Waun Fach Or nearby (for Sat 4th March, all welcome)

hehehehe I started laughing in the office with your replies!! :slight_smile: :slight_smile:
Im all for a second Sco Independence :slight_smile:

• I have planned spares on me and in the car. I dont think the walk to and from the summit is that long.
  • Im missing pants in terms of rain protection. I’ve got a Goretex (pro or whatever) jacket and GTX mid boots and a number of layers, synthetic and down if needed.
  • I dont think Ill get goretex pants (should i?), probably some Outdoor Research Helium maybe? Or not?

thanks

If you have a bike you can cycle up a zig-zag forestry track almost to the top. It’s then a short hike on a rough path up to the new ‘motorway’ that has been built across the bog. It’s then easy walking to the summit. I can provide details is required.

i think walking will do the trick, I don’t think a can cycle that good! (I don’t have a MTB too)

My preferred route is from Castell Dinas (SO 17621 30286) then up Y Grib (or Dragons Back) to Pen Y Manllwyn then on to Waun Fach.

73 Glyn

1 Like

Hi Tasos,

My over trousers are Scanda ones, probably not available any more - I seem to recall they may have been purchased from Blacks, but I’m not sure. It was many years ago when I started out in SOTA after a long long period away from the hills. Many outlets have inexpensive brands. It really depends on what budget you have and what you want long term. It would be silly to spend a lot on decent clothing and then lose interest in walking the hills, but if you are fairly certain you are likely to be walking the hills for the foreseeable future, then I can certainly recommend something of good quality like Paramo (other brands are available). Having worn mine for several years now, I find over trousers baggy and inconvenient for anything more than the simplest of walks. I retain them as back up of course. Worth looking around to see if you can pick up a bargain.

After all this it will be 18 Celsius, dry as a bone and wall to wall sunshine on 25th February… I have a feeling in my water! :wink:

73, Gerald G4OIG

1 Like

Gerald, Thanks for the tips!

I have probably misrepresented myself a bit :slight_smile: Im not really experienced with hillwalking in the UK (nice weather, predictable weather, warm… NOT :slight_smile: ). Maybe this is part of the other commitments I have while Im here.
Every time I travel outside the UK, mainly for work, I always look for local trails and National Parks.

I have spent a lot of time hiking around Colorado/Aspen (just amazing!!), Boston and Yosemite, as I travel to the US very often.

So all your tips for good quality gear are very helpful! Im always battling some health setbacks… but Im not planning to stop trying spend time in the backcountry. Going with very light gear is also another target as it helps with my little problems.

Thank you all!
73 Tasos

Tasos,

One thing to look out for especially with very cheap versus not so cheap over-trousers is the length of the zip. With cheap light-weight ones you will struggle to get them on/off over your boots. Some have really long zips, almost all the way up, so you can even keep your crampons on if you are careful!

One more point - in the UK be sure to ask for waterproof over-trousers. If you ask for waterproof pants you will end up with something else entirely!

You need the carrier-bag method. You need to carry a supermarket carrier-bag with your over-trousers. Normally, trying to get your boot down the leg of the over-trousers especially with lesser zips results in much snagging and difficulty. So place the carrier-bag over your boot and then put the boot + bag into the trouser leg. It will slide down without any effort and even if the ankle cuff is tight, it will slide over easily. Removal is easy if you but the bag over the boot as well.

Until you try it, you will not believe just how simple this makes the process. Also, it keeps the dirt on the boot from going over the insides of the over trousers.

heheh very true!!! My mom uses this technique to change sweaters after finishing the makeup :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: LOL
First time I saw this I though she will suffocate!

Still looking but the easy option would be a Outdoor Research Helium (around 70-80 quid?) or some Arcteryx GTX that range from 180 to 280 (some more… but its not for me).
If Ill go for a GTX Ill probably go with arcteryx as I’ve got a lot of their things and I like the fit/design.

PS: @MM0FMF you will need 10p per trip with the current bag prices :stuck_out_tongue:

They’re 5p in GM. We’ve had mandatory charging for a lot longer than in G. I built up a massive collection of free bags in advance of the charge. I have not bought a bag for many years!

1 Like

Ouch. That’s a lot for something you’ll probably end up ripping on a barbed-wire fence some day!

Mine were about ÂŁ30.

I had a similar though this is why I though of a 70quid cap. Not as ‘breathable’ (non of them are to be honest) as GTX but Im not going to cry if I rip them :slight_smile:

Arcteryx are a Tier 1 premium brand. It’s nice to have some top brand products. I have a Mountain Hardwear fleece bought in 1998 still in excellent condition. It was £100 then. Mrs. FMF was appalled I spent so much on an item of clothing made from recycled plastic bottles. She has bought many supermarket fleeces in the same time that have fallen apart.

I have some £40 in 2007 over trousers that work in anything other than Noah type floods. However, the best move was investing walking trousers that are “high-wicking” so they dry quickly in any kind of breeze. Most of the time I can get soaked in rain and with 15mins of the rain stopping, the trousers are mainly dry. Or dry where it matters.

I hope they last!! Probably my architect side keeps falling for the nice designs they’ve got. Its like Apple a bit :slight_smile: (not flame wars please! Im a vim guy :slight_smile: )

Same thinking here. I expect to keep my normal hiking pants without over-trousers for most of the light to mid rain falls. Water repellent coating helps a bit too.

[quote=“MM0FMF, post:33, topic:14577”] It’s nice to have some top brand products.

Mountain Hardwear fleece: Mrs. FMF was appalled I spent so much on an item of clothing made from recycled plastic bottles.
[/quote]

Mrs OIG was appalled at the cost of the Paramo jacket she bought for me Christmas 2014, but she’s just about over it now. It certainly transformed life for me. Less than half the weight and more than twice the warmth of my previous jacket. We pay for the technology, not necessarily what it is made from. Walking around in well over £500 worth of clothing does make you think…

I didn’t know this company. Nice designs.

[quote=“G4OIG, post:17, topic:14577”]
Traditionally I believe that a coracle is used

They are out of stock at Go Outdoors and I believe they won’t be having any more in stock. Pity, mine is almost worn out. :wink:
[/quote]I’ll build one to order if you want :slight_smile:
You just need to provide the correct funding…

1 Like

In preparation for the puddle jumping event next week ive got a solid goretex pant and did a test run by sleeping in my new -7 down bag and mat!
I need to find a better solution for my pillow for later trips as i cant sleep flat due to stomach issues. I usually take my normal pillows with me.

On a funny note, i googled triangle pillows (as it makes sense for me to use it as a wedge under the mat) and you only find some from sex shops hehehehe
I think ill look weird with a violet velvet pillow at the camp site heheheh

Would ‘V’ shaped Pillows or ‘Wedge’ Pillows be what you are after ?

1 Like

Yes, inflatable (and as light as possible for that thing)

EDIT: Thanks a lot @G0LGS , I wasn’t search with the correct term! I found one on eBay for 10 quid! Reviews from people with reflux problems were good! Cheers!