YYY and G4JZF:

I was on GW/NW-047 (Mwldwl Eithin) yesterday, using GW6DTN/P. I found the 40M band busy, as was 20M to the extent that when QRM on the frequency I was using became too bad, I couldn’t find another slot and had to go QRT. I was using the FT857 at 20W, a Z11-Pro tuner, 4M of counterpoise and a 7M vertical. 15 chasers worked on 40M and 17 on 20M. Best dx was VE2JCW on 20M.

Regards, Dave, G6DTN

In reply to 2E0YYY:

It always amazes me that there are of course 2 sides to every story, and you have had just a taste of Mickeys version of events…

Apart from my broken antenna and the fact I neally broke my back falling over in the snow - straight onto a rock! - I enjoyed the days activities very much.

Taking the mick out of Mick is all part of the fun.

Thanks to everyone who tried to make the contact with me and also for bearing with me sometimes in the pileup. Great fun.

Nice to work Vikki too, but I as I was in the car park at the time, no S2S.

Just to make you smile…ever seen a very small person trying to get into a Landrover?

Have a look at Mickey at

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w248/Jaytee1300/2011-12-10124817.jpg

Thanks once again,

73’s until the next time,

John

In reply to G1STQ:
Judging by his knee, he prays before he gets in the LR. Something to do with your driving? And where do you keep the parachute to help him get out?

Seasons Greetings, Dave G6DTN

In reply to M0DFA:
Getting him out Dave is easy.

I open the door and simply push!