Walking Axe

My faithfull old long wood handle walking axe is due to retire at the end of the year. It has given years of service and only ever asked for a rub down with linseed oil.

The question is what to replace it with. Modern so called walking axes are very short by comparison and could not be used in “walking pole” mode without kneeling down!!

Am I missing something here - anybody have any words of wisdom on the modern short pole vouge, or can tell me where I can buy a proper long handled version please?

Cheers

Tim
G4YTD
(Stuck in the dark ages)

In reply to G4YTD:

Whilst I don’t consider myself qualified to comment I’ve never let that stop me before! So…

I have a Grivel Nepal which is about the cheapest non-tech axe I could find. I was sized in the shop by the “ice axe man” and the length suggested by him matched the size rules you can read about online. As he had many Nepals of assorted lengths and all the same price I can only assume he sold me one the right length as he had apprantly nothing to gain by selling me this one over the others.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:
Fair point Andy - cheers.
I am in Edinburgh again this week and spied a “Nevis sport” on George street… Hopefully they have a (politically correct) “Ice axe Person” available tonight for late night opening.

Will report back with the findings…

Tim
G4YTD

In reply to G4YTD:

It might be possible to revitalise your old axe with a new shaft, that certainly used to be an option!

Some of the new axes baffle me, I can’t see how they could be used for self-arrest…mind you, I had the same thought years ago when I bought a “Pterrordactyl” but ten minutes practise on a snow slope and I soon learned the trick!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G4YTD:

Tim,

The “tardis like” establishment of Tiso on Rose street is also worth a look if you’re doing a bit of gear shopping. (other gear shops are available)

http://www.tiso.com/uk_shops/edinburgh/

as for the long/short debate with regard to axes you might find this interesting reading…

http://www.mountaineering-scotland.org.uk/pitch-in/iceaxes.html

In reply to G4YTD:

Nevis Sport are on Rose Street (between Princes Street and George Street). Further along Rose Street (away from Waverley Station) is Tiso. Also, in Livingston not Edinburgh, is Cotwolds Outdoor. All 3 have a decent range of axes.

Not sure what the opening hours are for Edinburgh but Cotswolds is in a big shopping mall and I think is open till at least 7.00pm.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to G4YTD:

My faithful old long wood handle walking axe

You are not really Conan The Barbarian are you?

used in “walking pole” mode without kneeling down!!

Don’t know why but that vision has be laughing my socks off. Maybe you are meant to be up to your knees in snow?

(Stuck in the dark ages)

You are Conan The Barbarian!

Good hunting but watch out for those sabre toothed tigers in the high street ;0)

Evening All
Thanks for all the comments and pearls of wisdom…
I am now the proud owner of a Munro lightweight (by comparison to the old tree handled version) walking axe, and several quid lighter too to boot. Cant wait to try it in anger. This if course may be sooner than anticipated due to tomorrows wx forecast and a drive down the East Coast route home from Edinburgh,

Conan the Barbarian - not quite in physique unfortunately, but I can assure you that what is there is all natural, a product of Guiness and living in Hotels for the last 20 years Monday to Friday. I have been likened to CTB in attitude and temprement though by the blonde person…

As far a Sabre tooth tigers on the high street, I have witnessed some interesting sites, very likley to be more dangerous if tangled with than any beast of the hills. The grim look of determined retail therapy on the faces of the thronging masses buying Christmas gifts for people they probably can’t stand anyway…give me the hills any day.

Bah Humbug

Thanks again.

Have a good Christmas all

Tim

G(M)4YTD

(starting a two week holiday now - winter bonus points here we come)

In reply to G4YTD:

a product of Guinness and
likened to CTB in attitude and temperament
Bah Humbug

Tim we have so much in common.

Merry Christmas

Steve GW7AAV